Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 35 remington obsolete?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    It may not be as popular as the 30-30, but the .35 Rem is not going away anytime soon.

Andy

Feedback Score
    My goodness, did you guys buy all that 35 Rem. (120 boxes) at SG?
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    My goodness, did you guys buy all that 35 Rem. (120 boxes) at SG?
    I got a couple
    ”Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American… The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people”
    ~Tench Coxe

Feedback Score
    I got 5
    Semper Fi, Tres Deuce. Rest In Peace GM, MG, JK, CC. KIA May 2, 2008 - Freedom has a taste the protected will never know at a price they cannot understand.

Feedback Score
    Allow a HUGE fan of the 35 Remington to express a few thoughts.
    6 years ago my boys expressed a strong desire to start deer hunting with me. FANTASTIC I thought. Now what rifles to buy. I have been reloading for 33 years over 22 for rifles. 90% of my deer hunting had been in shotgun only states and I ALWAYS hated paying $2-$3 a round for factory shotgun sabot ammo as I couldn't get the components to reload my own saboted shotgun ammo of equal performance.

Thankfully my home state began allowing bottle necked HP cartridges on both public and private ground all be it with certain restrictions most have been lifted for private land but not public. The best performing factory (non- wildcat) round I could find that would be legal for both public and private land was the 35 Remington a caliber that was essentially previously unknown to me.

My research showed it to be a VERY effective 200-225 yard deer round and as I already had on hand suitable powders and primers for it in large quantities all I needed was bullets brass and dies which I quickly acquired.

Now for rifles. The fully rifled shotgun of choice is IMO without doubt the Savage 220 which again IMO has no pier as dedicated fully rifled shotguns go and costs closer to $500 than $400 most places.
    So my budget for 35 Remington chambered rifles was the same.

Luckily I found two mint LNIB JM stamped ( non- Remington made) Marlin 336c in 35 Remington for sale at GB from private parties and bought both. One was W/S&FFL $585 the other $565. I felt both were fair and acceptable prices.

When I got both I was quite frankly shocked at just how beautiful and elegant these two rifles were. I own VERY few wood stocked blued rifles and these JM stamped Marlins were by far the nicest looking rifles I own The walnut furniture was beautifully done and the checkering was excellent. The bluing was very very rich and very deeply colored. Was also very surprised at the triggers on both rifles. Equal to my Tikka's and M700's they aren't but very crisp and near zero OT and about 4.5lbs.To be frank I was a little concerned about turning over such beautiful examples of extreme firearm craftsmanship to a 11 and 13 year old, but hoped my years of firearm handling education and educate would keep the Marlins mostly damage free.

Then I set out reloading for both.
    Used Speer 180 grain Hotcore bullets I purchased standard Fed and Win LG/RF primers and H335 and IMR3031 as that is what powders and primers I had on hand. Used Hornady brass as that was the only brass I could find for sale. So far its been great hope so as I bought a BUTT LOAD.

I used Redding FL sizing die with the mandrel removed and a LEE Collet die to size the necks and a LEE factory crimp die.

Considering these were lever action rifles I set my accuracy goals on the conservative side of anything at or below 2.25" MOA at 100 and I was going to be happy.

I must say no rifle I have ever owned or reloaded for more pleasantly shocked me than these two Marlin 336c's did and continue to do so.

Disclaimer these are my reloads and I recommend them to no one and advise all do their own load development. Thay are well over published max for the newest 35R reloading data but still under vintage out of production reloading data.

My reloads with both H335 and IMR3031 gave me consistent 100 yard accuracy from 1.5" to 1" for 5 shot groups with many at or slightly below 1moa, but honesty demands I judge them to be 1.3" 100 yard guns from the bench based on 10 5 shot groups.
    I was using a vintage 1970's Speer reloading manual to base my reloading data on.

IMR3031 ended up giving the most velocity before I heeded caution on the amount of powder I was using. I did get best accuracy at 40.5 grains of IMR3031 and no indications or signs of excessive pressure what so ever, but backed my charge weights down to 38.5 as I still got excellent accuracy.
    The load I am using gives a MV of 2330fps for a 10 shot average.
    My boys have yet to kill a buck as they are letting the small ones walk but have each taken a doe every season thus far and a few coyotes and not a single deer or yote went more than 40 yards before dropping.
    I shot one very large doe at 145 LRF confirmed yards and she was DRT.

If you can find a JM stamped 336c in 35 Remington at a reasonable price it will serve you very well as a 200-225 yard deer rifle.
    One last thing I did acquire a third JM stamped 336c in 35 Remington as it was affordably priced and simply to beautiful for me to pass on and it is every bit the shooter it's safe mate's are.

Unfortunately for the 35 Remington very few rifles currently in production for the caliber, and any JM stamped 336c's or Remington 760's or 7600 still left for sale are commanding prices above what I paid especially a Remington 7600.
    Still kicking myself for letting a vg condition 7600 in 35 Remington slip through my fingers to this vary day.

The 35 Remington is IMO far from obsolescence. Just buy in bulk when factory ammo (especially Remington Core Lockt ammo is available) or invest in a FL, seater. Lee Collet and factory crimp die and some good 200grn RN bullets or my personal faves Speer 180 Hotcores.
    As been said you arent shooting the 35R for anything else but hunting and sighting in for same.
    As I reload and have a butt load of components and powder I reload 180 grain Hornady .357 XTP's for fun plinking loads for ringing steel and killing clay birds.
    The 35 Remington with my light reloads using 180 XTP's are great inexpensive fun range loads. My boys actually prefer the 336c over my 9mm carbines
    But with the current situation concerning reloading components they will have to be happy with shooting the 9mm carbines as my 9mm reloads are the same cost now as current 22lr prices and the cost of a 35Rem reload has gone up significantly. Thankfully I bought a butt load of 357 XTP's
    Last edited by DMTJAGER; 05-24-21 at 01:23.

Feedback Score
    A great round. Back in the 90’s my dad carried a Win. Mod. 94 in 30-30 and I had a Marlin 336 in 35 rem.

35 rem wasn’t as easy to find on the shelf as 30-30 but in the woods it was obvious it hit harder.

As mentioned above, it’s one of those calibers usually only made once a year so stock up when you find it, but it’s not going anywhere.

Feedback Score
    Buffalo Bore has 35 Rem available. It's really expensive ($76 a box) but it's 220 gr. at 2200 fps, and it's in stock. If you use it for hunting and only fire a few shots a year, that price might not be that bad. A few years ago when I was deer hunting, I made the mistake of taking a shot at a huge bore hog that was quartering towards me. Shot at his front shoulder with soft tip .223. Didn't phase him at all. I knew that wasn't a good shot to take but I got excited. I should have waited until he turned broadside or aimed behind the ear. From now on, I will be taking my 35 Rem Marlin JM loaded with this Buffalo Bore ammo.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=40

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Great post DMT! I have 2 JM 336 carbines in 30-30 (pistol grip and straight gripped) and a pre-safety 1894C .357. They are all very well made guns, beautiful lines to me. My scoped 30-30 shoots about like you reported, wearing a steel tube Weaver 4x scope. There is no question in my mind the 35 Rem is a better game round, but the 30-30 can hold its own.

Andy

Feedback Score
    I like JM Marlins too. Here are mine.

'78 RC 30/30
    '89 AS 30/30
    '50 SC 35 Rem

Feedback Score
    I've read the .35 Remington is more prone to light primer strikes due the shape of the neck or something.

Is that true?

.35 Rem typically a 200 gr bullet @ 2000 fps from a 20 in. barrel, right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast