Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: M1a or M4 with magnetic for SHTF

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    LOL,,,,yes you got me on this one for sure !!
    My good son constantly dogs on me about how inferior the M4 stuff is.

He was 'explaining' it to me recently and said, "With an M4 - if you decide to bayonet some fool you have to walk up and stick the bayonet in him. With a Mosin you stick it in and then walk up...".

Made perfect sense to me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    "Bigger bullet" is only useful for anti-vehicle or barrier penetration.

Otherwise, juice ain't worth the squeeze.

For accuracy, any well built AR that's set up right can get you there.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post

He was 'explaining' it to me recently and said, "With an M4 - if you decide to bayonet some fool you have to walk up and stick the bayonet in him. With a Mosin you stick it in and then walk up...".

LOL, yea for sure! Don't want to get sidetracked too much but there was a day when you could outfit 6 buddies buy more ammo than you could shoot in a lifetime & head to the range for under $400 bucks !! Those days are long gone, unfortunately!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    "Bigger bullet" is only useful for anti-vehicle or barrier penetration.

Otherwise, juice ain't worth the squeeze.

For accuracy, any well built AR that's set up right can get you there.
    [caveat: I agree with the M4 > M14 hypothesis, just playing Devil's Advocate]

As far as vehicles or barriers is concerned it can easily be suggested that crew-served weapons in the bigger .30cal category could fill that role, if you're in an infantry unit. That obviously wouldn't be applicable in the OP's stated "SHTF" scenario.

That said, some 5.56 rounds are better for punching through stuff than others, but even the best ain't gonna beat most 7.62x51 in that category. M995 might be a limited exception but it's not a panacea "do-all" round, not to mention good luck getting your hands on any!
    Last edited by ABNAK; 02-16-21 at 17:50.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    Your ammo will run out. Your weapon will break. I don’t know of many people with 7.62 or M1A parts to spare.

Bought PILES of M1a spares from 1998 -2000. Your good friend Willy Clinton crunched the shit out of several hundred thousand M14s---trigger groups $25, bolts $25, gas cylinders $35, stocks 6/$50, flash hiders $15....

I'm set for awhile....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    Well said by about everyone, now have said buddy go with you on a walk of a few miles then hand him 11 lbs of bricks, rocks or whatever in a backpack that's what 200 rnds of 308/7.62 is then a barbell for rifle or better yet make it what say 500 rounds weight not 200 😉 logically it's not deer hunting where you only need a box of 20. Then have yourself a 6-8 lbs board with handles and backpack with about 1/3 of the said quantity. 1/3 of the weight would be about the same amount of 5.56 it doesn't take long for someone to decide what's better. One of my team leaders I had wanted a M14 to use for a dismounted patrol in Iraq about 5 klicks later he didn't want it anymore. I told him he could swap with his 249 gunner. After that he stuck with M4 w203. It stayed in case on truck after that. 30 years ago I was running around in SWA with a 23 lbs machine gun (M60) and 1000 rnds of 7.62 ammo (55lbs) then ok now hell no.
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    i absolutely love my M1A and it is maybe my favorite to shoot when i do shoot it. I don't shoot it tons due to more expensive ammo. However, i would not at all take it anywhere if things went sideways. for that job, a m4 clone is much more practical, the ammo easier to find or share, and lighter to carry by a bunch.
    but for pure smiles at the range, the M1A is hard to beat and every AR shooter around me loves to try it out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Restricted View Post
    The M1a seems to be the Mini 14 of the 308 World. I've always wanted an M1A and don't get the argument that about accuracy. 2-3 Moa on a human target is something Ill take all day. Same with my Mini. Will it clover leaf @ 100 yards? Nope. But will it hit a torso and put someone down...
    That's a really good analogy of the M1A and Mini 14. Both about equally less reliable, practical and accurate vs modern M4 ish and SR25 types. If you feel a real need for something more than 556 I can't think of any reason to go with M1A over SR25 types or LMT,etc

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Some folks live in jurisdictions that require the use of neutered ARs. In that situation the M1A is a very viable weapon.

Of course if SHTF there are bigger concerns than complying with mala prohibita laws.
    "One can lead a child to knowledge, but one cannot make him think."
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post

That’s funny

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast