Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fired a Glock today -- pleasantly surprised. NEW UPDATE: Glock is the new EDC!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Fired a Glock today -- pleasantly surprised. NEW UPDATE: Glock is the new EDC!

I never liked Glocks. I had shot a G23 and a G19 before, and I recall a negative impression.

So today i shot a G23. It had steel sights, nice grip stippling job, trigger buff, and relieved trigger guard.

I was pleasantly surprised. Ammo was 180 grain range fodder, nothing too hot. The gun absorbed recoil well and inspired confidence. The grip angle, which I recall bothering me before, seemed a non-issue; put the front sight on the bullseye and squeeze off. And this is after firing 50 rounds through my 1911.

Would I trade my M&P for a G17? No, but if I had to use one, I wouldn't be a bit bashful. if I get a chance to pick a G17 up cheap after the Panic subsides, I just might.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 03-24-21 at 23:52.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I never liked Glocks. I had shot a G23 and a G19 before, and I recall a negative impression.

So today i shot a G23. It had steel sights, a nice grip stippling job, a trigger buff, and a relieved trigger guard.

I was pleasantly surprised. Ammo was 180-grain range fodder, nothing too hot. The gun absorbed recoil well and inspired confidence. The grip angle, which I recall bothering me before, seemed a non-issue; put the front sight on the bullseye and squeeze off. And this is after firing 50 rounds through my 1911.

Would I trade my M&P for a G17? No, but if I had to use one, I wouldn't be a bit bashful. if I get a chance to pick a G17 up cheap after the Panic subsides, I just might.
    Sounds good, what gen was it do you know? I feel the Gen 5 is the best of all the Gens myself. I always liked the finger grooves on the early Gen's but I like my Gen5 19X the best of any I have owned. I will be fair and say I only owned Gen 3 before this one, one was the RTF Gen 1 texture (my favorite) and then an RTF 2 which I still have. I agree if this panic BS ever stops & you're thinking about a 17 I would do one better and get the G45 or the 19X if ya like the color. I bought my 19x cuz of a killer deal, color is bearable but if I had a choice it would be black. Consider a MOS also, eventually your eyes will appreicate it, LOL !

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What's very cool about Glock is that the trigger stays all the way back when the gun runs out of ammo and the slide locks back. Very cool. All striker fired guns should do this.

Feedback Score
    I was issued a Gen 5 model 19 and I have multiple Glocks, the trigger is different as is the barrel. The accuracy is way up and I am almost tempted to replace my older Glocks with the new one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So . . . This weekend at the gun show I got my first Glock.

G17 Gen 5. Found a brand new one for sale at a reasonable price. I'll probably shoot it later this week or next week.

The Gen 5 seems to have cured the problem I had with earlier Glocks that I had shot, namely, the boxy grip and unfortunate finger grooves. This one gives my M&P a run for its money on ergonomics.

Do I think G17 will replace M&P9 for EDC? Probably not, as I got the Smith with the thumb safety intentionally. Sure, sure, if I do my part I don't need a thumb safety. But rather than just saddle up in the morning and take it off at night, I frequently have to go into restricted spaces. This means a lot more handling and I feel better with the thumb safety. I don't want to get Glock Leg, you know.

I'm going to look for a G21 for range fun.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I kinda swore off Glocks for a number of years (I did keep my Gen 3 G23 but hated it and never shot it) and kinda convinced myself I didn’t like them. I eventually ended up getting a G48 though and did kinda like it.
    One day I decided having a full sized 9mm Glock around might not be a bad idea too so I traded a P30SK (I never quite acclimated to the LEM trigger) for a G45, figuring I wasn’t going to really do much with the gun. Fast forward a bit and it ended up kinda becoming my EDC. Originally I was going to carry the 48 but the 45 sorta usurped it the role. Not the best choice perhaps as it’s a bit big for someone of my stature but I just really found myself liking the gun a lot. Where I don’t spend much time out in public and around other people I don’t generally worry about “deep concealment” I think I put about 3300 rounds through it (I’d have to check my logbook for the actual number). I ended up getting a Gen 5 G17 as well and now I’m mostly shooting that one instead (50 rounds per week.... ) and carrying the G45.
    The 17 had some issues early on but 600 rounds in it seems to have self corrected so I dunno what was going on.

Feedback Score
    i've got about a dozen 9mm glock pistols. Once I tried playing "my pretty princess pistol" by looking for a "nicer gun" that I would "enjoy shooting more."

Got a Beretta 92 series. Shot 3 mags through it. Thought to myself, "Huh, this is basically a Glock, but with more buttons I don't need." Sold it the next day.

I've never sold a 9mm Glock. They just shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot. I'm still carrying a G26 I bought in summer 2011. Had to replace the night sights recently as they were a bit dim.... but otherwise, not much to improve upon, IMO.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    So . . . This weekend at the gun show I got my first Glock.

G17 Gen 5. Found a brand new one for sale at a reasonable price. I'll probably shoot it later this week or next week.

The Gen 5 seems to have cured the problem I had with earlier Glocks that I had shot, namely, the boxy grip and unfortunate finger grooves. This one gives my M&P a run for its money on ergonomics.

Do I think G17 will replace M&P9 for EDC? Probably not, as I got the Smith with the thumb safety intentionally. Sure, sure, if I do my part I don't need a thumb safety. But rather than just saddle up in the morning and take it off at night, I frequently have to go into restricted spaces. This means a lot more handling and I feel better with the thumb safety. I don't want to get Glock Leg, you know.

I'm going to look for a G21 for range fun.
    Good luck with your new Glock, I hope it works the way you want it too. Maybe someday I'll get a Gen5 to try but all of my previous attempts to use and like a glock failed. They always shoot left for me whereas no other pistol does this including DA revolvers.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I ignored Glocks a for a long time because everybody had one then finally bought a Gen 4 G19 to see what the hype was about. No hype, Glocks do what they do very well. I liked it enough but upgraded when something that was objectively better for me came along (Walther PPQ).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
    I ignored Glocks a for a long time because everybody had one then finally bought a Gen 4 G19 to see what the hype was about. No hype, Glocks do what they do very well. I liked it enough but upgraded when something that was objectively better for me came along (Walther PPQ).
    Should have tried the gen 5 it’s a lot different!!
    Last edited by glockycharms; 03-14-21 at 19:11.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast