Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Primers getting wet?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    i must be missing something. why are we firing primers in a revolver? is that supposed to test something?
    It's to test a sampling of suspect primers without wasting powder, projectiles, etc. It's easiest in a revolver, because there is no pressure to cycle the slide on a semi-automatic handgun and feeding primed brass without a projectile will often make it difficult to feed.

You test the primers in primed brass, not blanks.
    Last edited by T2C; 02-21-21 at 07:03.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I agree with the suggestions to test them, but I suspect they'll fire just fine.

Back in my youth, I tried to kill some shotgun primers with WD40. I submerged them and soaked them for about a week. After the soak, I "tested" them by bashing them with a hammer (I was younger and dumber...). Every single one went off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    It's to test a sampling of suspect primers without wasting powder, projectiles, etc.
    Plus, for those of us who don't have a shooting range in our own backyard, it can be done at home...

Feedback Score
    Lol I got the questionable primer issue. I was just wondering why you’d test them in a revolver instead of whatever you normally shoot them in and why you’d do it without powder and bullets.

It seems like people advocating that are assuming if something is wrong, it would be just failure to go bang. But it could also be more difficult to go bang or it goes bang but at a higher or more likely lower energy level. So if I were testing I’d want to test in the gun I plan to shoot them in and over a chrono to make sure rounds that used to do 1300fps arent now going 1100fps or something.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I took 200 rounds of loaded ammo and shot them with my Sig Legion X5 striker gun, my B&T APC Pro and my Czechmate 75. All went boom boom.

Happy day, now I can load the rest of the 4,000 rounds in question.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Huzzah!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Huzzah!
    I loved that series. The Great!!!!!Huzzah

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    The flash holes get enlarged to increase velocity with their plastic training bullets (according to Speer at least) and no, The primers will not back out if you don't.

Without a real bullet and / or powder it is not happening. Wax or plastic bullets that are primer powered only do not make enough pressure to move a primer in an otherwise good primer pocket.
    I have only fired a primed case once in a firearm and I absolutely yield to your experience when you say it is not an issue to do so.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-22-21 at 16:29.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123