Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M1a or M4 with magnetic for SHTF

Feedback Score

M1a or M4 with magnetic for SHTF

i love my M1a but i feel the M4 with steel core covers all the bases and much better

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ask yourself these questions. Which weapon would I rather be toting around for a lengthy period? Which weapon is it more likely that I will be able to carry more ammunition on me and it not be a huge burden? Personally, my SHTF weapon is my M4A1 SOPMOD Block II clone. If I have to resort to fighting from a fixed position where I have a long range of sight, I have my KAC SR-25 Match (w/ factory Mk11 Mod 0 conversion). I would not want to carry around a .308 of any kind for a SHTF weapon.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    I have a true m4 and m4a1 clone,the m4 with a ta31,and the a1 with a 512 eotech and chopped carry handle for the iron sights,both with kac ras and surefire m951’s.neither is very lightweight,but it seems the m4 with the government profile 14.5” is much lighter and would be my go to.i wonder what the weight difference is between the m1a and my clone of a late 90’s m4?
    My m4 weighs 9.1 pounds with the m951 and an unloaded surefeed 30 round magazine,blue force gear sling and an arms mount under the ta31.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Ask yourself these questions. Which weapon would I rather be toting around for a lengthy period? Which weapon is it more likely that I will be able to carry more ammunition on me and it not be a huge burden? Personally, my SHTF weapon is my M4A1 SOPMOD Block II clone. If I have to resort to fighting from a fixed position where I have a long range of sight, I have my KAC SR-25 Match (w/ factory Mk11 Mod 0 conversion). I would not want to carry around a .308 of any kind for a SHTF weapon.
    Well said and 100% spot on.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopharted View Post
    i love my M1a but i feel the M4 with steel core covers all the bases and much better
    I found my M1A less accurate and less reliable and heavier than my M4 ish rifles. If I felt I needed a 308 I would choose one of the more modern platforms. M1A wouldn't be my choice in any situation now except as a fun range gun.

Feedback Score
    im in agreement , i was on another board and a fella said it would be a M1a , and i didnt understand his logic

the scenario proposed you were out the door and were allowed one weapon of your choice , anything from a sling shot to a sniper , something that we as civilians would have within reasonability

i love my M1a , but i also know its limitations a faults , my big argument with him was fatigue as stated here , and M4 will most likely be outfitted with the widest range of possible needs , if someone is snipering from beyond 300 yards the M1a isnt going to be the equalizer , if inside a 100 yards mobility is going to kill you

if you are using steel core it will make up for the punch the M4 gives way to the M1a

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

~SNIP~

if you are using steel core it will make up for the punch the M4 gives way to the M1a
    I don't agree with this statement. I would say the ability to penetrate cover is a pro of the 7.62 that does not overcome the weight penalty it incurs. I would rather run bonded expanding than steel core ammo to have more consistent results on target anyway.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Which platform encompasses a higher level of training for you?

Personally, I probably have 10k+ through the M1A (and variants) platform. However, that pales when compared to the hundreds of thousands of rounds I have, and the much much higher level of tactical training that I have with the AR15/ M4 platform.

Another factor to consider is the overall amount of support equipment I own for various platforms. With the AR15/ M4 series of weapons, I can perform armorer duties and diagnose, then repair issues all day long. I have never able to accumulate 1/10th of that same support for anything M14/ M1A related (actually far less than 1/10th).

My personal compromise involves the AR10 family for roles where a heavier weapon is needed than the 5.56 caliber.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I don't agree with this statement. I would say the ability to penetrate cover is a pro of the 7.62 that does not overcome the weight penalty it incurs. I would rather run bonded expanding than steel core ammo to have more consistent results on target anyway.

Andy
    We need to also remember that if penetration is the driving factor, and nothing else matters, the 7.62x39 cheap steel core ammo punches holes pretty nicely. Its not perfect by any stretch, but it has a price tag that support training and shooting with ease.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Your ammo will run out. Your weapon will break. I don’t know of many people with 7.62 or M1A parts to spare.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast