Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Milspec AR15

Feedback Score

Milspec AR15

Now don't get me wrong. I am glad they did it. If the AR15 didn't use milspec specifications then we wouldn't be able to mix and match parts from all these different manufacturers.

But, since the AR15 was for the civilian market and not ever issued to the military why was it 8manufactured milspec.

Now this is a technical question for someone who knows the history of the AR15's development.

My theory is since the manufacturers were already set up to produce the m16 then it only made sense to produce a civilian semiautomatic version with basically the same parts.

Is the only difference really the fire control system?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The first civilian AR15 was the Colt SP1, which was essentially a semi automatic M16. M16 is the military designation, and AR15 was the original Armalite designation, AR being their abbreviation for Armalite.

Yes, the only substantive difference between a civilian/LE AR15 and a military M4 is the lower receiver and fire control group. Now that's Colt, mind you. Obviously you have a plethora of AR variants that are way off the reservation, where virtually nothing is interchangeable.

The original design is pretty much intact, with only a few minor updates. The largest of which was the flat top upper. There are more subtle changes that were made over the years, like the feed ramps being slightly tweaked.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    double tap

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Bottom line is that the AR-15 existed before the military M-16. Colt did not make a civilian version of the M-16; the DoD type-classified the AR-15 as the M-16.

Andy

Minor correction for clarity
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-20-21 at 19:05.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcoodyar15 View Post
    Is the only difference really the fire control system?
    On a good gun, Yes. That and the internal milling of the lower receiver, and one less hole reamed for the auto sear.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    On a good gun, Yes. That and the internal milling of the lower receiver, and one less hole reamed for the auto sear.
    If you get a low shelf receiver, the internal milling isn’t really different.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcoodyar15 View Post

But, since the AR15 was for the civilian market and not ever issued to the military why was it 8manufactured milspec.

What are you talking about? You are making the back end of my brain pan hurt ...
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    What are you talking about? You are making the back end of my brain pan hurt ...
    You have to play the name game semantics. The AR15 was never issued to the military. The M16 was. Totally different. Completely. Couldn’t be any more different.

It’s just intellectual dishonesty.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Are you familiar with, "The Chart," perchance?
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Bottom line is that the civilian AR-15 existed before the military M-16. Colt did not make a civilian version of the M-16; they made a miitary version of the AR-15
    Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    You have to play the name game semantics. The AR15 was never issued to the military. The M16 was. Totally different. Completely. Couldn’t be any more different.

It’s just intellectual dishonesty.
    Let's get a few things straight:

1) The original AR-15, as designed and built by Armalite was a select-fire weapon, and there for not "a civilian version".

2) The later Colt's Manufacturing examples of "XM16"s were identical to the AR-15 in every way, except for the Marking of "XM16", and "US Property" markings.

3) The AR-15 was purchased and issued to "the military", Malaya bought some, the US Army bought some for testing, and a number (1000 to be exact) were given the Republic of Vietnam for issue to their troops and US Advisors.

4) The semi-automatic version of the "AR-15" came about after the events of item #3, so the "civilian version" post-dates the "military version".
    Last edited by lysander; 02-20-21 at 17:05.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast