Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magazine Springs

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    They mention it some on the wolff website. Think lighter mag springs on a compensated pistol shooting really light loads or heavy mags springs with balls to the walls loads. The lighter springs will tend to speed the slide up vs the heavier wanting to slow things down.
    I just buy ammo and shoot. Nothing fancy, nothing suppressed. Typical 115, 124 and occasionally 147 factory loads through factory guns using factory mags. I'm as vanilla as it gets. The mag I'm still using daily is almost 20 years old

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
    I find that once I replace a factory spring with a Wolff spring, I never have to replace that spring again. I generally replace with extra power springs when available.
    Yeah, not all metals that manufacturers use are made/blended the same and to similar quality/standards. Wolff are the best.
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Give this experiment a try on a quality gun and get back to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Give this experiment a try on a quality gun and get back to me.
    I noticed with the Glock 22 gen 3. If the mag is fully loaded in the pistol as a 15 plus 1. That spring will only last 2 years roughly before it would stop locking the slide back. and maybe another 6 months before it would start to have feed issues. Would you consider the glock a "quality" gun?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think an important factor would be the design of the magazine. 1911 magazines are known for staying loaded for decades and remaining functional, while the lifespan of a double stack mag spring compressed to max and lifting 15+ rounds might be different.

Feedback Score
    In Wolff’s FAQ they state a magazine left loaded for long periods will weaken the spring. 1911 pistol seven round magazines seem to hold up better than the current seventeen round magazines, because they are not pushed to maximum capacity like modern pistol consumers prefer. When HK went from fifteen to seventeen rounds in their full size pistol magazines, I considered it a compromise they made to compete with rival manufacturers. I’ll keep my fifteen rounders, and consider them superior in design. Wolff also says downloading these high capacity magazines by a round or two will extend the spring life. I keep extra magazine springs for my carry pistol to replace once in a while. They are cheap insurance, and you don’t want a hiccup if your life might be on the line.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
    In Wolff’s FAQ they state a magazine left loaded for long periods will weaken the spring. 1911 pistol seven round magazines seem to hold up better than the current seventeen round magazines, because they are not pushed to maximum capacity like modern pistol consumers prefer. When HK went from fifteen to seventeen rounds in their full size pistol magazines, I considered it a compromise they made to compete with rival manufacturers. I’ll keep my fifteen rounders, and consider them superior in design. Wolff also says downloading these high capacity magazines by a round or two will extend the spring life. I keep extra magazine springs for my carry pistol to replace once in a while. They are cheap insurance, and you don’t want a hiccup if your life might be on the line.
    They say a lot but what is "extended" spring life? And what is "long periods"? Seriously! You consider it a compromise without having any actual numbers. Is it the difference between 80 years vs 120 years? A year vs decade?

I've got loaded mags sitting for a decade or more and they have no issues. Fully loaded to full capacity of 13,15,17,19,20,30 rounds. Roughly half are surplus one way or another, which means they've already been used and none are aftermarket. At this point they'll outlast me. So I guess if they don't make it to 2099 they're technically compromised

Last edited by Arik; 03-03-21 at 18:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    They say a lot but what is "extended" spring life? And what is "long periods"? Seriously! You consider it a compromise without having any actual numbers. Is it the difference between 80 years vs 120 years? A year vs decade?

I've got loaded mags sitting for a decade or more and they have no issues. Fully loaded to full capacity of 13,15,17,19,20,30 rounds. Roughly half are surplus one way or another, which means they've already been used and none are aftermarket. At this point they'll outlast me. So I guess if they don't make it to 2099 they're technically compromised

If you stick with a round wire spring, I’m guessing to increase capacity they have to make the spring wire thinner and the anti-tilt follower legs shorter. I think HK makes great pistols, and admired that they seemed to over-engineer their products... like not maxing out magazine capacity. So the magazine change just surprised me. I take what Wolff says with a tiny grain of salt because they are in the business of selling springs. Lastly, I don’t leave my magazines loaded unnecessarily.
    Last edited by Colt Carson; 03-03-21 at 19:31.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I've got loaded mags sitting for a decade or more and they have no issues.

Seriously doubt you actually shoot very often otherwise you would be aware that yes... They do wear over time and with use.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Seriously doubt you actually shoot very often otherwise you would be aware that yes... They do wear over time and with use.
    I don't use all the mags all the time. I have like 200 AK mags. About a dozen are loaded. I don't use those mags all the time I just keep them loaded. Same with Glock mags. I keep a few dozen loaded. Every once in a while ill check them. Once in a while I'll take them to the range. I think I have HK mags loaded from 2008. They work fine when taken to the range.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast