Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloaders, a question.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldArmy01 View Post
    Well I fired a few loaded @ 22.9gr in my 11.5" AR, I figured it has the least gas duration, so if it cycles, the 20 and 24" with rifle gas surly would be fine.
    Not necessarily. The peak pressure with faster powders can drop by the time the bullet passes the longer gas systems' ports. Since you're matching a fast powder with a light bullet, you shouldn't run into problems with any gas system.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Winchester.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Not necessarily. The peak pressure with faster powders can drop by the time the bullet passes the longer gas systems' ports. Since you're matching a fast powder with a light bullet, you shouldn't run into problems with any gas system.
    This is a good point that was in the back of my head. Now I think I'll fire a few from the 20" just to see how it cycles the ones loaded ar 22.9gr.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldArmy01 View Post
    Winchester.
    I asked because standard CCI 400 SR primers flatten rather dramatically with my mild .223/5.56 loads. The CCI 41 "military" primers don't.

Andy

Feedback Score
    I thought about the possibility of refueling ammo with my own hands, but this requires a press. I do not understand them at all and therefore I am actively studying various articles and reviews. The last article I read is this one https://homemakerguide.com/best-prog...loading-press/. Everything is described sensibly, but I cannot make a choice. Can someone tell me? There are probably more experienced guys here.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KayBur View Post
    I thought about the possibility of refueling ammo with my own hands, but this requires a press. I do not understand them at all and therefore I am actively studying various articles and reviews. The last article I read is this one https://homemakerguide.com/best-prog...loading-press/. Everything is described sensibly, but I cannot make a choice. Can someone tell me? There are probably more experienced guys here.
    What types of ammo are you after and in what quantity?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KayBur View Post
    I would advise against picking up reloading at this time, doubly so considering you are not sure what you want.

Reloading tools (presses, dies, powder measures) are in short supply due to both Covid production effects and ammunition shortages. Reloading component availability is even worse.

Even if you decide on the perfect equipment for your needs, it may (99% will) be out of stock and then the temptation is to compromise.

Components are hard to find, especially primers, and cost has been effected.

If you determine what equipment is best and you find some or all (at decent prices) then buy it. Just understand that you won't be buying the selected powder, primers, and projectiles in quantity unless you are willing to pay panic prices.

Andy

Feedback Score
    I agree that primers are tough to get. Even if you find them, they are often crazy over-priced. Presses can be had fairly easily if you pay attention to the reloading page on Discord. I bet I get notices of a variety of presses in stock at least 10 times a week. Midway and Natchez commonly get presses in stock.

https://www.midwayusa.com/reloading-...s/br?cid=23847
    Last edited by Red*Lion; 03-15-21 at 08:44.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I cannot comment on the A2015 powder.

But I have transferred 223 load data for both 55 gr and 62 gr bullets to use in my 5.56 AR's. I simply add 0.5 gr to the source's 223 Rem start load. Using this method I have found 100% reliability in my three 16" barrels, (2 mid length, 1 carbine), one 14.5" carbine and one 11.5" carbine.

I have used CFE 223, BLC-2 and norma 200 (RL-7) using this method. CCI 400 primers only.

here's one good source, but there are many many more.

https://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf
    Last edited by matemike; 03-15-21 at 09:19.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    I cannot comment on the A2015 powder.

But I have transferred 223 load data for both 55 gr and 62 gr bullets to use in my 5.56 AR's. I simply add 0.5 gr to the source's 223 Rem start load. Using this method I have found 100% reliability in my three 16" barrels, (2 mid length, 1 carbine), one 14.5" carbine and one 11.5" carbine.

I have used CFE 223, BLC-2 and norma 200 using this method. CCI 200 primers only.

here's one good source, but there are many many more.

https://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf
    You use large rifle primers for 5.56?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast