Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Combat shirts: any practical value if not using IBA?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy Scout View Post
    LOL, agreed. If you’re an outdoorsy person, they are pretty good in the bush for cooler weather. The sleeves are tougher than the body which usually doesn’t get snagged but breathes better.
    This. I don't know the ins and outs of what Crye is and all that stuff. I grabbed a Propper "combat shirt" and pants in on of the alternative camo patterns. (I forget which one). It works good for hunting and outdoors stuff in mild to warm weather.

The heavier sleeves with zipper pockets are handy out in the sticks for carrying gloves, phone, etc.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    I confess to an interest in gear that was not issued when I was in, combat shirts being one of these.

But I don’t wear (or own) body armor - is there any practical value to owning one? A solid color Crye G3 combat shirt would look cool AF but a justifiable use for it would motivate me to disregard price tags and forgo frugality.

Thanks for any input.
    What can it do for $175 that this one can't do for $50?? T.R.U.® 1/4 ZIP COMBAT SHIRT

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a Proper, 5.11 and Crye combat shirts. The fit and finish of the Crye is better than the 5.11 and immeasurably better than Proper. I think you do get what you paid for, like anything else.

Flannel daddy has a good review:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ9U4Rpfn8g

There are plenty of ways to wear body armor and it depends on the temperature. I've worn it in classes over insulated base layers in the cold and I really like the Velocity rugby polos in the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    For the price of the CRY (your wallet will be) combat shirt you could buy a quarter zip issue Massif combat shirt and probably also a nice plate carrier.
    the Massif 1/4 zip is $220, the Crye G4 is $185. Where are you finding Massif 1/4 zips for like $30?

https://tacticalgear.com/massif-adva...4,22429/1&dl=b

https://cryeprecision.com/ProductDet...4-combat-shirt
    Last edited by Alex V; 02-15-21 at 14:05.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    OP, maybe it's time to consider furthering your evolution and get armored up. Not a bad thing.

Me, I have zero use for an ACS when not using armor.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    OP, maybe it's time to consider furthering your evolution and get armored up. Not a bad thing.

Me, I have zero use for an ACS when not using armor.
    You guys are persuading me, I confess ...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ashooter View Post
    I'm a portly 64 year old and have body armor. I figure why not. The cops have it so why shouldn't I have it! It like insurance, better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.
    You, Sir, are an inspiration to me. I appreciate the post, bigly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    I have a Proper, 5.11 and Crye combat shirts. The fit and finish of the Crye is better than the 5.11 and immeasurably better than Proper. I think you do get what you paid for, like anything else.

Flannel daddy has a good review:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ9U4Rpfn8g

There are plenty of ways to wear body armor and it depends on the temperature. I've worn it in classes over insulated base layers in the cold and I really like the Velocity rugby polos in the heat.

the Massif 1/4 zip is $220, the Crye G4 is $185. Where are you finding Massif 1/4 zips for like $30?

https://tacticalgear.com/massif-adva...4,22429/1&dl=b

https://cryeprecision.com/ProductDet...4-combat-shirt

I would check Ebay, over $200. for a Massif shirt is more than a little high.

Bought new ones at surplus stores for $50. or less, used ones for less than that, got to look around.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    I couldn't get longer than 3 months out of the issued Massif's before tearing holes across the upper back/shoulders. Plus they smell like a cat pissed on a pretzel. The forearms are way too tight and if you were issued them like I was in the pre-zipper collar days, you probably both cut the sleeves off and cut the collar to help them be somewhat comfortable.

My currently issued Crye uniforms have all held up well and are very comfortable, particularly the combat pants. I would not pay retail for either of them, but you can get the shirts on the used market for $100-$125 in the common sizes like M-R. How much it's worth is up to how frequently you wear them. I serve a lot of warrants in the summer so I appreciate having the combat shirts.

If I had to buy my own combat shirt, I would get one of the 1/4 zip Tru Spec ones. They're very cost-effective and comfortable. I have one in woodland that I picked up on a whim for like $60, and it's easily on par with the Crye in terms of quality and comfort.
    Last edited by GTF425; 02-16-21 at 08:28.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    I couldn't get longer than 3 months out of the issued Massif's before tearing holes across the upper back/shoulders. Plus they smell like a cat pissed on a pretzel. The forearms are way too tight and if you were issued them like I was in the pre-zipper collar days, you probably both cut the sleeves off and cut the collar to help them be somewhat comfortable.

My currently issued Crye uniforms have all held up well and are very comfortable, particularly the combat pants. I would not pay retail for either of them, but you can get the shirts on the used market for $100-$125 in the common sizes like M-R. How much it's worth is up to how frequently you wear them. I serve a lot of warrants in the summer so I appreciate having the combat shirts.

If I had to buy my own combat shirt, I would get one of the 1/4 zip Tru Spec ones. They're very cost-effective and comfortable. I have one in woodland that I picked up on a whim for like $60, and it's easily on par with the Crye in terms of quality and comfort.

I've tried to phase out all the old ones (pre-collar) from our gear. My son likes them and hangs on to them- holes and all... I told him he can't be a tactical hobo LMAO.

Honestly the Condor knockoff quarter zip short sleeve shirt is pretty comfortable, it's right there with the issue one IMO. Under a plate carrier in 3 seasons it's really comfortable.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    I told him he can't be a tactical hobo LMAO.
    Hahahaha. Stolen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast