Thread: LMT MWS upper out of spec

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

LMT MWS upper out of spec

Hey guys, no secret here I drink the MWS koolaid. But I just finished building another MWS by purchasing a stripped upper in Burnt Bronze. I was able to mount an ACOG, but when I went to mount a scope, my Bobro or Geiselle mounts would not fit inside the rail slots.

I talked to a girl at LMT that said, did you try REAMING it out. I said no beuno. I wasn't quite ready to take a file to my MWS before I ever shoot it. I left a message with another guy who is supposedly "the guy who can help me".

Does anyone have a cerokote situation like this?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Yeah, cerakote does that. If they manufactured smaller than spec to make up for coating thickness, stuff will be loosey-goosey if (when) the coating scuffs or wears. It's not like anodizing which is a non- build-up coloring-hardening treatment of the outer layer of the material itself.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    While Anodizing is a conversion, it does build up, especially Type III hard.

Tolerances and etching before anodizing are used to ensure finished parts remain in spec. It is well known, pretty minimal, pretty consistent, and thus usually accounted for.

Painting a gun tan is more likely a sales decision and thus “looking pretty” is probably a higher concern than specifying a max build up.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Fire up the Dremel!!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Joe Hajny is the guy you need to talk to at LMT, he’s active on the “LMT Owners Owners” Group on FB.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I had a Geissele mount that wouldn't slide into the pic rail of a BCM upper receiver. It was legit out of spec and was replaced. Dumb shit does happen...

Feedback Score
    Good info. Now I will know if and when I get my MWS colored.

Feedback Score
    Sticking to Black, and spray paint

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMT/556 View Post
    I had a Geissele mount that wouldn't slide into the pic rail of a BCM upper receiver. It was legit out of spec and was replaced. Dumb shit does happen...
    Yea, but I tried both the G and Bobro mounts so..
    It's the upper
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"