Thread: Trijicon 1-8x VCOG Illumination

Feedback Score

Trijicon 1-8x VCOG Illumination

Just received the subject scope NIB and wanted to bounce some observations off the folks here.

If I crank it to 8x and turn on the illumination at any brightness level the bottom right circle segment has an aberration in it. It's like if you stuck your finger on a smoothly frosted cake. The segment is all red but it's just not consistent in that spot. If I crank it down to about 4x the aberration goes away but then I imagine that would be expected as the segment is squeezed so to speak. If I turn the illumination off all four segments are perfectly black. The thing is if using illumination your eye is inherently drawn to it the aberration.

I also got the scope out around twilight to check how well it does in low light. Works well. Through the lens is noticeably brighter than the naked eye. If I turn on the illumination it looks like, for lack of a better description, bleed-through on some of the numbers. I can see little red bright spots where I imagine the numbers should have been completely filled with black. In the photo you can see it well on the "20". I have other pics that show it on the other numbers. I tested it at levels 8 and 4 and the spots appear regardless of the level.

Is this tolerable with this technology? I would think for the price of this scope it would be better or maybe I got one that slipped through QA.

Any opinions much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Bleed through on the numbers is pretty normal, but the splotch on the bottom right illuminated segment would bother me enough to return it or have it serviced under warranty.

Feedback Score
    Hello, its my first post on this forum. I actually just got the vcog 1-8 today and want to chime on its illumination. I'll try to post pics if I have time, but today it was pretty bright close to 80° here in long Island NY. The illumination was decent, you can see the red on the segmented circle the center cross is harder to precieve on 1x but on 8x of course its more detectable. It reminds me of the Kahles 1-6 in a bright sunny day. Interesting thing there was no noticeable bleeding on the reticle but I think if it has it I would see it during low light situations, the Leopold mk6 1-6 had a awful bleeding it looked like the entire reticle illuminated. Anyways I'll keep looking through this vcog and if anyone wants to know anything and compare notes just let me know.