Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Magazine Springs

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Magazine Springs

You frequently see it said that a spring doesn't lose tension if it's merely left loaded, but wears out from the shooting.

There are too many anecdotes that affirm this, to just dismiss it. But I have had some recent experience.

1. I bought a Smith M&P40 cheap a few months ago. It was a police trade in and came with two magazines, papers, plastic case, etc. The two mags were the old style blued ones with the old style baseplates. They were almost immaculate. A bit dusty from shooting, but the bodies showed virtually no insertion wear, and no wear from carrying in the mag holder.

But the springs were weakened. One felt weak to push on with a finger, and it failed to hold the slide open 100% of the time. The other would hold the slide open, but it too felt weak to push on. I replaced both with Wolff and cured the problem; both were 100% functional.

2. I got a brand new Ruger .380 LCP about 3 years ago, for carry when doing athletic things. I test fired about 200 rounds, cleaned it. I Loaded six in the mag and let it sit. I recently took it to the range and shot it. It fed 100% but also failed to hold the slide open. Another trip to Wolff and the problem was cured.

So in these two examples, one of which I saw the whole process, apparently leaving them loaded took some of the push out of the spring.

So I think this: If you rely on a gun to save your hide, it wouldn't hurt to visit Wolff and every few years, spend six bucks and replace a magazine spring.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 02-26-21 at 21:25.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I always keep extra mag springs just in case and when I buy a used gun, always replace the mag spring if they feel weak. I ran into this on a Sig M11A1. I keep 3 to 4 loaded mags for my EDC Glock with no issues, but you bring up a good point

Nothing but good experiences with Wolff Springs

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Keep in mind that many police departments do not use training mags. Officers use duty mags for training by shucking all the duty rounds out then jamming training ammo in. For the entire service life of the pistol. They are seeing a lot of compression and uncompression in their service life.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I do the opposite. When I got my new EDC (M&P9) I tested two new magazines when I tested the gun. Flawless for several hundred rounds. Those became my EDC mags and don't get shot any more. I found some used ones at Aim Surplus for $12 each and bought 10. Those are my range mags. Call me a nerd but that's what I do.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I do the opposite. When I got my new EDC (M&P9) I tested two new magazines when I tested the gun. Flawless for several hundred rounds. Those became my EDC mags and don't get shot any more. I found some used ones at Aim Surplus for $12 each and bought 10. Those are my range mags. Call me a nerd but that's what I do.
    Not a nerd at all. I do that for edc. And my agency does that for training. We have tubs of Glock and pmags just for the range. It also helps eliminate people blowing through entire mags of duty ammo accidentally/negligently or otherwise.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I dunno about all that. Police trade ins are my favorite type of guns and accessories. Glocks or all types, Sigs, HKs, ARs and of course mags...I've yet to swap any spring or part. Even the mag in my edc is from the ban era. Has the "Law Enforcement Only" stamp on it. Still functions fine.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I dunno about all that. Police trade ins are my favorite type of guns and accessories. Glocks or all types, Sigs, HKs, ARs and of course mags...I've yet to swap any spring or part. Even the mag in my edc is from the ban era. Has the "Law Enforcement Only" stamp on it. Still functions fine.

They will wear over time and lead to problems. No spring is going to last forever if it is actually being used.

And I definitely like that Wolf offers mag springs in different weights. That can be useful in special applications...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I find that once I replace a factory spring with a Wolff spring, I never have to replace that spring again. I generally replace with extra power springs when available.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    They will wear over time and lead to problems. No spring is going to last forever if it is actually being used.

And I definitely like that Wolf offers mag springs in different weights. That can be useful in special applications...
    I don't doubt that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I don't doubt that.

They mention it some on the wolff website. Think lighter mag springs on a compensated pistol shooting really light loads or heavy mags springs with balls to the walls loads. The lighter springs will tend to speed the slide up vs the heavier wanting to slow things down.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast