Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a .22lr bolt gun. Opinions?

Feedback Score

Thinking about a .22lr bolt gun. Opinions?

I'm really wanting to pick up a decent bolt action .22lr. I had my choices narrowed down to a Ruger target (or LR target) or the Tikka T1x. I hear the Rugers are fairly accurate and I already have a healthy supply of 10/22 mags. By all accounts the Tikka is as accurate as you can get for the price point and can take any T3 chassis.

Long story short I figured I would buy whichever I came across first. I found a Tikka today, unfortunately right next to it were a couple of Christiansen .22s. They have a "kinda" chassis for a stock, carbon fiber wrappped barrel, and judging by the weight I am fair to certain that they are made out of helium. I am seeing good reviews and a mixed bag of posts on other forums on the C.A. Seems like a no go but...?

Anyone with first hand experience? My primary goal is a nice "target plinker"/ .22 budget precision rifle(small p). Budget $1K to $1,500 max. That would be all in: rifle, glass/mount, and a chassis if needed. I'm leaning into the T1x but it doesn't hurt to ask.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think you're on the right track to buy whichever is in-stock as that's all you'll be able to buy anyway. To expand your options I'd also include the CZ's (455/457) as well although the model range is extensive so some variants may not fit your needs.

I bought a CZ 457 Varmint AT-ONE (Adj laminated stock) when they came out a year or so ago to upgrade the small savage .22 bolt I taught my daughter on and the 10/22 with tech sights she currently uses. I like it but haven't really been able to spend enough time behind it with the colder weather to really wring it out.

Feedback Score
    I've been wandering along that road as well. I've had a CZ 452 iron sighted model I liked enough I bought it twice. Traded it to a friend 15 years ago and bought it back. I was looking at the higher end 457s, but the Tikka T1x gets the better rap on rimfirecentral. I've also been eyeing the Bergara B14R.

I briefly looked at Ruger precision rimfire as a cost savings, but I think I'd end up with buyers remorse, realizing I should have bought one of the others.

Then there are other quality 22 bolt guns. Cooper, Kimber, Anschutz.

I think I'm not going to worry too much about "in stock". Decide what I want and order it. 22's in this price range aren't for everyone and I doubt if the wait would be excessive.

Also, I've noticed that the cheap 22 ammo is now hard to get and then priced like Eley. Killough shooting is only 3 hours away from me (Winters, TX www.killoughshootingsports.com), they'll test your rifle against various lots of Eley, and the let you buy quantity of that lot. Ive dealt with them before, seem classy people. They just sent me an email that they have stock. The 10x appears to be the same price as before the shortage.

Ive been laid up for 2 months and have had way too much time to browse the internet and spend money.

Feedback Score
    I forgot to mention, the CZ, Tikka, Bergara models I've bee looking at run about $900 to $1100. Leaves $400 to $600 for glass.

Feedback Score
    LGS has T1x for $500, B-14 and C.A. are just under $800.

Good .22 is usually the last stuff bought up and the last to show back up. Fortunately I have plenty.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I stopped counting my 22 @ 7000 rounds. about a 1/3 good stuff. I realize the Tikka is only the MTR model, but I should have said I was planning on adding a chassis. Maybe a KRG Bravo, or PDC GL5E. The other makes I liked the factory stocks.

If you like the factory MTR stock, its a no brainer.

Feedback Score
    The B-14 for $800? That's the B-14R with the steel barrel, not the carbon fibre one right? That's a really good deal. The carbon barrel runs about another 100. That what be a sweet price for the carbon. If it was local I'd probably say SOLD.

I'd be curious to hear which way you go. If you don't buy the B14R, I might have to ask if they would ship to Texas.

Feedback Score
    there is a thread on snipers hide about some of the newer B14Rs needing adjustments to the bolt due do excessive force to close them. Not a deal breaker to me, but something to be aware of.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have a CZ457 at one that I have been shooting suppressed with SV CCI. I picked up a Ranger 22 a few weeks ago. I plan to do a side by side comparison on them tomorrow. The only complaint I have on the Ranger at this point is it feels like you are holding the gunnel of a fiberglass boat. No soul to it.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Big CZ 452/455 fan here, had them for years.

Very quiet suppressed, very accurate and reasonable for the money (used to be $400-500, not sure now). Unlike some of the cheaper options, they look and feel like a centerfire rifle when you get the wood stock models.

Thought about the Tikka and other options, I'm sure they are great but the two I have (455 has a 22LR and 17HMR barrel) do all I need.

Yo-Dave Trigger kits make the good trigger on CZs awesome for like $20 or something.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast