Thread: IT people, school me on metadata

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

IT people, school me on metadata

Can the metadata from a smartphone video tell you when that video was taken?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    yes but it depends if it was saved/edited with it or not ? you can edit and or strip meta data out

its a who knows situation without original untouched

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    yes but it depends if it was saved/edited with it or not ? you can edit and or strip meta data out

its a who knows situation without original untouched
    I tried one of those sites that shows you the metadata, but it just had a bunch of zeros for the time. Does that mean someone intentionally removed it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When & where it was taken, if it was recorded on any smart device. Any editing will not erase the metadata, it is always there, just not visible without some tech savvy, according to people who told me about metadata. I know nothing else about it, sorry.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It really depends on the software the phone was running at the time, and if you got the original directly from the phone, or if it was sent to you, or posted.

Many sites and email programs will strip metadata out of the file, not necessarily on purpose, but they are made to handle text.

Sent from 80ms in the future

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you are using an iphone / ios under privacy > location services > camera > select Never. The lon / lat coordinates will not be applied to the photos and videos in the meta data. There is software that will manage meta data.

Feedback Score
    Film that stuff at a hotel, not your house...
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    It really depends on the software the phone was running at the time, and if you got the original directly from the phone, or if it was sent to you, or posted.

Many sites and email programs will strip metadata out of the file, not necessarily on purpose, but they are made to handle text.

iPhone video that was sent to me on Messenger.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    iPhone video that was sent to me on Messenger.
    Then the iPhone settings might have been set to privatize the metadata. In Settings>Location Services, I have Allow Location Access set to Never.

Just recorded a video and used Messenger to send it to myself. No location metadata as far as I can see using several different pieces of software.