Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy shiite Batman.....jet engine falls apart over Denver

Feedback Score

Holy shiite Batman.....jet engine falls apart over Denver

https://www.foxnews.com/us/plane-exp...-safely-at-dia

Big-azz pieces, is that called the engine cowling? Watch the video of the engine someone took from onboard the aircraft and the video someone took from the ground of the debris falling.

I think I'd need a change of underwear if I was on that plane!
    Last edited by ABNAK; 02-20-21 at 17:38.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, that uncontained engine failure would suck. Thank goodness no one in the air on on the ground got hurt.

What’s crazy was the hot section kept going. You could see it still igniting/burning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veeref View Post
    Yeah, that uncontained engine failure would suck. Thank goodness no one in the air on on the ground got hurt.

What’s crazy was the hot section kept going. You could see it still igniting/burning.
    I'm not an aviation expert, so was the glowing orange area on the engine supposed to be like that? Obviously the outer covering was gone, but is that where a jet engine should be firing?

Good it didn't totally fall off the plane and take a chunk of wing with it, thereby rendering it unflyable.

Also, can't they shut off fuel supply to that engine to help prevent further ignition?
    Last edited by ABNAK; 02-20-21 at 18:10.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I'm not an aviation expert, so was the glowing orange area on the engine supposed to be like that? Obviously the outer covering was gone, but is that where a jet engine should be firing?

Good it didn't totally fall off the plane and take a chunk of wing with it, thereby rendering it unflyable.

Also, can't they shut off fuel supply to that engine to help prevent further ignition?
    Fuel was no doubt cut. That’s metal on fire.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Holy shiite Batman.....jet engine falls apart over Denver

Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post

https://www.britannica.com/technolog...ypass-turbofan

Yes, that glowing is part of the core in the diagram above. No doubt the pilots got some feedback that they had a failure, but they may or may not have gotten a fire warning. Shutting off the fuel is part of the procedure and I’m positive it was done, but it may be a few seconds before it actually happens depending on their checklist.

What I’m really curious to know is if that plane had sat in long term storage for awhile during the last year when United started parking planes. My experience is these things don’t like sitting dormant for long periods of time, seals dry up, etc.
    Last edited by veeref; 02-20-21 at 18:41.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Exclamation

CAPTAIN: “Attention passengers – when we reach the ground, we’ll need everyone to evacuate quickly.”

ME: “TOO late – I’ve already run the checklist for THAT procedure!!!” 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Crazy stuff, and a minor miracle nobody was killed!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My Brother and I flew from Tucson to Chicago to visit my Dad.
    We were flying American and an American Flight was due to take off just as we were landing, that Jet lost an engine, flipped over in the air and crashed in to a glass factory just past the end of the runway, in full view of everyone in the Airport.
    The intercom traffic explaining what had happened only made it worse.
    We aborted that landing flew to Indianapolis, then Detroit and got in to Chicago an a hour and a half later.
    Dad was damned happy to see us get off that flight.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Those pilots have some serious balls. Coming in on a single engine at high elevation and undoubtedly overweight from the extra fuel needed to reach Hawaii?
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Balls, yes. But a crew of B777 are senior crews with a ton of experience, flight time, and training. While every emergency is different, they knew what to do.

The plane was in the air for approximately 25 minutes after departing DEN and executing a 180 back to DEN. No doubt the aircraft was at or near max landing weight. DEN has a 16,000 ft runway but looking at FlightAware it appears they landed on the nearest runway (RWY07) instead of vectoring around to the long runway. Either way, it probably felt like they were flying a mountain to land.

Very fortunate this did not happen mid flight over the pacific...

Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    Those pilots have some serious balls. Coming in on a single engine at high elevation and undoubtedly overweight from the extra fuel needed to reach Hawaii?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast