Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ammunition Prices

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    By the way, there are no straight facts, there's always a bias and interpretation. Calling other shooters stupid isn't a fact, it's an opinion. Unless of course you happen to be working from an absolutely objective and truthful source.
    Sure, I drink the post-modern Kool-Aide, too...

On the other hand, everybody's entitled to his opinion, and there are some things that most of us would agree are stupid, just like most of us would agree that Giselle Bündchen is more appealing than Rosie O'Donnell: Just an opinion!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Sure, I drink the post-modern Kool-Aide, too...

On the other hand, everybody's entitled to his opinion, and there are some things that most of us would agree are stupid, just like most of us would agree that Giselle Bündchen is more appealing than Rosie O'Donnell: Just an opinion!
    Post-modern wouldn't be my schtick.

Feedback Score
    By the way, there are no straight facts, there's always a bias and interpretation.
    Post-modern wouldn't be my schtick.

Looks like it IS your schtick... Of course, that's just my analysis, not an objective fact (which don't exist).

See, now we're having fun...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Looks like it IS your schtick... Of course, that's just my analysis, not an objective fact (which don't exist).

See, now we're having fun...
    Oh, there are objective facts, you just have to have access unimpeachable source of objectivity. I think I do, I'm betting my life on it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Dude, Euro is 100% correct. We are, and always have been & forever will be, our own worst enemy.
    SO MANY had the chance for over 3 years pre-covid, to stock up on prices at 20 year or more lows. THEY DIDNT.
    They forget how it was during AWB of '94. During Sandy Hook. During all the times demonrats tried everything to erase the 2A. They thouht guns & ammo "would always be there". WRONG.
    I couldnt get my guys to stock up for shit. Ive long ago told people to stop asking me where to get this or that. I tell them they had their chance.
    Im not as optimistic as Euro- I think its a distinct possibility we will NEVER go back to "who has the cheapest Colt barrel". Youll just be lucky to find a barrel, then youll have to go thru an FFL & background check & pay some high ass tax to get THAT.
    When the import bans come, and the taxes come, and mail order & online sources are banned, and SCOTUS does what SCOTUS almost always does, and wont take up any 2A related cases, shooting will be all but done here in America.
    Gun owners...not real, true SHOOTERS...ARE dumb & cheap. And they are the ones hurting right now, NOT the shooters.
    All true based on what I have seen over the last 30 plus years.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I was in a LGS the other day foolishly looking for a used 92FS. The have empty Hornady Frontier barrels double-stacked to make a wall to control customer flow at the register. At least 24 empty at 13,889 rounds apiece is 1/3 of a million rounds that they have sold re-packaged in smaller quantities since the panic started.

They have never not had ammo, but restrict purchases pretty tightly.

Hornady barrel o bullets: https://www.alloutdoor.com/2018/12/2...tridge-barrel/

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-24-21 at 07:55.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Friendship and flattery isn't the reason. Just like I converse with people face to face with no expectation of friendship, so it is here. I have other motives for being here. By the way, there are no straight facts, there's always a bias and interpretation. Calling other shooters stupid isn't a fact, it's an opinion. Unless of course you happen to be working from an absolutely objective and truthful source.
    First I would make a distinction between shooters and gun owners. There's a difference as Straight Shooter alludes to above.

My opinion is that "gun owners" are nothing more than a subset of the general population. I don't have much faith in them quite honestly. That, is my opinion based on several observed facts and considerable experience. Serious shooters are generally another sort of individual and I'll leave them out of the discussion....

The "experience" first--- My parents met at an ammo factory. I have been around shooting and hunting my entire life- my mother was shooting pistol competitively while I was in the womb. I've hunted and shot competitively all my life- smallbore, trap and skeet, IDPA, IPSC, 3 Gun, High Power, Silhouette, PRS, Run and Gun....I've trained under some of the finest instructors this country- and others, have ever produced. I've put animals in the record book as a hunter. I've hunted with dogs, from helicopters, on skis, by horse.... I've been on the gunshow circuit, worked in gunshops, worked with gunsmiths, ran a 400 member private shooting range for 25 years....I've been a Regional Friends of NRA Director and helped raise well over $1 million for the NRA. Life member of just about every Pro 2A organization you can name. I've helped write pro 2A Legislation and testified on both legislation and as an expert witness in firearms cases, I've defended police officers in use of force proceedings. I've lectured on various firearms related issues many times. I'm a board certified trial attorney by trade and "judging" people, is my business.

Most "gun owners" are certifiably ignorant (not really open to debate) and borderline stupid when it comes to firearms. They don't know much about their firearms- their history or specific design features, how to operate them, safe gun handling principles, ballistics, proficient use.... They don't belong to any organizations that supports their right to own guns or that promote firearms ownership and competency- they often don't think it's important because they are completely ignorant and cannot articulate the history of human oppression and how firearms (the right of self defense) are integral to the republican form of government. They don't seek out advanced training to better their skills nor do they regularly practice to attain a high level of proficiency. Owning guns is a small part of their lives and often very compartmentalized.

That doesn't make them evil people, ignorant and borderline stupid in many cases, yes.
    Last edited by Esq.; 02-24-21 at 08:03.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    First I would make a distinction between shooters and gun owners. There's a difference as Straight Shooter alludes to above.

My opinion is that "gun owners" are nothing more than a subset of the general population. I don't have much faith in them quite honestly. That, is my opinion based on several observed facts and considerable experience. Serious shooters are generally another sort of individual and I'll leave them out of the discussion....

The "experience" first--- My parents met at an ammo factory. I have been around shooting and hunting my entire life- my mother was shooting pistol competitively while I was in the womb. I've hunted and shot competitively all my life- smallbore, trap and skeet, IDPA, IPSC, 3 Gun, High Power, Silhouette, PRS, Run and Gun....I've trained under some of the finest instructors this country- and others, have ever produced. I've put animals in the record book as a hunter. I've hunted with dogs, from helicopters, on skis, by horse.... I've been on the gunshow circuit, worked in gunshops, worked with gunsmiths, ran a 400 member private shooting range for 25 years....I've been a Regional Friends of NRA Director and helped raise well over $1 million for the NRA. Life member of just about every Pro 2A organization you can name. I've helped write pro 2A Legislation and testified on both legislation and as an expert witness in firearms cases, I've defended police officers in use of force proceedings. I've lectured on various firearms related issues many times. I'm a board certified trial attorney by trade and "judging" people, is my business.

Most "gun owners" are certifiably ignorant (not really open to debate) and borderline stupid when it comes to firearms. They don't know much about their firearms- their history or specific design features, how to operate them, safe gun handling principles, ballistics, proficient use.... They don't belong to any organizations that supports their right to own guns or that promote firearms ownership and competency- they often don't think it's important because they are completely ignorant and cannot articulate the history of human oppression and how firearms (the right of self defense) are integral to the republican form of government. They don't seek out advanced training to better their skills nor do they regularly practice to attain a high level of proficiency. Owning guns is a small part of their lives and often very compartmentalized.

That doesn't make them evil people, ignorant and borderline stupid in many cases, yes.
    Bingo.

I don’t know why what I said is so controversial. If it wasn’t, the “Dumbest things you’ve ever heard in a gun store” thread wouldn’t exist. Likewise, there isn’t a “Dumbest thing you’ve seen at a LAV class” thread. It wouldn’t be very entertaining.

I didn’t say everyone at a LAV class, or this forum, or even in the NRA was a moron, nor would I. That’s the top 25% of educated of “gun owners”. Hell, even people who simply go to the range regularly are not typical “gun owners”.

Typical gun owners are “I have a gun for protection, but I don’t think assault rifles should be legal”. Or guys like the below:

Those folks outnumber M4C by millions. And - fun fact - there were at least two NDs with one injury by the NFAC in 2H20 alone.

But they’re not stupid, right? The guys rushing to pay $800 for a case of 9mm are pretty smart too. I guess I was wrong.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I always remember these demand spikes starting with a thread on here something like
    "Have you started preparing for X yet?"
    "What guns do you think will be in short supply when X happens?"
    "Have you stocked up for X yet"
    "Do you see a shortage coming"
    "so and so is coming for your X, have you prepared?"

I would bet when these threads are seen, most on here check the ammo bots for prices and buy some->tonnage of ammo, parts or firearms. It a precursor to members here and the gun community fearing something happening that would affect supply and react accordingly.

The problem is we buy irrationally buying we are draining supply jacking up prices and further buying to keep the cycle moving. The cause and effect is us, not any boogyman, manufacturer, supplier, gun store, or politician. Every time blame is placed on someone or something else (boogyman, manufacturer, supplier, gun store, or politician), but non of these people are buying up all the guns, ammo and gun parts...it's still us. In the end somehow we all forget or stop buying and demand slows to bring prices back to normal.

I bought a metric boatload years and years ago of everything I thought would run out of and have an entire room of more mags, parts, ammo and other stuff I would ever need and still panic buy like the best of them. At one point I had hundreds and hundreds of mags NIW for my 4 glocks and 3 AR's, but have never opened a new one in almost 10 years. I guess I'll never learn either.
    Last edited by ndmiller; 02-24-21 at 08:42.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Wanna bet?

Do you know how much 5.56 cost in 2013?
    Do you know how much it cost in 2019?

It actually cost less in 2019 than it did in 2011.

It might take another 2 years but it will drop off.
    I hope you're absolutely correct on this, but I have severe doubts.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast