Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended series (TV)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Recommended series (TV)

Yes, there’s a lull in The Americans for a couple of seasons. Still good, but the last season or two pick up the pace and are really well done.

I’m currently watching Low Winter Sun. If you like it, the same lead actor is in Deep State. I’m half way through season 1 of it as well.

I’ll second Peaky Blinders, Better Call Saul, The Americans, Taboo and Justified.

Ray Donovan - Jon Voight really steals the show.

Ozark
    The Last Kingdom
    Gangs of London

Kingdom - A show about a struggling family who are involved in MMA and run a small gym. Really good acting and more interesting than it sounds.

Westworld
    Stranger Things
    Mindhunter
    Frontier
    Longmire
    Last edited by Waylander; 03-01-21 at 00:35.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Completely agree, regarding John Adams. Laura Linney (Abigail) and Stephen Dillane (Jefferson) both knocked it out of the park as well. We seem to have similar tastes in shows.

Barkskins Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7S1vHEf3Gg

Treat yourself.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Originally on AMC and now on Netflix, Turn: Washington's Spies is especially well done.
    Really enjoyed Turn. Even my kids watched it. Washington seemed ‘high’ or constipated in it... weird. Washington in ‘John Adams’ was a total bad-ass.

Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    Battlestar Galactica 2003
    The Americans
    Vikings
    The Witcher
    Wu Assassin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    You have earned a spot on my couch...

Narcos, Columbia over Mexico.

Broadchurch and the insanity of doing it all over, at least shot for shot and line for line, in Gracepoint. Same actor in lead role.

Finishing up “Halt and Catch Fire” from AMC on Netflix now. Interesting, since I was a kid at those times, with a Commodore 64, tape drive and a 300 baud modem. Totally forgot about having to pay by time, like the hour, to be online. I remember begging for a 1541 5.25 floppy drive...
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 02-28-21 at 22:12.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Oh, yeah! A big second on Halt and Catch Fire! Smoking good show. Good suggestion.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Strike Back - the original 4 seasons. Bro-tastic operators operating operationally, bewbs and explosions. Everything a growing boy needs. Third season was kinda weak, but I think they did a decent job picking it back up for the fourth (even if the ending required a bit more suspension of disbelief than average).

The Expanse - near-future sci-fi. The first 3 seasons were brilliant. I was less impressed with the recent 4 and 5, but maybe others liked them better.
    Actually, I'll say it - I was bloody bored through season 5; so much filler. And the 4th introduced several plotholes in the course of events in it because they clearly needed things to play out through a certain socio-political lens (plus one big WTF moment related to previous in-world events).

As already noted, Black Sails. The first 2 and a half seasons were great. The show starts to wobble a bit in the third season, and wobbles quite a lot in the fourth, but still enough good moments to get through it. Capt. Vayne is a freakin' bad@ss.

I'm going to be contrarian on the Witcher; Henry Cavill was the only really good thing about that show. I just could not get into it. I tried; I REALLY tried to like it, even with the missed casting. Ironically that ended up being the least of my gripes. It felt like Netflix just wanted their own 'game of thrones' and on a budget to boot, and kinda hijacked the material to do so. There was something missing with Witcher that I just can't put my finger on, but it came across rather rote and very predictable. YMMV I guess.
    Just watch Game of Thrones, if you haven't already (except the final season which shall not be named ).

Second Ray Donovan as well - very much in the vein of Sons of Anarchy and The Shield. The show can get little "ring around the rosy" a bit as, like SOA and Shield, the plot revolves around the main character getting themselves in the shit each season and needing to find a clever way out. Also not a great show to watch if you are already stressed out... But overall, I really can't say it has a truly weak season; some slumps here and there among the seasons, but overall, solid.

Totally forgot about Halt and Catch Fire; I lost visibility on a number of AMC shows when it got cut by my TV provider.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 02-28-21 at 22:50.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Recommended series (TV)

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Second Ray Donovan as well - very much in the vein of Sons of Anarchy and The Shield. The show can get little "ring around the rosy" a bit as, like SOA and Shield, the plot revolves around the main character getting themselves in the shit each season and needing to find a clever way out. Also not a great show to watch if you are already stressed out...But overall, I really can't say it has a truly weak season; some slumps here and there among the seasons, but overall, solid.
    Totally agree on this except the bold part. Some of the hijinks they get in are so silly sometimes it’s funny. And Mickey/Jon Voight “You muthaf***a!!” and some of his one-liners are comic gold!

It was stress relief for us.
    Apparently they’re making a movie that picks up where it left off.

https://tvline.com/2021/02/24/ray-do...iev-schreiber/
    Last edited by Waylander; 02-28-21 at 23:20.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Recommended series (TV)

I’ll be the contrarian on Vikings. It got sideways after a few seasons. The Last Kingdom is similar but a lot better in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    Totally agree on this except the bold part. Some of the hijinks they get in are so silly sometimes it’s funny. And Mickey/Jon Voight “You muthaf***a!!” and some of his one-liners are comic gold!

It was stress relief for us...
    Maybe it's just because I *really* hate conniving, halfassed people like that, and watching soft-hearted, naive, forgiving people fall for it just to get screwed over and over and over again. Like, I would have shot him, or in some other way got him out of the picture WAY sooner in that show, if I were the MC. Definitely after the Armenian thing which straight up would have been THE LAST straw; it would all have been a very convenient situation for it too.
    Which I guess, just goes to show how good of a job he did with that part...

Agreed on the Vikings thing too; I found myself sort of "getting into" the show briefly here and there and then losing interest, then getting into it, then losing interest. Weirdly a very hit and miss show for me.
    Same thing with Turn; just could not get into the show cuz of the MC. Don't have anything against the guy, but...just didn't catch my interest somehow. I was bored mostly.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 02-28-21 at 23:46.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Maybe it's just because I *really* hate conniving, halfassed people like that, and watching soft-hearted, naive, forgiving people fall for it just to get screwed over and over and over again. Like, I would have shot him, or in some other way got him out of the picture WAY sooner in that show, if I were the MC. Definitely after the Armenian thing which straight up would have been THE LAST straw; it would all have been a very convenient situation for it too.
    Which I guess, just goes to show how good of a job he did with that part...

Agreed on the Vikings thing too; I found myself sort of "getting into" the show briefly here and there and then losing interest, then getting into it, then losing interest. Weirdly a very hit and miss show for me.
    Same thing with Turn; just could not get into the show cuz of the MC. Don't have anything against the guy, but...just didn't catch my interest somehow. I was bored mostly.
    Yea, I totally agree about the old man. You could see why the son totally hated pop’s guts regardless of pop trying to redeem himself and doing the things he did to cover for his sons.

Not to give away too much, but our running joke was the old man would sell out roaches and survive a carpet bomb.

I think it worked but you’re right, it wore us the hell out after a while.

Feedback Score
    Donovan’s is about not being able to truly recreate yourself and that everyone has a idiot brother or BIL. Family is forever, either with ongoing pain or lasting scars.

Anyone want to come over for Thanksgiving and meet the rest of the Hands?

I’m getting to where pretty much any series on the BBC or AMC, and I’m in - especially any BBC crime drama.

I really need to start reading books. All I do is read periodicals and troll your asses here on M4C.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast