Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scorpion mags.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Scorpion mags.

Any experience with Monticore Arms mags? Any particular ones to stay away from?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I haven’t tried their mags. I will say I didn’t have a positive experience with magpul mags in my CZ. I was getting weak and erratic ejection. Sometimes it wouldn’t even eject the spent round and lock that sucker up so good that I couldn’t pull the bolt back to release the tension. I had to pry the case out with a multi tool. After investigating online I found others having the same problem. There’s some YouTube videos on it. What was apparently happening was there was enough conflict between CZ and Magpuls tolerances that the magazines would cause drag on the bottom of the bolt and slow it down. I had no problem with CZ factory mags, and all I buy now is the CZ gen2 windowed mags. I gave some of the Magpul ones to CoryCop, maybe he’ll see this and chime in because I haven’t touched base with him to see how he made out.

Feedback Score
    Haven’t used manticore but have used factory clear 20/30 rounders, factory black 20 rounders, and Magpul. I have an older model Evo that didn’t fully insert black factory 30 rounders (which I sent back) but will insert newer black 20 rounders. The Magpul mags would lock up the bolt on the older model and I had to file the top of the the feed lips (a very little bit) to make them work which they then did. Also had to fit the original factory clear 30 rounders bought about the same time as my older model Evo. Lol, then took a few coils off the clear 20 rounders it came with so it wasn’t over pressured ( I think CZ recommended it).
    If I were to buy Evo mags now I would buy Magpul 35 rounders and factory black 20 rounders. If I couldn’t get the Magpul to work, I would try newer factory black and then clear if that failed.
    I also have a newer model Evo which runs with the mags I modified for the older Evo.
    Haven’t used the Manticore mags so can’t comment on them except that the separate metal feed lips sketched me out a bit.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good info. I’ve been buying mags for my scorpion that I got a little over a week ago but haven’t shot yet (9mm allocation issues) so far I’ve got one clear 20rnd mag that I found at the range like three years ago, two factory black 20s that came with the gun, three clear 30s and three Magpuls. It kinda sounds like maybe the factory black 30s are something I should be buying. Unfortunate because they are more expensive than the other options.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anything on the PSA AKV mags? My understanding they're interchangeable (AKV and Scorpion) and the PSA are made by magpul and the same 35 rounds. On PSA website they're listed as having stainless steel feed lips.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Good info. I’ve been buying mags for my scorpion that I got a little over a week ago but haven’t shot yet (9mm allocation issues) so far I’ve got one clear 20rnd mag that I found at the range like three years ago, two factory black 20s that came with the gun, three clear 30s and three Magpuls. It kinda sounds like maybe the factory black 30s are something I should be buying. Unfortunate because they are more expensive than the other options.
    After handling and shooting the factory and Magpul mags, the Magpul seems subjectively like the better mag. Though I have not shot ass loads through them or “tested” them in any particular way. Put another way, if I could only have one type, I’d pick the Magpul. Second choice would be black factory. Just my opinion.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteMe View Post
    After handling and shooting the factory and Magpul mags, the Magpul seems subjectively like the better mag. Though I have not shot ass loads through them or “tested” them in any particular way. Put another way, if I could only have one type, I’d pick the Magpul. Second choice would be black factory. Just my opinion.
    Maybe you got lucky with them. I and others didn’t have such luck. If you search around different forums you will find discussions on their issues. I had failures with 6 of the 8 magazines I initially bought. That was enough for me to have zero trust in them. Are the gen2 magazines more expensive? Yes. They are as robust as the magpuls and a huge improvement over the cz gen1 magazines. The increase in cost to me is worth the piece of mind I get from knowing they will not cause malfunctions.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Anything on the PSA AKV mags? My understanding they're interchangeable (AKV and Scorpion) and the PSA are made by magpul and the same 35 rounds. On PSA website they're listed as having stainless steel feed lips.

Yes the PSA mags work and function fine in my newer production Evo (mid 2019) and the do have steel feed lip inserts but they don't drop free. I mostly use the Magpuls as they drop free and have had zero issues during 1k+ various 115gr rounds in USPA before the ammo crunch. I don't have any experience with the oem mags beyond the two 20s that shipped with it. They drop free as well but seem fragile.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Maybe you got lucky with them. I and others didn’t have such luck. If you search around different forums you will find discussions on their issues. I had failures with 6 of the 8 magazines I initially bought. That was enough for me to have zero trust in them. Are the gen2 magazines more expensive? Yes. They are as robust as the magpuls and a huge improvement over the cz gen1 magazines. The increase in cost to me is worth the piece of mind I get from knowing they will not cause malfunctions.
    Is there a way to tell a difference between gen1 and 2? Or are all new ones sold today gen2?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Is there a way to tell a difference between gen1 and 2? Or are all new ones sold today gen2?

The gen2 are all black with windows.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/cz-scorp...-magazine.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast