Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tempted by a hammer coach.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    The LGS had a CZ hammer coach setting out. I have no idea why I want one, but I do...

I hear you...

I have a CZ Hammer Classic (the 30" barrels, and screw-in chokes) on my wish list. I like the "coach" gun, too, but my "practical" side wants something I can actually "use" to shoot trap or go pheasant hunting.

(Nevermind that I have a couple Benelli M1/M2s that already do that just fine.)

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I know it ain't practical, tactical, or even really useful. Like you I have other shotguns, 2 500's, a 590 treated to Hans Vang's full treatment, a Saiga 12, and a Win 97. All of those would serve me better in a defensive situation, not that any shotty is even at the top of my list. A rabbit eared coach gun lost its claim as a valid defensive weapon somewhere before 1900. It really doesn't deserve a place in my stable.

But to quote Clint, "Deserve's got nothin to do with it"
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I know it ain't practical, tactical, or even really useful...
    I bought an N-Frame S&W last year... Same thing. I have lots of Glocks, but there was just something cool about the big revolver.

A nod to practicality: I bought a 610, which shoots 10mm in moon clips, so I can use the same ammo (.40S&W) that I use in my other handguns...

So yeah, if/when I buy a SxS, then it'll be a 12ga, because my Benellis are 12ga, and I don't want to start stockpiling 20ga or whatever, too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I bought an N-Frame S&W last year... Same thing. I have lots of Glocks, but there was just something cool about the big revolver.

A nod to practicality: I bought a 610, which shoots 10mm in moon clips, so I can use the same ammo (.40S&W) that I use in my other handguns...

So yeah, if/when I buy a SxS, then it'll be a 12ga, because my Benellis are 12ga, and I don't want to start stockpiling 20ga or whatever, too.
    I've a 4 inch 5 shot .44 Special revolver. Same thing.

If using shotshells against people is a possibility of course you want 12 ga.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    If using shotshells against people is a possibility of course you want 12 ga.
    Or against geese, which is one of my ambitions.

Anyway, it's not that 12ga is bigger and better, it's that the whole Benelli aftermarket is geared to the 12ga (nevermind that Benelli makes the M2 in 20ga, too).

At last count, I have 13 different cartridges that I stockpile and/or reload for, and there is not going to be a #14!

Feedback Score
    I can't think of a reason to go 20ga unless it's someone who can't handle 12ga. Competition purposes aside. 12ga is kinda the floor for me, and I don't personally have a need to go to magnum or 10ga.

On the CZ front, went in today and it was sold. I was looking at 22 bolt guns but saw they had a couple BCM complete lowers in. They are out of BCM lowers now, and my gun allowance is blown for at least a week. Then Form 1 the lowers...

Feedback Score
    On the CZ front, went in today and it was sold.... they had a couple BCM complete lowers in. They are out of BCM lowers now...
    I hear this, too...

I do the same kind of "triage" in buying guns. Before California banned ARs, I bought another lower and registered it.

I only jumped on the S&W because S&W only does a run of 610s every 5-10 years, and the prices and availability are awful when they're not in production.

Same thing with a Glock 24 slide earlier this year... Glock did a run, so it was now or not-for-a-long-time.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I go through these same phases. I'll put a RDS on every pistol I own, and then turn around and buy a coach or lever gun. It's like owning a piece of it puts me in touch with my ancestors.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm the same. I find the older I get the broader my shooting interests become. I've been shooting since 98 but only noticed lever guns in the last few years. I mean literally noticed. Before I didn't even see them. I never got to that side of the store. Or I would glaze over all the pile of wood and metal as one whole mess. Now I own 2 and have been interested in a SAA 38/357. Hell I've been kicking myself for only now becoming interested in Garands when they're $2000+

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Don't get me wrong, I'm cool with older and not-so-tactical/practical. I have my share, and I dig em.

The hammer coach is just an oddball though. A rabbit ear coach gun just screams late 1800's CQB. Like Bimmer said, the hammer classic is all about fine lines and appreciating the history while still being useful for hunting, clay, etc.

My desire to SBS and maybe even lupara a hammer coach makes me feel a little silly, but I still wanna.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast