Thread: Background check question

Feedback Score

Background check question

Just out of curiosity does anyone know if an NFA check follows the same procedures as security clearance and credential checks?

I know that for clearances and creds, which are often redundant. They basically look from "today" back to your last check. So for me they would be looking at the last 6 months and I would get a check back much faster than a guy who is a first timer or a decade out.

Just a random thought about one of the apparent disparity in approval turnaround. Although it really should be electronic and nearly instant in this day and age.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Not really an answer to your question however I've always heard that a security clearance does nothing for the nfa background check. So I would assume they run the same time frame and intensity for every one they do.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Background checks for NFA, NICS query for the disqualifying criteria for possession of firearms. It's pretty minimalist, with additional work only if conviction information lacks necessary detail or clarity. In that event, they contact the originating agency for the entry and make a records request. CCWs and the like may include additional criteria (involvement/intelligence/behavioral/lesser convictions) locally applied as law allows.

Security clearances don't mean anything outside the organizations or circumstances in which they're required and applied. People vastly overestimate their value.

In general, the terms "background check" and "security clearance" are also vague and meaningless without knowing exactly what we're talking about.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I was just curious. The NFA check should really just be an NICS check, the standards are the same. Not even sure why they want prints other than just to make you send em and add a bit of PITA/drama. Outside of TV crime shows prints are fairly useless as a search tool.

I know how actual background checks work from the "user" side, not the inside baseball aspects. What I see is if a guy had a check for entity X last year it shows up. So when he gets run by entity Y this year they look for flags until they hit the last check, read that synopsis, and they are done. In practice, if I need a PIV card to access a secure facility my approval/enter on duty comes back in short order. I have seen guys who have never had one or are far from their last that take much longer. Now, I do not know exactly why. Not privy to the intricacies inside the system. Just observation over time and what I have been told when submitting. I am told that your last synopsis will keep a running list of any/all historical flags so the new entity can make their own determination of fitness.

I just occasionally see "Jim" had an F1 SBR approved in 30 days while "Bob" has had his F1 SBR in for 6 months and wondered if there was commonality. Random speculation.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Just out of curiosity does anyone know if an NFA check follows the same procedures as security clearance and credential checks?
    No it is not the same. The current NFA check is just a NICS check. They are not even running your prints anymore. This has screwed a lot of folks who cannot pass a NICs check (name similar to felon, etc), but can pass a fingerprint check.