Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ammunition Prices

Feedback Score
    Here's my prediction. Ammo prices will start to go down within the year and will be within 20% of the previous market low within three years. Meanwhile, I'm shooting ammo that I literally purchased 15 years ago, not slowing down and not thinking twice about it. There's no way I'm going to allow these leftists to ruin my fun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Which assumes many things that no one can know. There is talk of a ban on mail order sales of ammo- like there was from 1968-1986..... There is NO WAY IN HELL that ammo prices will go as low as they were in the past if that happens. You have less competition in the market place all the time too- consolidation of manufacturers and retailers- Walmart closing gun counters etc...Like them or not, they were a "market maker" in many areas for blasting and generic hunting ammo, Remington getting bought....There could be an import ban like 7N6 etc...Now what?

I'll just say I'm glad that I have what I do and I'm not terribly optimistic things will change for the better in the near term-1-5 years.
    Walmart? A market maker? Haven't seen a firearm I'm walmart since 1998 in a metro area of 6 million people

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Walmart? A market maker? Haven't seen a firearm I'm walmart since 1998 in a metro area of 6 million people

I live in a town of 200k. We have four Walmarts. All, until recently, were well stocked with firearms and ammunition. If someone was coming to a CHL class, going hunting, plinking or even in some cases, to an Instructor Event- Walmart was often the choice for ammo locally. People would buy piles of the Remington Yellow and Winchester White Box 9mm....Nobody had better prices on generic bird shot for Shotgun classes or the opening day of dove season....If you needed " a box" of .30-30- that's not a mail order purchase and the average .30-30 shooter- isn't looking for anything Exotic, plain ole Remington 170 Core Lokts have killed more critters than any other factory load!

The standard advice of anyone coming to an Appleseed shoot for many years was to "drop by Walmart and buy 2 bulk packs of Federal Automatch or the 510 load"....etc....So, for serious and hardcore shooters, maybe Walmart was not the first choice, but for the vast majority of average folks and even those taking basic courses etc...Walmart was the ammo destination.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I live in a town of 200k. We have four Walmarts. All, until recently, were well stocked with firearms and ammunition. If someone was coming to a CHL class, going hunting, plinking or even in some cases, to an Instructor Event- Walmart was often the choice for ammo locally. People would buy piles of the Remington Yellow and Winchester White Box 9mm....Nobody had better prices on generic bird shot for Shotgun classes or the opening day of dove season....If you needed " a box" of .30-30- that's not a mail order purchase and the average .30-30 shooter- isn't looking for anything Exotic, plain ole Remington 170 Core Lokts have killed more critters than any other factory load!

The standard advice of anyone coming to an Appleseed shoot for many years was to "drop by Walmart and buy 2 bulk packs of Federal Automatch or the 510 load"....etc....So, for serious and hardcore shooters, maybe Walmart was not the first choice, but for the vast majority of average folks and even those taking basic courses etc...Walmart was the ammo destination.
    Literally any gun store.
    Two Wally worlds by my house. Zero guns. One has some cheap gun accessories. Some ammo but why? No different than that 5 or so gun stores. The same Remington 3030 for about the same price at any actual gun store. I have to drive an hour and half to find a Walmart that sells firearms but even then it's pointless. When they did sell firearms, back in 98, it was nothing but 870s, 10/22 and lever action. . Meanwhile an actual gun store not only has ammo but also variety of firearms.....like handguns, not to mention semi auto center fire

Feedback Score
    If Walmart stops selling ammo it has virtually no impact on the demand nor on the supply because they're not the consumer or manufacturer. Would anyone really shoot less because they can't buy ammo at Walmart?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It's simple, the demand is extremely high and production is flat and not expanding anymore. The factories say they are running at full capacity, but nobody is building new factories. There are something like 7 million more new shooters and climbing and everyone is in a hoarding mood. Maybe the upper limit has been reached though. Some outfit named the 2A Warehouse sent me an email that they have .223 and 9mm. the .223 was $830 + $69 in sales tax . That was Igman. They had Federal or Winchester .223 for $1150/K + tax. It hasn't sold out. The 9 was like $700/K. Maybe some desperate soul will go for it, not me, I'll just stop shooting and go do something else. I hope they choke on it. How long will it all continue this way, Don't know, but if I had to guess...maybe 2 years.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Literally any gun store.
    Two Wally worlds by my house. Zero guns. One has some cheap gun accessories. Some ammo but why? No different than that 5 or so gun stores. The same Remington 3030 for about the same price at any actual gun store. I have to drive an hour and half to find a Walmart that sells firearms but even then it's pointless. When they did sell firearms, back in 98, it was nothing but 870s, 10/22 and lever action. . Meanwhile an actual gun store not only has ammo but also variety of firearms.....like handguns, not to mention semi auto center fire

Your gun stores must be much different from those locally because local gun stores were charging nearly TWICE what Walmart was for standard White Box 9mm. Literally, twice as much, for the exact same ammo. Shoot half as much or pay twice as much, your choice.....And if mail order sales of ammo are banned, I can promise you, that will be THE NORM.

ETA: You actually LIVE in/Around Philadelphia? That explains a lot about your post....
    Last edited by Esq.; 02-23-21 at 11:48.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    If Walmart stops selling ammo it has virtually no impact on the demand nor on the supply because they're not the consumer or manufacturer. Would anyone really shoot less because they can't buy ammo at Walmart?
    So the cost of ammo has no bearing on how much people shoot? Walmart treated ammo like every other commodity they sold. They bought TRAIN CAR LOADS OF IT and sold it cheap. You think "Jim Bobs Gun and Bait Shop" got the same prices on ammo or sold it as cheap as Walmart? They have the same costs of scale? Not hardly....
    Last edited by Esq.; 02-23-21 at 11:42.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Your gun stores must be much different from those locally because local gun stores were charging nearly TWICE what Walmart was for standard White Box 9mm. Literally, twice as much, for the exact same ammo. Shoot half as much or pay twice as much, your choice.....And if mail order sales of ammo are banned, I can promise you, that will be THE NORM.
    Wasn't necessary WWB but prices were comparable.

Back then I was buying online due to tax $$$$ otherwise I would have just bought locally. The same ammo SGammo and Target Sports USA was selling for $199 locally was $210 - $220ish. So if I needed ammo right now I'd stop by the gun store and also check out a bazillion other guns. Or I could do the same at walmart but instead of checking out other guns I'd have to see the missing links

I guess we don't have Jim Bob's Gun and Bait. Gun stores here have rather large selections and turnovers (putting aside current events)
    Last edited by Arik; 02-23-21 at 11:58.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Prices are not going down a for a couple of years. Time to dust off the reloader.

If Biden gets the media talking about a AWB for more than 24 hours we are headed for another 2013 drought. As a reminder 2013 was ammo then lowers, then bolts & BCGs, then lower parts kits. All gone for at least a year.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast