Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10.5” barrel w/ rifle buffer

Feedback Score

10.5” barrel w/ rifle buffer

I have no problem finding information and experience with all sorts of SBR barre lengths and various buffer and spring systems in a carbine but will I run into problems running a 10.5” barrel with a fixed rifle stock and buffer? It will probably always be suppressed as well.

Feedback Score
    They run great with the A5 which is an intermediate RE and buffer with a rifle length spring.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Most likely the buffer will be fine.

Without something to address the gas, it may be gassed pretty strongly with the suppressor too.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The rifle buffer will run just fine.

If you don’t have the barrel yet I recommend a properly ported 14.5” or 16” carbine barrel cut to 10.5”. Don’t let them touch the gas port, it will run so much better suppressed only.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'll echo the above. Rifle buffer system will run.. probably better than any carbine configuration. Choking down the gas for the can isn't a bad suggestion either.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Gas port is what is is, deal was too good to pass. If I need to dial down I’ll look for an adjustable block. Can is a sandman-s which hasn’t made gas unbearable on any rifles I’ve tried it on so far at least.

Feedback Score
    There's ways to restrict the gas flow at the port without using an adjustable gas block.

I'm to lazy to source it and link to it, but there's a "kit" that comes with a drill bit and tap set to drill and tap the gas port to then install a set screw that has a smaller port hole in the center.

Best I recall it comes with either several different port hole size set screws or a specific one if you know what you want.
    Last edited by OldArmy01; 02-22-21 at 22:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I imagine it would run great suppressed, assuming the gas port is big enough and the suppressor has sufficient backpressure. Some ports are undersized, and some suppressors produce less backpressure than others, so it's impossible to say without trying it.

You might try the A5 though, because that's going to allow you to adjust buffer weight. The A5 stock also has more adjustment range. It can actually go longer than the A2, and fully collapsed it's almost as short as an M4 stock.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    A 10.5 that cycles with any carbine setup is likely to work with a rifle setup. As for buffer weight adjustability, there’s a greater range of possibilities with a rifle buffer than anything I can think of off the top of my head. You’ll almost certainly want to choke the gas back for fulltime suppressed use, and I’d use one of Clints products for that over an adjustable block. I’ve found that everyone’s favorite adjustable gas block is not particularly precise, although it does work.

Have you already selected a barrel? I’ve never used one, but AndroCorp sells a 10.3” that they claim may not run without a can. I’d start with a barrel with a “Crane spec” port or smaller if at all possible. This is .070”, I think.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    A 10.5 that cycles with any carbine setup is likely to work with a rifle setup. As for buffer weight adjustability, there’s a greater range of possibilities with a rifle buffer than anything I can think of off the top of my head. You’ll almost certainly want to choke the gas back for fulltime suppressed use, and I’d use one of Clints products for that over an adjustable block. I’ve found that everyone’s favorite adjustable gas block is not particularly precise, although it does work.

Have you already selected a barrel? I’ve never used one, but AndroCorp sells a 10.3” that they claim may not run without a can. I’d start with a barrel with a “Crane spec” port or smaller if at all possible. This is .070”, I think.
    What are clints products

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast