Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capitol Police in ProPublica

Feedback Score

Capitol Police in ProPublica

This article includes some salty language, so be warned. One of the major themes is internal intelligence-sharing failures, which was the major theme in the Congressional hearings today too...

On the morning of Jan. 4, members of a civil disturbance unit gathered in a briefing room. A small group of officers were shown a document from Capitol intelligence officials that projected as many as 20,000 people arriving in Washington that week….

The officers weren’t allowed to physically share the document with anyone else, but they relayed its substance to the rest of their squad in a separate meeting. Together, the unit members discussed possible scenarios and pored over a map of the Capitol and its surroundings to identify vulnerable areas that could erupt in conflict.

But the intelligence the unit relied on to make that judgment was not widely shared within the department. Several officers assigned to other commands told ProPublica they received no warning whatsoever going into Jan. 6. “We went to work like it was a normal ****ing day,” one said.

“It was business as usual,” said another, who has been on the force for more than 15 years. “The main thing we were told was to be on the lookout for counterdemonstrators.”…
    Other intelligence reports reviewed by ProPublica reveal inconsistencies — a sign of internal confusion about how best to respond.

ProPublica also obtained four daily reports from the department’s intelligence division that were shared widely among commanders of the force, spanning the dates Jan. 4 through Jan. 7. The documents make no mention of expected extremist groups or the possibility that demonstrators would be armed. Instead, they note simply that “folks could organize a demonstration on USCP grounds
    .”

https://www.propublica.org/article/i...ection#1050746

The cover photo… These guys look like they are making the most of the riot, especially the second from the right.

23DAFBFF-3F75-456C-BB92-7A5E4628D90F.jpeg

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The failures here are so numerous and pathetic it's just a joke. Keep in mind that Capitol Police are directly controlled by Congress, not the Executive. Good job Pelosi, doing just as well with policing as you are on everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    The cover photo… These guys look like they are making the most of the riot, especially the second from the right.
    Is that a container of paintballs?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    An intelligence failure by not sharing intel in a federal LE organization? Color me shocked....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Is that a container of paintballs?
    Yup...Pepper paintballs

Feedback Score
    The Pepperball officer had me chuckling a bit. Cannot blame him, as this was the craziest day he will hopefully have in his USCP career. Might as well enjoy it.

As for the Pepperballs and associated systems like the FN 303, the Portland craziness videos had some epic deliveries, usually to the face, from multiple shooters. It was amazing the amount of pepper the bad guys took and kept going.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Still repeating the lie that an officer died of injuries from being struck by a fire extinguisher. Why would I even think anything else in the article is factual.

I missed the part where the rioters barricades the doors to trap everyone inside and attempted to torch the building. Oh, yeah that was the "peaceful protesters: in the PNW this online farce did not have a single critical word for.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-24-21 at 20:17.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Still repeating the lie that an officer died of injuries from being struck by a fire extinguisher. Why would I even think anything else in the article is factual.

I missed the part where the rioters barricades the doors to trap everyone inside and attempted to torch the building. Oh, yeah that was the "peaceful protesters: in the PNW this online farce did not have a single critical word for.

Andy
    Good catch!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post

Andy
    ProPublica is left-wing media source and your #1 concern with the article is shitting on a guy who died doing his sworn duty. Classy.

“Shit man, that corpse there was actually shot with a 9mm.. Not a .40S&W like the first estimate.”
    “Wrong caliber. Let the creep go. No way we can make a case with a few hundredths of an inch off on the initial guesstimate that some asshole anonymously leaked to the press...”

To date, there isn’t even a case filed or indictment presented - https://www.politifact.com/article/2...icer-brian-si/. Maybe we can put our fake outrage on simmer until there is actually a suitable outrage to rage about...

As for the Portland equivalence stuff, you are right. Life and leftist media coverage aren’t fair.
    But then I hope you are ready to also roast the Republican legislator who popped a fire door in the Oregon State Capitol and prompted a riot there too. That one could have ended up with dead folk too.
    https://www.statesmanjournal.com/sto...ng/6583097002/

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    ProPublica is left-wing media source and your #1 concern with the article is shitting on a guy who died doing his sworn duty. Classy.

“Shit man, that corpse there was actually shot with a 9mm.. Not a .40S&W like the first estimate.”
    “Wrong caliber. Let the creep go. No way we can make a case with a few hundredths of an inch off on the initial guesstimate that some asshole anonymously leaked to the press...”

To date, there isn’t even a case filed or indictment presented - https://www.politifact.com/article/2...icer-brian-si/. Maybe we can put our fake outrage on simmer until there is actually a suitable outrage to rage about...

As for the Portland equivalence stuff, you are right. Life and leftist media coverage aren’t fair.
    But then I hope you are ready to also roast the Republican legislator who popped a fire door in the Oregon State Capitol and prompted a riot there too. That one could have ended up with dead folk too.
    https://www.statesmanjournal.com/sto...ng/6583097002/
    Nothing I said disrespected the officer who died. Using the death of the officer for political purposes and repeating an outright lie, on the other hand, is repugnant.

It is unfortunate you don't understand the difference.

Andy

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    The failures here are so numerous and pathetic it's just a joke. Keep in mind that Capitol Police are directly controlled by Congress, not the Executive. Good job Pelosi, doing just as well with policing as you are on everything else.
    The USCP is one of the most highly trained and well equipped departments in the DC area. That said they are so micro managed it is crazy. In addition to their LE Chain of Command every member of Congress and mostly their staffers can make a phone call and any LE decision made can quickly be reversed. I've been on the scene where the most minor incident soon had half a dozen supervisors on the scene. David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast