Thread: AK Gunsmith Greater Pittsburgh Area

Feedback Score

AK Gunsmith Greater Pittsburgh Area

Anyone know of a good AK gunsmith within an hour or two of Pittsburgh? I need to get my barrel threaded 24x1 LH and no one I know wants to do anything other than 1/2x28 RH. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    There isn't a 24x1 LH threading for AK's as far as I know. I think you meant 14x1 LH. AK74's are 24x1.5 RH.

There's actually a gunsmith that lives in your house. He's you.
    https://www.carolinashooterssupply.c...ory_s/2209.htm

Buy one of these kits and don't look back. If I can do it, you can do it. You'll spend about the same amount of money and will end up with a tool so you can do it next time for free. Don't listed to that crap about having to remove the barrel and put it in a lathe. You don't want someone pressing out your barrel, threading it and then pressing it back in. I've used this tool multiple times without failure. Any yes, I've even used a suppressor on the threads I cut.

Here's another question for you. How are you going to secure your muzzle attachment in place? Do you have a picture of the muzzle in its current state?

Feedback Score
    It’s the warcomp ak47 and yeah you’re right it’s 14x1 LH. I plan on having the barrel cut to 14.5 then having it pinned on.

Feedback Score
    What rifle do you have? Picture? Cutting the barrel will impact the gas system.

You can cut the barrel yourself too. Go to page 16 in the link below. I've done several and they all came out perfect.
    https://mansonreamers.files.wordpres...med-file-1.pdf

Feedback Score
    It’s is a PSA AK103. I’m also adding a DAG13 adjustable gas block.

Feedback Score
    OK. So you're going to be getting rid of your front sight and replacing the gas block with the DAG13 which is a combination front sight gas block. Then you're going to have a bit of barrel in front of that plus the muzzle attachment to get you to 16". I read up on the DAG13. It looks interesting. You do have a few things to consider and make sure of. Verify that the outside diameter of your barrel is 0.592" or greater. You might be able to get away with 0.591", but any less and you're not going to have a proper press fit. Any more than 0.593" and you're going to need to have the barrel turned down. The DAG13 page on Definitive Arms website doesn't indicate if it's pinned in place or uses set screws. Hopefully it uses pins. The odds of the pin holes lining up with the ones from your current gas block are small. They'll need to be redrilled by someone competent to do so. When it comes to the gas port, there are actually two to consider. There's the size of the hole in the gas block. That's taken care of by the DAG13 and is adjustable. Then there's the size of the hole in the barrel. The smaller of the two determines the maximum amount of gas that will go from the barrel back to push the piston. What I'm getting at here is that if the size of the gas hole in the barrel is too small, you may not get the full range of adjustment that the DAG13 offers. The good news is that almost all AK's are way over gassed which means that the size of the gas hole in the barrel is plenty big. I don't own any PSA AK's, but I'm betting they are no different.

The Warcomp is actually available in different threadings. You can go 1/2x28 RH as long as you buy the Warcomp with the matching threading. I'd stick with 1x14 LH if possible. For that, the outside diameter of the barrel needs to be between approximately 0.551" and 0.571". Any less and you won't have enough for threads. Any more and you'll need to get that part of the barrel turned down prior to threading. Or, if the outside diameter of your barrel at that point is in the 0.500" to 0.520" range, then you can just go with 1/2x28 RH to avoid turning down the barrel. That said, you're going to be out of luck on the DAG13 if the outside diameter of your barrel isn't 0.592" or greater. If that works, you're going to need to have the barrel turned down for the muzzle attachment anyway.

Do you have a caliper to measure the outside diameter of your barrel? If so, do it at various points.

Finally, given the totality of what you're looking at here, I think a good experienced AK gunsmith is in order unless you're mechanically inclined and really want to do it yourself.
    Last edited by Bret; 03-01-21 at 11:15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHandsome View Post
    Anyone know of a good AK gunsmith within an hour or two of Pittsburgh? I need to get my barrel threaded 24x1 LH and no one I know wants to do anything other than 1/2x28 RH. Thanks in advance.
    I'm about 45 minutes north of Pittsburgh. I'd love to know of a good AK gunsmith in our region. I can do some work myself, but a good gunsmith can make all the difference with these things

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk