Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: M1a or M4 with magnetic for SHTF

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Whatever the locals carry. In platform and caliber.

Reason being? "Battlefield pickups" in both ammo, mags, and weapon systems.

You see many PDs or NG armories (sp?) stocking M14s or 7.62 ammo in quantities? Me neither. I wanna run a system where parts, mags, and ammo are common in the locale. I don't have .gov logistics supporting me.

In the US, an AR and a Glock are my choice.

Feedback Score
    I have 3 M1A rifles in different configurations. All are absolutely reliable. And they are a good option for static positions. But if I had to only grab 1 long gun and go, it would be my AR. I have no illusions of going on patrols anymore. Age and medical conditions are a fact of life for me. My days of carrying heavy loads under stressful conditions are long behind me.

Feedback Score
    Nice thread. You all are reliving the arguments that lead to the adoption of the M16 in the first place. The M16 grew out of studies that most infantry combat took place at less than 300 meters and you didn't need the longer range of the .30-06 or .308. You just needed to control the infantryman's half kilometer which became 460 meters. And add to that the need for a fully automatic weapon. Now enter Eugene Stoner and the AR15 is born just in time for Vietnam. I won't go into the teething troubles the M14 had and the rise of McNamara and his whiz kids. Read Ezell and the books: The Black Rifle and the M14.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mlberry View Post
    Nice thread. You all are reliving the arguments that lead to the adoption of the M16 in the first place. The M16 grew out of studies that most infantry combat took place at less than 300 meters and you didn't need the longer range of the .30-06 or .308. You just needed to control the infantryman's half kilometer which became 460 meters. And add to that the need for a fully automatic weapon. Now enter Eugene Stoner and the AR15 is born just in time for Vietnam. I won't go into the teething troubles the M14 had and the rise of McNamara and his whiz kids. Read Ezell and the books: The Black Rifle and the M14.
    I've had the M-14 book since 1992. The Black Rifle not long after that. Thanks.

Of course the M-16 rollout went without a hitch.

I do believe that just about every poster in this thread has said AR > M-14. Just an observation......
    Last edited by ABNAK; 03-04-21 at 05:03.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567