Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Geez. I’ve been crazy lucky building ARs! Why hasn’t everyone?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    I am kind of surprised with some folks saying that they have never assembled an upper yet are big enough AR fans to be on this sight. I am far from the most mechanically inclined person, but I have built 9 uppers and 7 lowers. It really is not difficult, learn how you should assemble an upper and take your time. With that said, I have had issues with two builds. An AR.308 and an AR in 7.62x39. Figured out both in short order. You Tube and other places are great sources of information. It is also much easier to do things right with the correct tools. Premium parts make it easier, but not essential.
    I like the gun, not the build. Outside of pulling the trigger I have no interest in majority of guns and even the few historical, unusual and cool guns I still only really want to see how they shoot. I don't care for diagnosing problems if one should arise. I'm not going to spend hours researching, asking online questions, trying different methods. I don't have the time and especially the patience. I'll simply buy one that works.

Way back maybe 10 years ago I picked up a Colt 6721. It had the old style thin plastic grip and I wanted to change it. Bought a Magpul grip and when I went to install it I had issues with that little spring. If it was mid day and the gun store was open I would have traded it in. Period! I finally got it but was so annoyed that I haven't touched that rifle since.

You know what a stock 6920 looks like? That's what all my ARs look like. I don't have the slightest interest in playing dress up with my firearms. A light and a RDS is as crazy as I get! I just like the pew pew pew part.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have not built, but had built for me and have had very very few issues. And I run them suppressed. I've always wondered why some folks are always having issues. But it comes down to quality parts put together well.

I bought one shitty Faxon barrel and the gun shot like shit, but it shot. Colt, BCM, DD and LMT = that shit runs.

And the boards are filled with ASKholes. They ask and don't follow prudent advice given here. I came here knowing nothing, but I followed good advice.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 02-22-21 at 17:11.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I like the gun, not the build. Outside of pulling the trigger I have no interest in majority of guns and even the few historical, unusual and cool guns I still only really want to see how they shoot. I don't care for diagnosing problems if one should arise. I'm not going to spend hours researching, asking online questions, trying different methods. I don't have the time and especially the patience. I'll simply buy one that works.

Way back maybe 10 years ago I picked up a Colt 6721. It had the old style thin plastic grip and I wanted to change it. Bought a Magpul grip and when I went to install it I had issues with that little spring. If it was mid day and the gun store was open I would have traded it in. Period! I finally got it but was so annoyed that I haven't touched that rifle since.

You know what a stock 6920 looks like? That's what all my ARs look like. I don't have the slightest interest in playing dress up with my firearms. A light and a RDS is as crazy as I get! I just like the pew pew pew part.

Don't take it personal. Good for you in doing what you want to do. All good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I have not built, but had built for me and have had very very few issues. And I run them suppressed. I've always wondered why some folks are always having issues. But it comes down to quality parts put together well.

I bought one shitty Faxon barrel and the gun shot like shit, but it shot. Colt, BCM, DD and LMT = that shit runs.

And the boards are filled with ASKholes. They ask and don't follow prudent advice given here. I came here knowing nothing, but I followed good advice.

PB
    Good brands for sure. I have a couple BCM uppers that have been great. I also have an AR.308 with a faxon barrel that shoots moa all day. On an AR.308 I built.
    Last edited by Red*Lion; 02-22-21 at 18:18.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don't take it personal. Good for you in doing what you want to do. All good.
    Not taken personally just trying to convey the point of why some don't care about building

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Not taken personally just trying to convey the point of why some don't care about building

I cant build jack shit. Have no interest in it and I'm lucky to have friends that are very capable.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I am kind of surprised with some folks saying that they have never assembled an upper yet are big enough AR fans to be on this sight. I am far from the most mechanically inclined person, but I have built 9 uppers and 7 lowers. It really is not difficult, learn how you should assemble an upper and take your time. With that said, I have had issues with two builds. An AR.308 and an AR in 7.62x39. Figured out both in short order. You Tube and other places are great sources of information. It is also much easier to do things right with the correct tools. Premium parts make it easier, but not essential.
    May or May not be difficult, depends on the person and skills I think. I’ve never built one & doubt I will, don’t think I have the skills. Tried swapping hand guards on an upper the other day & well the bench is still covered in screws and parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    “If you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow” Chuck Colson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think it's a blast. I enjoy the sense of accomplishment, and I enjoy tailoring things to my liking. It IS like Legos for adults.

If I had the resources I'd assemble them regularly.

Feedback Score
    I have to admit that back when working (more than) full time, raising a family, and all that, i was simply an avid AR user, not builder. Now children grown and gone, happily retired, with time on my hands I really enjoy the art and craftsmanship of building, testing and fielding a quality AR rifle. While actually pretty simple and straightforward, building these rifles was, for me, a learned skill. It started simply swapping barrels and gas system parts after Form 1’ing a couple of carbines and has progressed to building (not perfect) clone rifles such as my recent Mk-12 SPR build.

One can obtain great satisfaction not only envisioning and purpose building an AR, but also the range time in testing and commissioning the rifle. More than worthwhile time spent in these “golden years”.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456