Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther Arms new PDP

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCrum87hc View Post
    If you're on IG, go watch the @waltherarms latest live video. They addressed it on there. They said that due to the tapered screws they use, as the screws tighten down on the plate, it pushes the plate up against the front of the cutout, where most of the force occurs.

They also said they have tested the pistols extensively without any plate issues. I believe he said some of the pistols tested in Germany have over 70,000 rounds plus their defense division guys having over 10,000 rounds on a few of their PDPs without any plate issues.

On a separate topic, I have the full size PDP, and the 18 round mags aren't available quite yet. I was looking at the Canik 18 rounders, and they appear to be identical. If anyone has some of them, would you mind testing to see how they function in the PDP?
    I sourced a half dozen OEM Canik 18 round magazines. They are made by MecGar, indistinguishable from the PDP OEM 18 round mags, except they say Canik on the baseplate. Work perfectly for me.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I sourced a half dozen OEM Canik 18 round magazines. They are made by MecGar, indistinguishable from the PDP OEM 18 round mags, except they say Canik on the baseplate. Work perfectly for me.
    Awesome. Thank you for that. I knew they were both made by MecGar and appeared identical, but couldn't be 100% sure. I'll have to pick some up if I can find any in stock. I had to do that with, I believe, the baby desert eagle mags when the PPQ first released.

Feedback Score
    If you're on IG, go watch the @waltherarms latest live video. They addressed it on there. They said that due to the tapered screws they use, as the screws tighten down on the plate, it pushes the plate up against the front of the cutout, where most of the force occurs.

They also said they have tested the pistols extensively without any plate issues. I believe he said some of the pistols tested in Germany have over 70,000 rounds plus their defense division guys having over 10,000 rounds on a few of their PDPs without any plate issues.

On a separate topic, I have the full size PDP, and the 18 round mags aren't available quite yet. I was looking at the Canik 18 rounders, and they appear to be identical. If anyone has some of them, would you mind testing to see how they function in the PDP?
    I don’t have IG. That is interesting, I’d like to see it in person wedging it against the cutout. That just doesn’t make sense because a screw is tapered 360* around. Is there a way to watch it if you don’t have IG? I looked on YouTube and couldn’t find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    I don’t have IG. That is interesting, I’d like to see it in person wedging it against the cutout. That just doesn’t make sense because a screw is tapered 360* around. Is there a way to watch it if you don’t have IG? I looked on YouTube and couldn’t find it.

I don't think so. The positioning of the holes in the slide vs the holes in the plate were mentioned too. I'll be interested to see it in person when my optic arrives.

Feedback Score
    I don't think so. The positioning of the holes in the slide vs the holes in the plate were mentioned too. I'll be interested to see it in person when my optic arrives.
    It would seem if not a perfect plate to slide fit, it could be bad. But who knows? I’ll wait around and see. It seems it would have been easy to put some lugs on there. Screws just seem as though they can pull two surfaces together but not take reciprocating force.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is the concern that the mount will fail or the optic will be damaged?

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post

Here is a link to the VP of marketing and product development at Walther in the USA addressing the concerns of some people about the optic plate mounting system on the PDP pistols. Around the 2:40 mark in the vid.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMP5eJBK1Qo/
    Last edited by Biggy; 03-12-21 at 13:21.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link. I’ll give it a watch.

Feedback Score

Walther Arms new PDP

Ok watched it. That was kind of a shit explanation. Tapered holes? The taper runs 360 degrees, man. If their machining is that good that’s one thing. But “tapered holes” is not a good explanation to give me any peace of mind. I will hold off for a bit before considering one. It’s hard not to when I have money burning a hole in my pocket...but I also got Glocks everywhere.

The optic gets beat up by going both directions. Let’s assume every screw was perfect, that’s still only one ledge it’s pushed against. I see no possibility this is superior to the PPQ mounting system. I think it was just poor engineering and they are trying to cover for it. Then they say “70,000 rounds” but they didn’t say if it was one gun, one optic, mounted once, etc. it also didn’t say what kind of firing schedule, drop testing, etc.

I guess time will tell.

Last edited by PracticalRifleman; 03-13-21 at 07:41.

Feedback Score
    Got to play with a compact model at a LGS (already was sold awaiting customer to pick it up). Great trigger, love the grip design. Yes the slide is wider, appears “blockier/stockier” than the PPQ and G19. I will try to pick one up eventually.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast