Feedback Score

My first precision semi-auto rifle

Aero Precision FDE lower
    Lapped upper receiver
    24" .223Rem Wilson Arms bull barrel
    LaRue MBT
    Magpul fixed stock
    Nikon 3x9x40 BDC scope

Glass needs an upgrade. The handguard is obviously old-school, but has a pic rail at 6 o'clock for a bi-pod. Not sure what scope I'm going to move to, but I'm not wealthy so anything decent in maybe a 6 to 18x would be a big improvement when it comes to shooting tight groups.

Twist rate seems to be 1:8, I'm eager to try to find some 69-75 gr match bullets to load, I have a few pounds of RL-15 for that and 2015, for some Hornady 55gr fmj-bt, not an optimal powder, but it will work or at least I have load data for it, and in these times it's hard to be picky, and I have enough of those for a while. Finding match bullets that I can load to magazine length, that's turned into quite a challenge.

I have 100 or so 75gr ELD projectiles, I bought them, unaware they're not able to be loaded to magazine length, so that's a bummer. Tried to seat one anyway in an empty unprimed case, just to see where the seat depths required to be to meet magazine length, seems to be the case mouth is just into the ogive, so that's unacceptable.

Anyway, thoughts? I was able to get a quick 50yards zero on it with M193. Weather was bad, raining, cold and I was shooting standing shooting off a ladder, but I got it close.

P.S. no signs of over pressure from the M193, in what I'm expecting is a .223Rem chamber since this barrel is from the early 2000s.
    Last edited by OldArmy01; 02-16-21 at 05:10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OldArmy01 View Post
    Anyway, thoughts? I was able to get a quick 50yards zero on it with M193. Weather was bad, raining, cold and I was shooting standing shooting off a ladder, but I got it close.

P.S. no signs of over pressure from the M193, in what I'm expecting is a .223Rem chamber since this barrel is from the early 2000s.
    The barrel should be marked as to what chamber it has, No?

Granted all the barrels / rifles I have like that are carbine length / carbine gas but... They will not digest M193 / 5.56 pressure stuff without protesting and it usually results in an instant death sentence for the brass. (with true .223 match chambers)

Yes, They will send the bullets down range but you definitely know something is not right. LOL!

The spares above got sent off to CLE and Frank rechambered them in CLE .223 match. Those will digest most 5.56 stuff just fine but in stock form with their original .223 chambers - Nope...

Feedback Score
    There’s no markings on the barrel what so ever.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, I guess you can do a chamber cast with cerrosafe to determine?

To be safe, just load and shoot .223 through it.