Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire Time - AT vs AS

Feedback Score
    I have been running Toyo open country III s for a while. They are an AT but not as noisy as the BFGs ATs I previously ran. Decent in snow and mud in pa, but smooth on the highway with excellent wet braking. 2013 F-150

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I live in Southeast PA. We usually get a decent amount of snow. Some years it's only a few inches and other years the feet keep piling on. From 2007 to 2018 we had a few big storms and we had winters where the storms wouldn't stop. Each week there'd be half foot + for weeks on end. Throughout that time I drove an underpowered 4cyl, front wheel drive "sports" coupe. I would drive thru the back roads where the snow was feet deep and my bumper was pushing the snow. It 11 years I never got stuck and was never afraid of deep snow. I also never gave a shit what tires I had as long as they had good tread. I often bought the cheapest junk. Never got stock, never even had a thought of maybe I shouldn't have taken this road. Just have good tread

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I have a Silverado K1500 and I have gotten most of the good (?) out of the OEM Goodyear tires.

Besides looking more appropriate for a Z-71 4x4, is there any reason I should be looking at All Terrain tires over All Season?

I live in N. Alabama and 95% of my driving is on pavement with the remaining on gravelish roads. Wet traction is more important than snow/winter or mud/offroad performance.

I am going to install a 1.5" leveling kit and run 265 70 18 in leiu of the factory 265 65 18s for 2" more ground clearance for what its worth and tires will be US or Canada.

Thanks

Andy

So I have had a 2013 Tahoe and now own a 2017 GMC Sierra, but I have been in your predicament before. Granted I live in a winter climate so take that as you will, but 2 tires that seem to do everything well for both AT and AS have been the the General Grabber APT (Tahoe) and Yokahama Geolander A/T's (Sierra) they combine the best of both worlds in my humble opinion. The Generals were great, and got decent fuel economy, the Yokahama's are better off-road, but really tame on road. Links are below.

https://generaltire.com/tires/light-...uv/grabber-apt

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015

If you want something to go with your leveling kit that are awesome A/t tires, I recommend Falken Wildpeak A/T's

https://www.falkentire.com/tires/lig...peaka/t3w-tire
    Last edited by Hank6046; 02-28-21 at 21:07.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    I have been using the open country III’s for a few thousand miles now, after switching form Goodyear ATSs. They have slightly more road noise, and my mileage has had a small decrease. But they have worked good in light off-roading and snow.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    So I have had a 2013 Tahoe and now own a 2017 GMC Sierra, but I have been in your predicament before. Granted I live in a winter climate so take that as you will, but 2 tires that seem to do everything well for both AT and AS have been the the General Grabber APT (Tahoe) and Yokahama Geolander A/T's (Sierra) they combine the best of both worlds in my humble opinion. The Generals were great, and got decent fuel economy, the Yokahama's are better off-road, but really tame on road. Links are below.

https://generaltire.com/tires/light-...uv/grabber-apt

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015

If you want something to go with your leveling kit that are awesome A/t tires, I recommend Falken Wildpeak A/T's

https://www.falkentire.com/tires/lig...peaka/t3w-tire
    +1 on the Falkens. I've been very happy with mine, although my main concern is snow and wet roads.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    The one product in the last couple years, out of all categories, that has impressed me the most is Bridgestone Blizzacs as snow tires (if that's what you're asking). I preach the Blizzac gospel with the fervor of a traveling evangelist. Yea though I drive through the valley of snow, I will not slip and slide, etc.
    I guess their snow tires are better than their other lines. Because IMO Bridgestone Tires suck. We’ve had three different sets on two different Yukons and every set has been horrible.

I’ve had good luck with Toyo ATs. They stock my 2500 diesel on wet pavement well enough and have good off-road traction. And I’ve gotten great mileage with Hankook.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I personally run ATs on my truck...BFG KO2 and this winter they have been very good in the snow we had in PA. Plus I got a decent deal on them..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    I personally run ATs on my truck...BFG KO2 and this winter they have been very good in the snow we had in PA. Plus I got a decent deal on them..
    I have heard good things about the KO2's. I have Open Country 's on my LX570. Road wise, they have been plenty good. I 'm sure there is a little bit more road noise, but the trade off is better off road and water siphoning capability.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I worked in a service station in the mid to late 1980s and the Toyo Open Country A/T tires really dominated our area. They were reasonably priced, held up against cactus and lasted very well on the gravel roads.

Of course, once everyone became fans, the prices crept up.

I am pleased to see at least some of the Toyo tires are made in the US.

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    I have heard good things about the KO2's. I have Open Country 's on my LX570. Road wise, they have been plenty good. I 'm sure there is a little bit more road noise, but the trade off is better off road and water siphoning capability.
    They aren't that bad on the highway, but I had to get mudflaps as any piece of debris on a road would get picked up and flung backwards. They had no problem in the snow and they are snow/severe (or whatever they call the little snowflake emblem on the tire) rated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast