Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for soldiers: why doesn't the .mil let you carry a personal pistol?

Feedback Score
    1- Administrative control of weapons.

2- Logistical support

3- Pvt. Schmuckatelli
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    When it comes to a personal firearm the mindset of the branch is, "we can't control it, and haven't trained the personnel on it, therefore they shouldn't have it", this goes with all things.
    Even things like attachments and slings as well. I remember some arms room people straight freaking out because I put on a 2 point sling on my issued M4 that replaced the total crap 3 point. Epic meltdown. Which is why I ended up buying a Larue QD mount for a white light since they refused to issue them at the time. Just took it off after every shift and tossed it in my bag.

However, I can kinda understand the "why" they don't like having non-issue stuff on carbines and rifles. Not necessarily the Aimpoint/EOTech thing you spoke of, but you know some broke E-2 is going to show up with a whole bunch of Tapco's and Thermold's finest for their rifle and wonder WTF to do when the crap breaks.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post

3- Pvt. Schmuckatelli
    This is 99% of the reason right here.......
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    On base there are other issues, especially pertaining to the dudes in barracks. I mean, every weekend it's a bacchanal and perpetual game of alcohol-induced one-upsmanship (hey, watch me as I swan dive into a kiddie pool from the third deck). I can see why they'd want to control access to guns.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    On base there are other issues, especially pertaining to the dudes in barracks. I mean, every weekend it's a bacchanal and perpetual game of alcohol-induced one-upsmanship (hey, watch me as I swan dive into a kiddie pool from the third deck). I can see why they'd want to control access to guns.
    Well, I will say this. Early on in my career, some of the dorm rooms had more firearms in them than some of the arms storage on base. Then the Clinton gun ban took effect and the powers that be started cracking down on it over time. But I do recall it being the Wild West at one point.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When my cousin deployed in Operation Desert Storm as a 2nd Lieutenant in charge of a couple of Bradley Fighting Vehicles, he took his personally owned Glock 17 with him. I dunno the logistics of it, I dunno the legality of it etc....but he has numerous pictures of him with it shooting in the Desert etc.....He did see combat. His Bradleys engaged a T62 and blew the shit out of it with a Tow Missile I believe....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    When my cousin deployed in Operation Desert Storm as a 2nd Lieutenant in charge of a couple of Bradley Fighting Vehicles, he took his personally owned Glock 17 with him. I dunno the logistics of it, I dunno the legality of it etc....but he has numerous pictures of him with it shooting in the Desert etc.....He did see combat. His Bradleys engaged a T62 and blew the shit out of it with a Tow Missile I believe....
    I am not saying these things do not happen, but definitely illegal lol....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    3- Pvt. Schmuckatelli
    That MF'er still owes me $45 for ribbon placement at PX
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    Even things like attachments and slings as well. I remember some arms room people straight freaking out because I put on a 2 point sling on my issued M4 that replaced the total crap 3 point. Epic meltdown. Which is why I ended up buying a Larue QD mount for a white light since they refused to issue them at the time. Just took it off after every shift and tossed it in my bag.

However, I can kinda understand the "why" they don't like having non-issue stuff on carbines and rifles. Not necessarily the Aimpoint/EOTech thing you spoke of, but you know some broke E-2 is going to show up with a whole bunch of Tapco's and Thermold's finest for their rifle and wonder WTF to do when the crap breaks.
    Yeah, I remember a good amount of guys buying the ladder rail panels from ergo or someone else and getting reamed because they didn't have the knights panels, while at the same time there was an officer who didn't have a grip pod on his M4, so he purchased his own (tapco or something else) that was budget and we had him take if off the rifle as the thing wobbled so much we weren't sure how to correct his shooting.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I probably saw 5 Negligent Discharges in my 21 years. Those were all issued weapons that the Army had paperwork and chain of custody with clear lines of who had what, when it was signed out and who is responsible for that weapon.
    Now think about that a minute.
    Without all of that paperwork and chain of custody what happens when there is a negligent discharge, stolen weapon, or a murder?
    You don't want to know how bad this can go off the rails.

Not everybody in the military is a "Gun Guy" or has both feet on the trail, or is even a "Good Person."

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast