Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Witnessed an ND!

Feedback Score

Witnessed an ND!

Howdy,

Crazy situation! NOT ME but most experienced shooter I know did it!

We were showing off our pride and joy 1911s. I cleared mine and set it on the table. I watched him clear his and SAW with my own two eyes an empty chamber. I heard him manipulate some how while I was looking away and then BANG! Hole in the floor! At least he pointed it safely!

I was thinking maybe busted extractor and the light made the chamber look empty. I saw him give a sharp look and rotating in the light to see for sure though...I was 4 feet away and know it was 100% empty at that time!

He figured after he cleared it he dropped the mag back in, pulled the slide to check again, released slide chambering a round and then dropped the mag again.... Don't even ask me how or why!

THIS is why I ALWAYS check! If he had handed me the firearm right after I SAW him clear it I would have checked and cleared again. While he was "smart" enough to know to point in a safe direction it could have gone really bad!

I've tried to drill this into friends I instruct to shoot with and will double down. If you clear a firearm 100% and set it down for 1 second you go through the entire check again and do this every time the firearm goes in and out of your hands! I see so many people accept that the guy who had it in their hand cleared it.

We're not perfect and I made numerous non consequential mistakes on a daily basis. We can't treat firearms like a bowl of cereal. Complacency will kill you or someone else! I know I look stupid sometimes triple checking what I just checked but I've searched 5 minutes for glasses that are on top of my head!

I'm so glad I got to see this by an experienced shooter. I got to learn a lesson and it didn't even cost me the $1 .45 ACP is going for nowadays!

Be safe! And keep an eye on those "experts" out there!

I'm going to make it a habit of walking all the ammo out of the room from now on. Not just remove but walk the danged magazines OUT before any admiration is done. Just like when cleaning or dry fire. No ammo nearby!

W
    Last edited by Whalstib; 02-24-21 at 09:47.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would drive them a block away, leave them in the car and then return home on foot. Just to be sure!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Seen no less than 4 ND's at GUNSHOWS, (Lubbock, Tx, Tulsa, Cedar Park, Amarillo)--- 3 of those involved people getting shot unfortunately ....Cleaned up the litigation of one from a Gun Shop where 3 customers were wounded in another incident. Serious matters....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've had it happen. SAFE Direction saved me from anything worse than ringing ears.

I remember getting ready to dry fire while aiming at the light switch, and gave it one last check... DAMN! round in the chamber.

I double and triple check now.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I had a front row seat for a negligent discharge, fortunately the only victim was my buddy’s Curtis Mathes television. He pointed his new Beretta 9mm at the tv and said f**k you Don Rickles, KABOOM!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
    I had a front row seat for a negligent discharge, fortunately the only victim was my buddy’s Curtis Mathes television. He pointed his new Beretta 9mm at the tv and said f**k you Don Rickles, KABOOM!
    I think Don Rickles got the last laugh on that one!
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I was shooting at my local range a few years ago and one of the guys tried to put his pistol back in a shitty uncle mikes holster and shot himself in the leg. It was just me and the range office there. The range didnt have med kit on that range side. I was lucky enough to have a trauma kit in my range bag. Guy was bleeding pretty bad and the range office and I got him stabilized with a torniquete while calling 911. The whole time the guy was bitching at us how it needed a torniquete and then that it was on too tight. I just remember thinking you mf'er here I am trying to save your ass with my trauma kit, of which you had no med gear and proceed to bitch at me.

Feedback Score
    My brother and I were at a gun show a few years ago and he picked up a rifle to look at and it had a live round in the chamber. The guys manning the booth started checking everything rather quickly. We didn't know if it was on them or some left wing nut job slid a round in and was hoping to cause an issue. Luckily we always check when handling a firearm.

Glad y'all are safe!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was in a small gun shop when a repairman in the back room let a round out of a M4. Insanely loud where we were at. It must have been unreal to the unfortunate repairman. You wouldn't believe how loud 5.56 is when you let it off inside a building.

(That's why is use a PCC rather than an AR for home protection).

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I was in a small gun shop when a repairman in the back room let a round out of a M4. Insanely loud where we were at. It must have been unreal to the unfortunate repairman. You wouldn't believe how loud 5.56 is when you let it off inside a building.

(That's why is use a PCC rather than an AR for home protection).
    I've been around other NDs. Not THAT loud at the epicenter for whatever reason.

And loudness is a silly reason to pic a sub standard defense platform. Shit... we had video on the news the other day of two sh1t bags wearing soft armor who shot into a guy's house when he woke up to see what the noise was. Definitely want an M4 in that or any other defense shooting.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast