Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vetting a gun prior to Form 1?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The gun has a good rep, I just blow a couple rounds then SBR it. We just have the 1,000 torture test availability. And even if you do, you still want to conserve.

Good luck.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Actually my FFL got back from vacation yesterday so I was able to go pick up my scorpion about an hour ago. Pretty neat, still dumb without a stock, but I think I’ll eventually like this thing. Although just manipulating the controls is pretty obvious that the factory right side selector is going to have to go. This is my first “submachine gun” style firearm.

I’d probably prefer to test fire a couple hundred rounds like Bret says (I’m one of those guys that has to put at least 500+ rounds through a potential new carry gun before trusting it too) but with my continued weekly handgun sessions leaving my 9mm supplies in a depleted state I find the prospect of just “wasting” ammo shooting the Scorpion in its impractical factory configuration to be an unappealing prospect. So I guess it’s going to come down to picking a number I’m comfortable with.

Once I do get this thing SBR’d I’m hoping I can find the factory CZ folding stock because right now they appear to be unobtanium.
    Delete that right side selector, get a duckbill mag release, new grip, and change your trigger springs (all HBI). You'll like your scorpion a whole lot more then.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Delete that right side selector, get a duckbill mag release, new grip, and change your trigger springs (all HBI). You'll like your scorpion a whole lot more then.
    The safety delete and trigger spring are definitely on the short list, as in, I’ll probably order those two things before I even shoot it for the first time, because both those things are truly awful from the factory. Once I’m sure the gun is going to run I’ll probably go for some additional upgrades

I’m honestly surprised CZ is still shipping Scorpions with that right side safety lever as basically everyone points out that it’s terrible and chews up their finger. I noticed how bad it was just manipulating and dry-firing the gun.

Feedback Score
    I’d run at least 1 through it before messing with anything, and then another after the trigger/safety mods, before filing the Form 1. That’s about all I’ve done with mine. Given a factory build from a reputable manufacturer, I didn’t feel the need to “torture test” it like I have with a home built AR or imported AK.

I also had trouble finding the factory stock, this was available though, and is the factory cheek piece/folding mechanism. Driving out the pin allows the factory stock portion to be inserted and you’re good to go. It shows out of stock but Midway has been good about notifying and fulfilling backorders.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021569142?pid=123281

https://www.preppergunshop.com/cz-sc...tt-stock-black

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgrizz27 View Post
    I’d run at least 1 through it before messing with anything, and then another after the trigger/safety mods, before filing the Form 1. That’s about all I’ve done with mine. Given a factory build from a reputable manufacturer, I didn’t feel the need to “torture test” it like I have with a home built AR or imported AK.

I also had trouble finding the factory stock, this was available though, and is the factory cheek piece/folding mechanism. Driving out the pin allows the factory stock portion to be inserted and you’re good to go. It shows out of stock but Midway has been good about notifying and fulfilling backorders.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021569142?pid=123281

https://www.preppergunshop.com/cz-sc...tt-stock-black
    Since I pretty much refused to waste precious 9mm shooting it in its dumb factory “pistol” config I was actually able to borrow a brace for it until I decide to proceed with the Form 1. Thanks for the links, although I’ve already got a line on a factory stock which is pretty much waiting on me to purchase it once the Form 1 is approved.
    I have only put about 50 rounds through it with the brace so far but my shooting impressions are positive. Considering I’m shooting an unfamiliar gun and the trigger is awful, I have been legitimately surprised by the accuracy, even out to 100 yards.
    I ended up just taking a dremel to the right side safety lever, grinding it down just enough so it doesn’t jab me but leaving enough of a “tail” on it so that I can still use my trigger finger to “pull” it back on Safe, as I find using my thumb to go from Fire back to Safe to be awkward compared to, say, an AR.
    I’ve got the HBI spring kit on the way as we speak.

Feedback Score
    Since I pretty much refused to waste precious 9mm shooting it in its dumb factory “pistol” config
    One thing about the pistol configuration is that if a gun will cycle reliably without a stock, it will almost certainly cycle with a stock (all else being equal).

Feedback Score
    Since I pretty much refused to waste precious 9mm shooting it in its dumb factory “pistol” config
    One thing about the pistol configuration is that if a gun will cycle reliably without a stock, it will almost certainly cycle with a stock (all else being equal).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Man with ammo prices being what they are, I would take the risk. The worst case (and extremely unlikely) scenario is you lose 200 bucks, which at this point in the inflation game amounts to sales tax. I would just bite the bullet and do it, then hope ammo prices are heading towards normal by the time I got the stamp and did the conversion.

There is always that outside chance though they might open up the registry for free, so... Might not hurt to wait a few months and see how that EO plays out. Playing devil's advocate, though, that could also mean an indefinite backlog and many months or even years of waiting for approval. So I guess it kind of depends on whether potentially saving 200 bucks is worth potentially having to wait a long time. My own personal strategy is file the things I really want badly right now, and have some lowers in reserve in case they do open up the registry for free.
    Last edited by okie; 04-12-21 at 01:45.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Good point. I guess to make firing it in pistol mode at least somewhat worthwhile I could put on a gas mask and try that old SAS sling tension method of shooting an SMG without using a stock.

Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Man with ammo prices being what they are, I would take the risk. The worst case (and extremely unlikely) scenario is you lose 200 bucks, which at this point in the inflation game amounts to sales tax. I would just bite the bullet and do it, then hope ammo prices are heading towards normal by the time I got the stamp and did the conversion.

There is always that outside chance though they might open up the registry for free, so... Might not hurt to wait a few months and see how that EO plays out. Playing devil's advocate, though, that could also mean an indefinite backlog and many months or even years of waiting for approval. So I guess it kind of depends on whether potentially saving 200 bucks is worth potentially having to wait a long time. My own personal strategy is file the things I really want badly right now, and have some lowers in reserve in case they do open up the registry for free.
    Even once I’m satisfied that the gun is probably good to go It’s probably going to be a couple months before I move on another Form 1 anyway. Just because I already have another one pending right now anyway, and honestly I have a bunch non-gun expenses I need to attend to soon too. So it might be a bit before I can allocate the $200.
    As far as them opening the registry for free...getting a “free” tax stamp would be nice although I think the broader implications of them doing that would bother me enough that I wouldn’t see it as a “win”.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12