Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a .22lr bolt gun. Opinions?

Feedback Score
    Well, the Tikka was gone this week. No idea when more might come.

I got the Bergara carbon wrap for $850. I went with a Vortex Viper 6-24x50, 25 moa mount, and low Leupold rings. So I blew my budget a little and I still need some assorted sundries. I imagine it's gonna suit me. Thankfully I have plenty of ammo, including a good selection of premium stuff.

Considering that .22 recoil is about all my torn up shoulder can take for the next few months my rimfires will be getting a workout. That and weak hand drills.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the lead.

Feedback Score
    Man this thing is fun. I gotta get better with it, but I'm having a ball. With subs and my pistol can on it the 100yd target hit is louder at the shooters ear than the rifle. It literally sounds like I dry fired the gun.

I never really thought about it, but my supers are hitting 4 mils higher than my subs at 100. I imagine that's to be expected but I hadn't realized it would be that dramatic. I've got it zeroed for subs and hold for supers. I'll see what I shoot most and zero to that later. I can hold roughly 1-1/2 inch 10 shot groups with Aguila subs. Yeah, I know. It's me not the rifle. I'll get better in time. I've only run Winchester bulk pack supers so far. They seem to shoot 3 inches or a little bigger no matter how hard I try.

I've got a little Eley match to try, and some Aguila match and supers as well. I'll also try some other subs and budget supers I have around. I've collected up so much .22 over the years that it's almost like shooting for free.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Man this thing is fun. I gotta get better with it, but I'm having a ball. With subs and my pistol can on it the 100yd target hit is louder at the shooters ear than the rifle. It literally sounds like I dry fired the gun.

I never really thought about it, but my supers are hitting 4 mils higher than my subs at 100. I imagine that's to be expected but I hadn't realized it would be that dramatic. I've got it zeroed for subs and hold for supers. I'll see what I shoot most and zero to that later. I can hold roughly 1-1/2 inch 10 shot groups with Aguila subs. Yeah, I know. It's me not the rifle. I'll get better in time. I've only run Winchester bulk pack supers so far. They seem to shoot 3 inches or a little bigger no matter how hard I try.

I've got a little Eley match to try, and some Aguila match and supers as well. I'll also try some other subs and budget supers I have around. I've collected up so much .22 over the years that it's almost like shooting for free.
    Just remember that it takes a while for the bore to like new ammo types. Give it at least 20 rounds before comparing groups, as the bullet lube getting laid in is an important part of the equation. I've shot dumb small groups at 50 with CCI standard after shooting Midas Plus that the same ammo simply doesn't provide after a few groups. Likewise, my rifle's favorite ammo (Eley Match) did not shoot well initially, but came in once the bore was seasoned.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I appreciate the advice. Thanks

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Just remember that it takes a while for the bore to like new ammo types. Give it at least 20 rounds before comparing groups, as the bullet lube getting laid in is an important part of the equation. I've shot dumb small groups at 50 with CCI standard after shooting Midas Plus that the same ammo simply doesn't provide after a few groups. Likewise, my rifle's favorite ammo (Eley Match) did not shoot well initially, but came in once the bore was seasoned.
    Very interesting. But damn seasoning with Eley Match is like shooting Black Hills Mk262$$$$
    Brutal but great insight.

PB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Lots of choices but if you have the eyes a CZ 452 Trainer is about as much fun as you can have with a 22.
    The sights are calibrated for standard velocity 40gr and they are dead on through the entire range to 250 yds.
    The 452 is the last traditional threaded barrel screwed into a receiver, not pinned, no plastic or aluminum,
    been discontinued at least 10 years.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Latest custom build here (Bergara B14R action):
    Yes I prefer shooting iron sights.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post

If you want to really get maximal accuracy out of the gun, don’t even waste time with high velocity ammo. It simply doesn’t have the consistency and quality control to shoot well.
    There is a reason you won’t find a serious long range precision rimfire competitor shooting high velocity ammo.
    You can sometimes get lucky with the lower grades of standard velocity like eley contact or target, or SK standard plus, and use that for practice and move to eley match or ten ex or lapua for matches or more serious shooting.
    Fully agree on the seasoning the barrel before shooting groups when switching ammo.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast