Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on an AR 8.5" SBR setup

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I just don’t get the need to go shorter than 10.3, but it’s your world. Every inch gets pickier and pickier. I know folks have guns that run. Anything shorter than 10.3, I’m going PCC in a proven gun. Think MP5, B&T APC...

Good luck man.

PB
    We’re discussing 300 BLK and the downside of shorter hand guards, not the reliability of 5.56 barrels shorter than 10.3”.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I said good luck and meant it. Don't be so fussy. Not everybody here is going to champion your ideas. That is the value of a forum.

You never said if you have any 300 BO Ammo?

Now relax and don't cry if everybody doesn't love your idea. It's all good.

PB

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I said good luck and meant it. Don't be so fussy. Not everybody here is going to champion your ideas. That is the value of a forum.

PB
    I’m not the OP, I was just pointing out the irrelevancy of your response.

Feedback Score
    As others have said ditch the laser. Your priorities should be light, optic, vfg, buis. Also I imagine you know but get good quality mags, ie 300blk pmags/lancer mags or tested usgi mags. Also, resist the urge to use subs. You should choose a good, tested supersonic load. 110 barnes tsx is king, but there are other tested loads

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

PB

OP's very first sentence says this is a 300 blackout build. It follows different rules than 5.56. It was specifically created to fun optimally in a 9" barrel for example. You seem to be stuck thinking 5.56 but that's not what's on the table here. And you aren't talking to the OP so it's not his idea.

Relax.
    Last edited by Warp; 03-06-21 at 19:07.

Feedback Score
    I appreciate the wide array of opinions. Thank you.

I am ditching the BUIS, as many suggested and I'm gonna try a Magpul forward offset light mount at 9 o'clock.

The one thing I struggle with is using the green laser as backup for the red dot. A few have mentioned ditching the laser; however, when Holosun had a demo day for my agency, the green laser illuminator was a huge hit, especially on auto and rapid semi-auto. For home defense, it seemed like an obvious benefit, especially considering low light, bleary-eyed, middle-of-the-night action. What am I overlooking?

Feedback Score
    Couple things to consider... I know you said it's gonna be a .300 BO, so the shorter barrel will work fine, but in going short, you will run into one problem the 7.5" 5.56 guys run into. The rail will be so short that it may compromise you grip, or where you want to place items on the gun like the VFG and light. This alone may be reason enough to go with a longer barrel. My .300 BO (when I had one) had the 11.3" Wilson Combat barrel, and it worked out perfect. Also, if you are going to be using this as a defensive weapon for the home, you'll not be running subsonic rounds, and limiting yourself to handgun like energy levels when there are rounds like the 110 gr VOR-TX out there. With a super sonic round, the longer barrel will help. In any case... prioritize the red dot, light, and VFG. Only worry about BUIS if you have the space left. Don't forget a sling. You may need to use your hands at some point...
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you use a longer handguard, one that covers part of the suppressor, you can buy yourself more rail estate. A mid length tube should work. Maybe even a rifle length.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12