Thread: SW 4506-1. From 45 acp to super

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

SW 4506-1. From 45 acp to super

What spring weight do I need in order to experiment with 45 Super in my SW 4506-1?

Is a recoil spring conversion the only step required to transition to the higher pressure cartridge?

Will this simple fix sooth my desire for a 10mm? Ah! Only I can know that. But! Anyone here find that the 45 Super does scratch that itch?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Question should be how long will my frame last?

Unknown with the .45, but I managed to crack a couple each of the alloy and steel 59/6906 frames.

I would say your choices are smack your hand with a mallet or pick a decent 10mm if you want more power.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The purpose of the handgun will be backcountry hiking protection. Michigan and Indiana. Moose, black bear, and human miscreants. I have been using my SW 6" 41magnum. I do like double action revolvers. Just testing the waters of the semiautomatic world before I commit $$$ towards a G20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    The purpose of the handgun will be backcountry hiking protection. Michigan and Indiana. Moose, black bear, and human miscreants. I have been using my SW 6" 41magnum. I do like double action revolvers. Just testing the waters of the semiautomatic world before I commit $$$ towards a G20.
    Dude, take the .41 mag! Do you reload for it? You should. Can make .41 Specials & such.

But yea, .45 Super will scratch that itch.

I didn't know a 4506 could manage it. I'd feel better were it an HK.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My current handload for the 41 magnum is 230gr hardcast at 1250fps.

I read somewhere in John Linebaugh's observations that 1200 fps is the desired velocity. Just get that big bullet moving and let it cut and penetrate.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yeah man, stick with the 41Mag. That hogleg round , properly loaded, will wreck a bear, moose etc. Although I’d prefer an 870/1301 with slugs & buck,lol! The 4506 is discontinued and parts ain’t that easy to find as you probably know. Why push the platform to the breaking point literally with a somewhat obscure round with questionable record on those critters you mentioned. A dedicated 10mm platform will do the job and there a few choices out there. As an older, wiser gunsmith once told me, stick with the caliber roll marked on the gun for accuracy, reliability etc.