Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: PSA KS-47 Mods

Feedback Score
    AK74 magazines and magazine wells are longer (front to back) and not as wide (side to side) versus 7.62x39.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    AK74 magazines and magazine wells are longer (front to back) and not as wide (side to side) versus 7.62x39.
    Length wise, AK74 mags lock firmly into both my AMDs, but there's a little bit of wiggle from side to side. I just went ahead and measured the mags. The 47 mags were 25.7mm wide and the 74 mags were 24mm wide (measured from the middle of the top) Front to back both the 47 and 74 mags were 65mm long (measured from directly under the front locking tab parallel to the feed lips.)
    The wiggle might be able to be addressed by shimming up the receiver, but the length checks out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerOfTheOrder View Post
    I came across this thread because I was wondering the same thing. I do know AK-74 mags will lock into and even feed in an AK-47 receiver. Here's a pic of one in my AMD-65. I Like to call it the AMD-74 You can actually cram about 10 rounds of 7.62x39 in there. I don't own a KS-47, but if the geometry of the receiver can lock in an AK47 mag then it would be reasonable to expect an AK74 mag to lock as well. Again, I don't own a KS-47 so I can't confirm this.

Someone asked this same question on the PSA forums, here's a quote from one of the PSA engineers:
    "The KS47 was designed for the AK47 magazine in many different fashions. In short, the AK74 mags simply will not function due to the dimension and design of the AK74 magazine.
    In order to work, we would have to re-engineer another lower to fit exactly with the KS74 magazines. If it were just a magazine change and a bolt change, we would have already come out with a KS74."

I still think it can be done in home or a basic machine shop though. A wise man once told me "You can accomplish anything with a Dremel and a dream"

I hope this info helps a bit.

I think doing something challenging and unique is worth it just to say you were able to. Or just for tits and pickles. I'm currently designing a 3D printable AK bullpup kit just because I can.

A Bulgarian AK74 mag will fit into both KS47 lowers that I own. But with the AK74 mag inserted into the lower the upper will not fit/close on the lower. The front of the AK74 mags sit higher in the lower just enough for it to be a problem. I’m thinking that the bolt on the front of the lower that the front lug of the magazine locks up with could be ground down some or the front mag lug. That would cause the front of the mag to sit lower. I’m not sure how this would effect feeding. I could experiment with one mag to find out. The only decent 5.45x39 barrels/bolts that I can buy now are model one sales. Replacement parts for the KS47 are impossible to get now. The Galil Ace 5.45x39 will be available soon and I think that might be the best way to go.

I think that the reason PSA has not come out with a KS74 is because they already have more than they can handle. I sent a Ks47 upper back for repairs over six weeks ago and was told today that they are still waiting on replacement parts. PSA has gotten to big for there britches.
    Last edited by Pikey; 07-05-21 at 15:14.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    PSA has gotten to big for there britches.
    Actually sounds like business as usual. Roll the dice and get what you get. Hasn't changed since day one.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    That’s why I don’t gamble.

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    That's why I will bevel my PSA gen2 lower to look like my gen3. Josiah said to send it back. Nope. I have a Dremel, scribe, and calipers.
    Last edited by NQNPIII; 07-14-21 at 16:05.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NQNPIII View Post
    That's why I will bevel my PSA gen2 lower to look like my gen3. Josiah said to send it back. Nope. I have a Dremel, scribe, and calipers.
    I just checked the calendar it’s been 10 weeks now. Good thing PSA has a lifetime warranty. I just wish that I could of figured out what was wrong with it myself and just fixed it. Although I think that a rough chamber was causing the problems.

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    I just checked the calendar it’s been 10 weeks now. Good thing PSA has a lifetime warranty. I just wish that I could of figured out what was wrong with it myself and just fixed it. Although I think that a rough chamber was causing the problems.
    I was speaking about my PSA AR10. It was running fine but was crimping the brass. BCG was whacking the area @2, 11, and 5 o'clock.

Feedback Score
    A Bulgarian AK74 mag will fit into both KS47 lowers that I own. But with the AK74 mag inserted into the lower the upper will not fit/close on the lower. The front of the AK74 mags sit higher in the lower just enough for it to be a problem. I’m thinking that the bolt on the front of the lower that the front lug of the magazine locks up with could be ground down some or the front mag lug. That would cause the front of the mag to sit lower. I’m not sure how this would effect feeding. I could experiment with one mag to find out. The only decent 5.45x39 barrels/bolts that I can buy now are model one sales. Replacement parts for the KS47 are impossible to get now. The Galil Ace 5.45x39 will be available soon and I think that might be the best way to go.

I think that the reason PSA has not come out with a KS74 is because they already have more than they can handle. I sent a Ks47 upper back for repairs over six weeks ago and was told today that they are still waiting on replacement parts. PSA has gotten to big for there britches.
    Obviously the Galil Ace would be better, but it would be no where near as cool. The mag experiments would be appreciated, then we'd have the mags figured out.
    The next question that needs to be answered are the barrel and bolt easily changed? The OD of ar-15 barrel extensions are standard, although given the 7.62 is more similar in size to .308 than to 5.56, I wouldn't be surprised if the OD is the same as an AR-10 barrel. If that's the case, then a spacer would have to be machined, which wouldn't be crazy hard for anyone with a lathe and a little know how. If anyone wants to remove their KS-47 barrel and take some measurements of the barrel extension it would be very useful. As well as measurements of the bolt and BCG.
    I guess the feasibility of this endeavor hinges on one thing. How much of the KS-47's guts were made using existing tooling, and how much are proprietary? I'd have to imagine they've used modified AR-15 or AR-10 parts for ease of manufacturing.
    Last edited by RangerOfTheOrder; 11-11-21 at 11:02.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerOfTheOrder View Post
    Obviously the Galil Ace would be better, but it would be no where near as cool. The mag experiments would be appreciated, then we'd have the mags figured out.
    The next question that needs to be answered are the barrel and bolt easily changed? The OD of ar-15 barrel extensions are standard, although given the 7.62 is more similar in size to .308 than to 5.56, I wouldn't be surprised if the OD is the same as an AR-10 barrel. If that's the case, then a spacer would have to be machined, which wouldn't be crazy hard for anyone with a lathe and a little know how. If anyone wants to remove their KS-47 barrel and take some measurements of the barrel extension it would be very useful. As well as measurements of the bolt and BCG.
    I guess the feasibility of this endeavor hinges on one thing. How much of the KS-47's guts were made using existing tooling, and how much are proprietary? I'd have to imagine they've used modified AR-15 or AR-10 parts for ease of manufacturing.
    For right now I’m trying to get the original KS47 chambered in 7.62x39 to run. I have installed a Rock River Arms 7.62x39 extractor and BCM spring etc. I’m also going to build a custom buffer and experiment with different weights, as is it recoils like a .308. I’m planning on taking it out this weekend. PSA didn’t do anything with it when I sent it back.

If anyone is looking for 7.62x39 extractors Rock River Arms has all of the bolt carrier group parts.

ETA: Any AR barrel will work with the KS47. If a person could get the magazine figured out then the only other mod might be to radius two of the bolt lugs. As far as I know at this time the only production 5.45x39 barrels and bolts are from Model One. 4140 barrels and I don’t know about the bolts. I bought a 5.45 upper from model one and it doesn’t like wolf I haven’t tried 7N6 in it yet.
    Last edited by Pikey; 11-11-21 at 12:10.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast