Thread: If you are contemplating a CZ DA/SA please consider... the TRS

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If you are contemplating a CZ DA/SA please consider... the TRS

Just a thread about what I see as the Achilles heal of the CZ 75 - the trigger return spring.

I normally dry fire for practice. Keeping the skill to keep the irons still in DA - the first and most important shot. I also try to remember to oil the spring coil per some folks observations.

I recently broke another TRS on a P09. I likely have broken 11 - 12 springs over time. I stopped counting years ago. On only 2 did I ever just dry fore like crazy to brake them in. Some will join in here and say they never have broken a spring. The only way to do this is to not shoot or dry fire much - or rotate them out religiously.

I don't keep log books. I hate too much organization.

On this latest, I just estimate I likely had over 1000 pulls of the trigger and not likely more than 2000 on this particular P09. Live rounds, about 300. I do believe it was a CGW spring. I have a few Shadow 2 springs, but this is not one of them. This is typical for me - from 2000-3000 pulls and it will brake.

The longest I had one last was in my original PreB - many years ago I read on this site that the way to break them in was to dry fire the snot out of it. SO I did each night and just fired away. I estimate it had 4-5000 pulls. It broke. I've never gotten as much since and the abuse was there.

If a gun lasted 5000 routinely this would not be a big deal. I broke 7 or so in one year - back on a bad run of springs in 2003.

I also heard one of our Cajun friends tell me the 75 TRS is a design flaw. I fully believe it. If you look at the construction, installation and angles involved it looks convoluted - especially against other designs. Usually, when something looks bad it is. Not always - but in this case it is a sort of Achilles heal of the CZ 75 design - and unfortunately, the P series copies it.

I just love to shoot these guns, but folks who may not have the money and time may want something that doesn't need this level of attention. I don't think other guns do as poorly on a small cheap part. I don't mind replacing them in a P gun, but on a P01 its tough. I try NOT to dry fire the P01 nearly as much, and that is a shame.

My purpose is a note of caution for those who shoot them a bunch, and/or dry fire them regularly, and carry them. If you are into competition, you are in a different boat and you likely know to rotate them.
    Last edited by m4brian; 03-26-22 at 09:16.

Feedback Score
    It’s true and the problem seems worse in the polymer guns. Some guns seem less affected. When I was shooting USPSA I replaced them at 5,000 rounds and never had one break on my Shadow 2s. More rounds than that they would get sluggish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    It’s true and the problem seems worse in the polymer guns. Some guns seem less affected. When I was shooting USPSA I replaced them at 5,000 rounds and never had one break on my Shadow 2s. More rounds than that they would get sluggish.

I used to dry fire my CZ 75 pre-B a lot, but certainly not as much as you and never broke a trigger return spring. A slide stop yes, always kept a spare in the bag. I did oil the spring as a precaution.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I used to dry fire my CZ 75 pre-B a lot, but certainly not as much as you and never broke a trigger return spring. A slide stop yes, always kept a spare in the bag. I did oil the spring as a precaution.
    Slide stop…yes. The second fatal flaw of the CZ 75. I was told by everybody how bad they were and they would break all the time. I saw one dude break his in the middle of the stage with his Bull Shadow that was literally a brand new gun. I always carried two spares to matches, but I skated by never breaking one. I was real lucky with my CZs that I never had the problems I witnessed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Are there any aftermarket solutions to the TRS failing and also slide stop breakage?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GNXII View Post
    Are there any aftermarket solutions to the TRS failing and also slide stop breakage?
    There are aftermarket TRS, but the same problem exists. It’s a design flaw and fairly common amongst DA/SA guns in general.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    There are aftermarket TRS, but the same problem exists. It’s a design flaw and fairly common amongst DA/SA guns in general.

When you really examine the trigger return spring on the CZ 75 model which carries over into other CZ guns, you can see the design flaw at work. The spring itself is fairly light and the legs are long and the position in which it is installed is quite compromising.

So why own one you ask? Because, they they are so easy to shoot well and if you have the right gun and do the right work the trigger can be pretty darn good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    When you really examine the trigger return spring on the CZ 75 model which carries over into other CZ guns, you can see the design flaw at work. The spring itself is fairly light and the legs are long and the position in which it is installed is quite compromising.

So why own one you ask? Because, they they are so easy to shoot well and if you have the right gun and do the right work the trigger can be pretty darn good.
    I agree, 100%. First ever 100 on a B8 @25 was with a Shadow 2. I love them. I just don’t carry one.