Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 336 magazine tube issue

Feedback Score

Marlin 336 magazine tube issue

Hi all Im new to lever action rifles and need some help.
    I recently purchased a 1970 336 in 35 Remington.
    I had a post previously about getting ammo and was able to get some. I haven't shot it yet but when I loaded it a few times the ammo wouldn't cycle, it occasionally gets stuck in the magazine tube and won't feed into the chamber. The ammo I'm using is Hornady Leverevelotion. I'm wondering if it's the ammo and the flex tip is causing the issue. Any thoughts?
    ”Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American… The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people”
    ~Tench Coxe

Feedback Score
    Have you cleaned and lubed the magazine tube yet? I recommend treating the magazine tube the same way you treat the barrel bore. After 50 years it could be kind of dry in there, and dry metal rubbing on dry metal...I speak as owner of a 70 year old Marlin 39A.
    Last edited by Rascally; 02-24-21 at 22:56.
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascally View Post
    Have you cleaned and lubed the magazine tube yet? I recommend treating the magazine tube the same way you treat the barrel bore. After 50 years it could be kind of dry in there, and dry metal rubbing on dry metal...I speak as owner of a 70 year old Marlin 39A.
    No haven't done that yet I'll definitely give it a try.
    ”Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American… The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people”
    ~Tench Coxe

Feedback Score
    If cleaning doesn't help, you might need a new spring.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Congradulations on your purchase! A 336 in 35 Remington is such a classic woods gun.

Its simple to remove the plug at the end of the magazine tube and give it a good cleaning. If you lube the magazine tube/spring/follower, do it sparingly. Lube tends to attract dirt and there is no funtional need to for it. I lightly lube to keep rust at bay.

Please be very careful if you are using live rounds to perform function tests.

When you shoot it at the range, don't baby it, operate the lever quickly. Cycling the action slowly always causes issues for me.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-25-21 at 05:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Congradulations on your purchase! A 336 in 35 Remington is such a classic woods gun.

Its simple to remove the plug at the end of the magazine tube and give it a good cleaning. If you lube the magazine tube/spring/follower, do it sparingly. Lube tends to attract dirt and there is no funtional need to for it. I lightly lube to keep rust at bay.

Please be very careful if you are using live rounds to perform function tests.

When you shoot it at the range, don't baby it, operate the lever quickly. Cycling the action slowly always causes issues for me.

Andy
    Thanks. I plan on cleaning it with solvent and letting it soak for 20 minutes and give it a good scrub. I won't use lubricant.
    I never knew how nice lever actions are. I may use it for hunting/home defense, due to the current political environment. I ordered dummy rounds to practice with.
    ~Tench Coxe

Feedback Score
    A quick shot of Hornady One Shot gun cleaner and lube won't hurt. It's a dry lube so it won't attract dust and won't get sticky. Just clean the tube and then one more shot and let it dry without wiping.

And yes, it's better to work the lever briskly. My 39A is the same way. Slow action causes issues with ejection.
    Last edited by Rascally; 02-25-21 at 07:44.
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascally View Post
    A quick shot of Hornady One Shot gun cleaner and lube won't hurt. It's a dry lube so it won't attract dust and won't get sticky. Just clean the tube and then one more shot and let it dry without wiping.

And yes, it's better to work the lever briskly. My 39A is the same way. Slow action causes issues with ejection.
    Thanks
    ~Tench Coxe

Feedback Score
    If you haven't been out to https://www.marlinowners.com// you might consider it. They have a whole forum on 336 35 Rem rifles. Lots of great info there on Marlins of all flavors.
    Semper Fi, Tres Deuce. Rest In Peace GM, MG, JK, CC. KIA May 2, 2008 - Freedom has a taste the protected will never know at a price they cannot understand.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    If you haven't been out to https://www.marlinowners.com// you might consider it. They have a whole forum on 336 35 Rem rifles. Lots of great info there on Marlins of all flavors.
    Thank you
    ~Tench Coxe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast