Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for soldiers: why doesn't the .mil let you carry a personal pistol?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    That MF'er still owes me $45 for ribbon placement at PX
    He stole some TA-50 from me to clear CIF when he got kicked out of the Army.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post

Not everybody in the military is a "Gun Guy" or has both feet on the trail, or is even a "Good Person."
    They call Fort Hood, "The HOOD" for a reason....... Lots of crime without allowing firearms in the barracks.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    He stole some TA-50 from me to clear CIF when he got kicked out of the Army.
    I used to call that person "Airman They" or "Sergeant They."

As in:

"They told me it was okay to do this."

"They said I didn't need to turn my stuff in."

"They said we were getting forward deployed for R&R cruise ship security in the Caribbean."

I really wanted to kick They's ass several times in my career.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    They call Fort Hood, "The HOOD" for a reason....... Lots of crime without allowing firearms in the barracks.
    One of my last acts before going to a training unit to retire; I've got an E-6 who's way out of control.
    He flipped a tank, nearly killing one of the crewman. I said right there, that guy aint right. His wife leaves him, he takes up with a deployed Soldiers wife. They go on a bender and he shoots here three times with a 30-30 and kills her.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    One of my last acts before going to a training unit to retire; I've got an E-6 who's way out of control.
    He flipped a tank, nearly killing one of the crewman. I said right there, that guy aint right. His wife leaves him, he takes up with a deployed Soldiers wife. They go on a bender and he shoots here three times with a 30-30 and kills her.
    Sounds like the Norm......

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    In WW2 my Dad carried a pistol he brought with him when he was drafted. Carried it all the way to England and served in the Army Air Corps.

In Vietnam you could carry your own as well. I know a guy who wasn't old enough to buy one, so his parents procured a Colt Gold Cup .45 and he carried that in country. I know another guy who was a LERP. Carried a PPK in his pocket. It came in handy one evening when the fight started up close.

Now soldiers returning from the middle east tell me that such is strictly forbidden.

Why is that?
    They weren’t supposed to even back then. And I have known people that have but the legal risks aren’t worth it.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    I used to call that person "Airman They" or "Sergeant They."

As in:

"They told me it was okay to do this."

"They said I didn't need to turn my stuff in."

"They said we were getting forward deployed for R&R cruise ship security in the Caribbean."

I really wanted to kick They's ass several times in my career.
    I hate “they”. I always ask who “they” is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post
    I think handguns are issued much more widely in the GWOT era than previous conflicts.
    I think later in GWOT that may be true, but early on? I dunno. I know many guys who never touched a sidearm...dates of service from 2002 all the way to 2012. My best friend and business partner was given a SAM-R with a Leupold 2.5-8x and that was it for his two tours. He said the first time he handled a sidearm was training at MARSOC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was a maintenance contractor, we were not to have an issued weapon.
    Oddly enough on my recovery missions there was always an extra.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post
    I think handguns are issued much more widely in the GWOT era than previous conflicts.
    I have read a few claims of WWI planning to have almost every soldier issued a sidearm. Lots of Model 1911 production along with supplemental S&W/Colt 1917 production during the relatively short US involvement in the war.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast