Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PSA KS-47 Mods

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    I have 3 AR47's
    With the right mags they're 100%. All 3 are midgas, 2 PSA, 1 Alpha Shooting Sports 10.5" with a PSA lower.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NQNPIII View Post
    I have 3 AR47's
    With the right mags they're 100%. All 3 are midgas, 2 PSA, 1 Alpha Shooting Sports 10.5" with a PSA lower.
    Good to hear. Did you build them yourself, I have not seen mid-gas offered on PSA’s website

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have 3 AR47's
    With the right mags they're 100%.
    And theres my problem! I understand nothing is going to be 100% but I can't buy 10 mags to hope some work and the rest are a waste of money.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Buy Duramag, formerly C Proucts Defence. Right now very few sellers offer a ready made mid X39 upper. JSE had some a while back. My PSA's were complete. On has ab A2 FSB , the other is a floater. The ASS was expensive CHF nitride. It's out of stock. Primary Arms has the barrels listed. Everything is hard to find even straight from the barrel makers. BCA has them sporadically. Not nitride.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    And theres my problem! I understand nothing is going to be 100% but I can't buy 10 mags to hope some work and the rest are a waste of money.
    Try the Unimag. They run 100% in my Windham and Bear Creek 7.62x39 AR15’s. In fact, they are 100% on full auto when I put either upper on my M16 lower. They’re on sale for less than $20. As a bonus, they don’t have the pronounced curve of typical 7.62x39 magazines.
    https://rossdefensesystems.com/products/unimag
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ma82EphaORQ

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Try the Unimag. They run 100% in my Windham and Bear Creek 7.62x39 AR15’s. In fact, they are 100% on full auto when I put either upper on my M16 lower. They’re on sale for less than $20. As a bonus, they don’t have the pronounced curve of typical 7.62x39 magazines.
    https://rossdefensesystems.com/products/unimag
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ma82EphaORQ

Feedback Score
    To update about a month ago I picked up the KS47 lower with upgraded trigger and magpul furniture and the 16” upper with the 13” mlok handguard was delivered. I also picked up the ks47 builders kit with stripped upper, lower and bcg. Everything looked great finish was perfect everything was stocked properly the upper and lower had a tight fit. The trigger is really nice. I’ve had it to the range twice and ran about 600 rounds through it. Unfortunately I keep getting a failure to extract about once every mag. The round extracts from the chamber but does not leave the upper and the bolt tries to chamber a new round. After getting back from the range the first time I cleaned the chamber really well and replaced the extractor springs, I didn’t have an ejector spring to try replacing it. The second trip to the range was the same so I sent the upper back. It sucks because this rifle is really accurate for shooting wolf 7.62x39. With iron sights it’s just under 2.5”. At 100 yards with a 4x acog I had a five shot group measure 1.68” and a ten shoot group that measured 2.33”. At 300 yards I was getting 3moa.

I bought the builders kit with the intention of building a 5.45x39 that takes ak74 mags. Now I’m thinking the juice is not worth the squeeze, just stick with the 7.62x39 if PSA fixes it.
    Last edited by Pikey; 05-16-21 at 10:57.

Feedback Score
    I bought the uppers already built.

Feedback Score
    I bought the uppers already built.
    I bought a already built upper and a already built lower as well as a builders kit. The KS47 upper and a model one 5.45x39 upper are the only two uppers that I have bought already assembled and they only two that I have had trouble with.
    Last edited by Pikey; 05-16-21 at 11:48.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Has anyone converted a KS-47 to except AK74 mags? I have searched but without much luck. Looks like it has been done but I have not found any details. The barrel would be easy enough, looks like two of the bolt lugs would need to be re profiled. So what about the lower? I do not have any AK74 mags to compare with AK47 mags. How do AK74 mags demensions compare to AK47 mags? Any input would be appreciated.
    I came across this thread because I was wondering the same thing. I do know AK-74 mags will lock into and even feed in an AK-47 receiver. Here's a pic of one in my AMD-65. I Like to call it the AMD-74 You can actually cram about 10 rounds of 7.62x39 in there. I don't own a KS-47, but if the geometry of the receiver can lock in an AK47 mag then it would be reasonable to expect an AK74 mag to lock as well. Again, I don't own a KS-47 so I can't confirm this.

Someone asked this same question on the PSA forums, here's a quote from one of the PSA engineers:
    "The KS47 was designed for the AK47 magazine in many different fashions. In short, the AK74 mags simply will not function due to the dimension and design of the AK74 magazine.
    In order to work, we would have to re-engineer another lower to fit exactly with the KS74 magazines. If it were just a magazine change and a bolt change, we would have already come out with a KS74."

I still think it can be done in home or a basic machine shop though. A wise man once told me "You can accomplish anything with a Dremel and a dream"

I hope this info helps a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I bought the builders kit with the intention of building a 5.45x39 that takes ak74 mags. Now I’m thinking the juice is not worth the squeeze, just stick with the 7.62x39 if PSA fixes it.
    I think doing something challenging and unique is worth it just to say you were able to. Or just for tits and pickles. I'm currently designing a 3D printable AK bullpup kit just because I can.
    Last edited by RangerOfTheOrder; 06-02-21 at 10:32.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast