Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ghost Guns

Feedback Score
    Arguing laws is ridiculous. We are in a post rule of law society. The laws no longer apply equally and the constitution is no longer followed.
    The gun control agenda isn't about preventing crime. Its about control period. Its as much of a scam as racism in 2021.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperTwoSix View Post
    All true. In the state I live in I can also go to the swap meet and buy a rifle with cash and not even get my ID checked. I am not against 80 lowers, or black power, or Curio and Relic firearms.

I am all for liberty and freedom. If you, Arik, want to buy an 80 lower and build a working firearm, I think you, Arik, should be able to do so. Now, if the the meth addicts up the street want to buy an 80 lower and build a working firearm then I have an issue with that. I also understand no law will affect one without the other in that scenario. I do not advocate enacting laws or regulation against 80 lowers, but I also try to understand the point on view of those that do.
    I think we should encourage meth addicts to build and test their own guns.

Seriously, do you think a drug addict is going to machine an 80% lower, mail order the remaining parts, purchase the required tools, and assemble an AR? Have you ever met someone addicted to hard drugs?

I would bet 99% of the "ghost gun" builders are 40-60 year old law abiding men.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I think we should encourage meth addicts to build and test their own guns.

Seriously, do you think a drug addict is going to machine an 80% lower, mail order the remaining parts, purchase the required tools, and assemble an AR? Have you ever met someone addicted to hard drugs?

I would bet 99% of the "ghost gun" builders are 40-60 year old law abiding men.

Andy
    Fair point.

But maybe you’re right... if they do build a firearm maybe they’ll shoot themselves with it. That’s if the home-made lab in the bathtub doesn’t blow them up first.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I know there are reports of cartels with machine shops in Mexico completing 80% receivers, so your concern is not completely unwarranted. Then again, I honestly don't care whether or not we help the cartels kill one another in Mexico.

Criminals in the US take advantage of the theft loophole. No background check, no paperwork, you don't even have to pay taxes. Just let the law abiding suckers go to work and take their stuff.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Ugh...this place is sounding like TOS more & more every day....I miss the more erudite days here.

I don’t mean to burst anyone’s bubble, but “80% Receivers” are a marketing term—nothing more. The ATF never assessed the incomplete lowers and said they were “80% complete” so a 79% is a work around. The samples were submitted to the The lowers were submitted for assessment as a firearm or not & they are not, based on work done & submitted by a couple different companies in early 2000 based on memory:

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/atf...#axzz6noIkIpIP

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/what-...wer-receivers/

ATF Firearms and Ammunition Technology Division (FATD) was asked if the unmachined lowers are firearms per GCA-68, and they aren’t, per ATF. A decade or more ago, there were 80% sellers who never submitted samples to FATD and that caused a shitstorm. The polymer lowers were never formally ok’s by ATF which resulted in raids years ago, too.

For those who don’t recall the Akins Accelerator, it was ok’d by FATD, then they changed their minds & the springs had to be removed & springless bump stocks were born. Then they were outlawed a few years ago, yes by the Republican Donald Trump, which was also supported by the NRA.

My point is that ATF isn’t exactly known for their technical acumen or consistency. They have called rubber bands, shoe laces, wire, hangers & paper clips “machine guns.” They currently look past home hobbyists who make TATP, ETN or other high explosives in small experimental quantities, until someone does something stupid, then they’re charged with making “weapons of mass destruction.”

Under this current presidency, 80% lowers will undergo regulation, if not outright ban; forearm braces will be banned or require AOW stamps and I wouldn’t be surprised if semiautos and mags over 10 rounds are outright banned.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see the $200 Title II stamp go to $2000+; the equivalent value comparing 1934’s $200 stamp is almost $4000 in today’s Economy.

Criminals by definition do not follow laws. Every time I prescribe a narcotic legally as a physician, they have to sign a “contract” that they won’t misuse or sell them, or let anyone else take them, yet we have ODs daily in our ER. It’s magical thinking to believe that “just the right words” endorsed by politicians will magically stop inner city youths from killing each other in drug/turf wars. And it’s even more absurd to penalize law-abiding taxpaying US citizens and turn them into felons with a pen stroke.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlberry View Post
    My question is really aimed at the practicality for the novice. So all you need is a drill press and nothing else? What quality drill press? Some are table top and some are heavy precision machine tool types.
    Depends on the gun. The glock 80% lowers really don't require that much other than a drill press and some hand tools. Hell you could probably use a drill although I wouldn't recommend it. With the right jigs an 80% ar lower can be done with some pretty basic tools. The P320 80% lower looks like it can be done with their jig, a mallet, Dremel, and hacksaw in addition to a drill or drill press and well a vice.

As someone else pointed out a lot of people screw 80%'s up or they work but look like crap. I've seen some really nice work done though with basic tools and with things like the ghost gunner. With the later you see the layer cuts on the inside but they can do pretty good work overall.

Feedback Score
    What I was actually trying to find out was if machining a receiver out of aluminum (I should have specified that) was actually practical for the average person. I can see someone doing it who has a lot of money and a fully equipped machine shop, but realistically are all that many people going to tool up (which can be very expensive to only make one of a kind) and actually make the things? And I really didn't want to get into the gun control thing.

But since someone raised the issue: As for background checks I am old enough to remember when we didn't have them and you could order by mail. That's when I got my first rifle a British N4 Mk1 Lee Enfield. That was back when the 2nd Amendment actually meant something. So I am not in favor of background checks/1968 gun control act. All that was a reaction to Kennedy's assassination.
    Last edited by mlberry; 03-01-21 at 04:52.

Feedback Score
    It depends on your work/life experience, I guess.

I used to run the old analog Bridgeport vertical mill & lathes in a machine shop. While I am not trained as a machinist, I understand the basics & could do it. I don’t think it would be very pretty with just a drill press. But I suspect it would work. Steady, horizontal movement, which is what a vertical mill with a moving table & vise is what gives you smooth cuts, assuming proper endmill selection. I don’t know how that would be replicated, unless it was with another purchase: a hand cranked, 2 axis table with vise that would fit the lower.

However, just like reloads—I trust mine, but I wouldn’t trust someone else’s.

I don’t think the average person I interact with daily could make a pretty lower with a drill press, OP. Functional? Maybe. Please don’t take it as a personal slight. The machinist who trained me back in the 1970s could “see” if a part was a few thousandths off—I don’t know if it was a trick or not—but he was like Mozart—but for machining. The man was an artist with steel, aluminum, brass & anything else he worked on. If you have the innate skills he had, maybe you could. All the 80% I’ve encountered look like someone with a Dremel tried to build an ashtray.

ETA: the folks most likely to benefit from an 80% that looks “professional” know someone who has a CNC 3-axis machine & either bought or downloaded the code, so “machining” is a simple push of a button, like the “Ghost Gun” gizmo. Since I know how an analog vertical endmill works, I suspect ATF doesn’t “believe” pushing a button is the same as running an analog machine that took several hours to mill a lower, vs quite literally, the push of a button.

But I suspect our Founding Fathers never would have envisioned this digital forum, either.....
    Last edited by MSW; 03-01-21 at 05:55. Reason: Clarification

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    The gov doesn't like them because they can't control them and they want to control every aspect of everything...
    absolutely.
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    “This is a ghost gun. This right here has the ability with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Thirty magazine clip in half a second.”

Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast