Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Ammunition Prices

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    You also have to factor in any Mil/LE orders that take priority and IF anything new comes in from those .gov groups due to a new war or whatever, they will jump the line.
    SlowJoe's TRYING to start one in Syria! Or his handlers are.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    For what it's worth, I've been watching the price of the Smith Sport II AR on Grabagun. I admit that it's too small a sample to be significant, but they were at $949 a while, and apparently selling. they bumped it up to $999, but only briefly, because the brought it back down. Now it's $899 which it hasn't been in a while. So we may be passing a peak of some sort. Maybe.
    Uni, I no longer see gun prices being held up like during the covid/riot period. They have stabilized in these parts. It's the ammo that continues to suck arse.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    The not so simple economic fact missing in this discussion is inflation. The fed has printed more money past couple years than most can comprehend. A dollar in 2021 won’t buy anywhere close to what it would in 2018. Just look at the price of things like lumber and food and stocks. My 401k went up 49% last year when businesses were getting shut down and unemployment was double digits and travel was almost at a standstill. Why? Because of an economic boom? No. Because it takes more dollars to buy the same amount of stuff.

The panic is purely political. If biden doesn’t do anything stupid the panic will go away. However ammo won’t go back to what you think it should because of inflation. It will take an enormous glut of supply and lack of demand to drive prices down to those 2018 levels. Once the supply is back to normal, expect pricing to reflect inflation. My guess is a case of prvi m193 that was $300 will be at least $400 in the “normal” future.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    The not so simple economic fact missing in this discussion is inflation. The fed has printed more money past couple years than most can comprehend. A dollar in 2021 won’t buy anywhere close to what it would in 2018. Just look at the price of things like lumber and food and stocks. My 401k went up 49% last year when businesses were getting shut down and unemployment was double digits and travel was almost at a standstill. Why? Because of an economic boom? No. Because it takes more dollars to buy the same amount of stuff.

The panic is purely political. If biden doesn’t do anything stupid the panic will go away. However ammo won’t go back to what you think it should because of inflation. It will take an enormous glut of supply and lack of demand to drive prices down to those 2018 levels. Once the supply is back to normal, expect pricing to reflect inflation. My guess is a case of prvi m193 that was $300 will be at least $400 in the “normal” future.
    Yes, the printing of enormous amounts of green colored cloth is going to have lasting consequences for just about everything, including ammo. I am somewhat hopefully that reloading supplies will come back a little better but I won’t hold my breath.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    The not so simple economic fact missing in this discussion is inflation...

My guess is a case of prvi m193 that was $300 will be at least $400 in the “normal” future.
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    Yes, the printing of enormous amounts of green colored cloth is going to have lasting consequences for just about everything, including ammo.

Yes, I'm worried about inflation, too (and not just ammo prices).

The Economist reports that the Fed printed (or issued electronically) 25% more money last year than ever existed before.

On the flip side, inflation is driven by the pace that money changes hands, not the amount of money out there. (If people sit on their money, then inflation doesn't happen.)

So, especially in the case of ammo prices, the answer is to NOT buy overpriced ammo...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Yes, I'm worried about inflation, too (and not just ammo prices).

So, especially in the case of ammo prices, the answer is to NOT buy overpriced ammo...
    I agree. If shooters could restrain themselves for 4-6 months or so the ammo factories would be able to catch up and the gougers would go away (somewhat). But as long as there are shooters who must have 100,000 rounds in their basement we will continue to have shortages and high prices.
    U.S.A.F. Aircrew (ret.)
    NRA Life Member
    NHRA
    RSO

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marchboom View Post
    I agree. If shooters could restrain themselves for 4-6 months or so the ammo factories would be able to catch up and the gougers would go away (somewhat). But as long as there are shooters who must have 100,000 rounds in their basement we will continue to have shortages and high prices.
    The problem isn't shooters with 100,000 rounds in the basement (I'm about halfway there). We're the ones who tide over the ammo companies and vendors during their lean times, when we "buy it cheap and stack it deep."

The problem is the guy who must go buy 1,000 rounds RIGHT NOW, no matter the price.

Fools and their money...

Feedback Score
    The problem isn't shooters with 100,000 rounds in the basement (I'm about halfway there). We're the ones who tide over the ammo companies and vendors during their lean times, when we "buy it cheap and stack it deep."

The problem is the guy who must go buy 1,000 rounds RIGHT NOW, no matter the price.

Fools and their money...
    I guess I should have said, "But as long as there are shooters, who didn't have a good stash of ammo prior to this ammo crisis, now must have 100,000 rounds in their basement we will continue to have shortages and high prices."

Smart folks know that these shortages will come someday so they stock up on ammo when it's plentiful and reasonably priced. I have enough to serve my purposes so I'm not buying more at current prices.

Remember, when Noah built his ark, it wasn't raining.
    U.S.A.F. Aircrew (ret.)
    NRA Life Member
    NHRA
    RSO

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marchboom View Post
    I guess I should have said, "But as long as there are shooters, who didn't have a good stash of ammo prior to this ammo crisis, now must have 100,000 rounds in their basement we will continue to have shortages and high prices."

Smart folks know that these shortages will come someday so they stock up on ammo when it's plentiful and reasonably priced. I have enough to serve my purposes so I'm not buying more at current prices.

Remember, when Noah built his ark, it wasn't raining.
    All clear... I agree with you entirely.

You're right that we stockpilers not only have tided over the industry during its lean times (preventing it from reducing capacity), but that we're also NOT buying ammo right now.

Side note: I'm sick and tired of the unprepared grasshoppers on other forums cursing us well-prepared ants as "hoarders" because we're sitting on plentiful stockpiles and still shooting, while they're paying $35 for a box of 9mm, if they can find it...

Feedback Score
    All clear... I agree with you entirely.

You're right that we stockpilers not only have tided over the industry during its lean times (preventing it from reducing capacity), but that we're also NOT buying ammo right now.

Side note: I'm sick and tired of the unprepared grasshoppers on other forums cursing us well-prepared ants as "hoarders" because we're sitting on plentiful stockpiles and still shooting, while they're paying $35 for a box of 9mm, if they can find it...
    20 yrs ago I never had the amount of ammo, powder, primers and bullets that I do now. Never a need for it. But now with so much uncertainty in our country caused by anti-gun democrat politicians, we just don't have any choice. Now I consider ammo, powder, primers and bullets an investment that will never go down in value. Kinda like toilet paper.

And those grasshoppers who cursed us are now the ones who are responsible for the ammo shortage and high prices.
    U.S.A.F. Aircrew (ret.)
    NRA Life Member
    NHRA
    RSO

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast