Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reloaders, a question.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    You use large rifle primers for 5.56?
    corrected, swapped 400 and 200 in my head
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Lee data tends to run on the mild side. I would lean to the manufacturer's data but seek out a 3rd data source if there is a wide disparity between the 2.

The faster the powder, the less room there is for error.
    I think I've developed a sort of hierarchy for load data:

1. Powder manufacturers' recent load data.

2. Bullet manufacturers' reloading manuals.

3. Third party loading manuals, e.g. Lyman.

4. Internet, magazine articles, recipes of friends.

Once, only once, did I build a load by extrapolating from another caliber. I needed a midrange load for 44 magnum, 240 grains at 1000 fps or so, with AA#5 powder. Halfway between 44 mag and 44 spl. I did not find such a midrange load in any source. All 44 data is either 44 spl at around 750 fps, or duplicates factory magnum loads.

I did see a similar load in AA's data for .45 Colt, in the standard pressure section. .45 Colt has a similar sized case to .44 magnum, and the bullet is 250 grains vs. 240. Close enough. And I would not have done this except these are very low pressure loads in a 629, nowhere near SAAMI spec for magnum loads. Plenty of room for safety. Load worked out excellently.

New reloaders should never do this. I could because I knew what I was doing, and why.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 03-18-21 at 01:37.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I would advise against picking up reloading at this time, doubly so considering you are not sure what you want.

Reloading tools (presses, dies, powder measures) are in short supply due to both Covid production effects and ammunition shortages. Reloading component availability is even worse.

Even if you decide on the perfect equipment for your needs, it may (99% will) be out of stock and then the temptation is to compromise.

Components are hard to find, especially primers, and cost has been effected.

If you determine what equipment is best and you find some or all (at decent prices) then buy it. Just understand that you won't be buying the selected powder, primers, and projectiles in quantity unless you are willing to pay panic prices.

Andy
    Thanks for the answer. At this stage, I am still looking at what I may need, I want to first calculate the cost of purchasing everything I need at this stage, and after that I will make a decision whether it is worth doing it now or is it better to monitor prices and wait for them to decrease over time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123