Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on an AR 8.5" SBR setup

Feedback Score

Opinions on an AR 8.5" SBR setup

I'm assembling a home defense weapon/general purpose system using an 8.5" 300 blk as the platform with an Omega 300 suppressor. I have some questions, as there is little real estate on this weapon and compromise may be necessary.

1) LASER + OPTIC + BUIS: Should I run an optic with an illuminator? I am resolute on running the laser but do I really need all three (laser, optic, BUIS) since this is going to be a CQC/CQB system? Would I be better off with just a set of quality fixed sights to back up the laser? Running all three seems redundantly redundant and eats a ton of my top rail.

2) WEAPON LIGHT: I'm thinking a TLR-1 since I can easily get a dual switch for the torch and the laser and the TLR-1 seems like it would take up less real estate. Are there better alternatives that have a low profile and accept a dual pressure pad without adapters? Also, where should I run the light? I'm right handed and was planning to run it top/front (shadow down) with the laser on the 3 o'clock, pressure pad on the 9 o'clock. Would that make sense?

3) VERTICAL FOREGRIP: I strongly prefer VFGs. Foregrips with an integrated light would be helpful and save me some real estate; however, most look like toys. Are there any durable/tested/good ones out there?

To be clear, I can concede accessories on this system; however, I cannot concede the laser, light, and foregrip. I'm just trying to fit all of this on a short gun. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HanYolo View Post
    I'm assembling a home defense weapon/general purpose system using an 8.5" 300 blk as the platform with an Omega 300 suppressor. I have some questions, as there is little real estate on this weapon and compromise may be necessary.

1) LASER + OPTIC + BUIS: Should I run an optic with an illuminator? I am resolute on running the laser but do I really need all three (laser, optic, BUIS) since this is going to be a CQC/CQB system? Would I be better off with just a set of quality fixed sights to back up the laser? Running all three seems redundantly redundant and eats a ton of my top rail.

2) WEAPON LIGHT: I'm thinking a TLR-1 since I can easily get a dual switch for the torch and the laser and the TLR-1 seems like it would take up less real estate. Are there better alternatives that have a low profile and accept a dual pressure pad without adapters? Also, where should I run the light? I'm right handed and was planning to run it top/front (shadow down) with the laser on the 3 o'clock, pressure pad on the 9 o'clock. Would that make sense?

3) VERTICAL FOREGRIP: I strongly prefer VFGs. Foregrips with an integrated light would be helpful and save me some real estate; however, most look like toys. Are there any durable/tested/good ones out there?

To be clear, I can concede accessories on this system; however, I cannot concede the laser, light, and foregrip. I'm just trying to fit all of this on a short gun. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Short on rail space? Dump the BUIS.

If you like the TLR1 go ahead and get it, useful training will be of larger importance. Included with that training is making sure you get it zero'd properly...

If you want a VFG, get a VFG and ditch the built in laser idea.

More importantly, what ammo have you stocked up on for this concept?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have a very similar setup, 9” 300 BLK with same can. I played with various light setups, and settled on a Streamlight TLR RM2 (was running an Inforce WML prior with very similar ergos) in a Haley Strategic Thorntail 2 offset mount. It works well for me. I do have a BUIS, and my support hand thumb just rides on top of it. I had Magpul MBUS Pros on at one point, and they’re smaller size freed up two additional rail slots, but I moved them over to another rifle and decided I don’t mind my thumb riding on top of the sight. Lastly, I really like BCM KAG foregrips, and have them on most of my rifles, but just didn’t have the railestate on this one to get it to work. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Captains1911; 02-28-21 at 21:22.

Feedback Score
    1. I don't feel buis necessary for HD due to range if you have a good sight and change batteries every year.

2, check out the trex light bar if it will always wear a silencer. Puts the light far enough out to pretty much eliminate shadow.
    3 . I would skip the laser. This would also free up rail space for buis if you want them... I'd run fixed for your situation since you probably won't have time to mess with flip ups in a HD situation.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-01-21 at 08:22.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Most likely a quick optic, tac-light, and laser (or light/laser combo) will do you well. If this is primarily indoors defense, just point and commence firing.

Feedback Score
    Have pretty much the same set up.
    Has more then enough real estate.

You have a red dot and a white light. Why would you need a laser?
    You spend too much time trying to find the laser dot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I say dump the BUIS and spend the money on an Aimpoint Comp M5/T2 and a solid mount. You're not gonna kill a T2 inside your house. VFG shouldn't be a problem but keep it simple. And as for the light, I don't see why you'd go TLR when a 18350 Modlite could be had. Not that the TLR is bad, but aside from cost I don't see why you wouldn't get a compact scout instead. There's plenty of mounts that'll tuck it in nicely with whatever IR/laser you're thinking.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do NOT drop an optic in favor of a laser. The optic is going to be faster than the laser. In fact, ditch the laser period even if you had space. It's useless unless IR for NV aiming.

Priorities (in order): White light, optic.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Use a longer handguard.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I just don’t get the need to go shorter than 10.3, but it’s your world. Every inch gets pickier and pickier. I know folks have guns that run. Anything shorter than 10.3, I’m going PCC in a proven gun. Think MP5, B&T APC...

Good luck man.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast