Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New barrel

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AAMP84 View Post
    The people turning the barrel is far more important than the features of the barrel.
    Ok I do agree, I have been doing some research, and with what I have seen, and with all the recommendations here they are looking pretty good. Unfortunately at this time I will have to wait for my choice to come back in stock. 18 inch, heavy flutted rifle length gas system 1 in 8 twist, Wylde chamber. Thanks again for everyone's response.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    If nitride is a requirement i would go with Criterion over Faxon all day. This one has 6 groove rifling

https://criterionbarrels.com/product...v=00dc5da36527

Feedback Score
    I have a Criterion 18" ultralight, it shoots more then well enough for my standards, I haven't shot it hard-core for groups, but I shot maybe 5 groups, 3 were 1.2-1.5 inches and 2 were .6-.7, I'll say if I could have gotten a more steady position that day it likely would have all been below an inch. I've shot it out to distance, and after a few hours of shooting a moderate-mild pace (barrel was warm enough to not want to hold but not hot enough to burn) I managed to hit a 3moa 1000yd target a couple times. I would be more then happy with a heavy barrel from them over other brands. This was their chrome lined barrel as well, so its accurate enough to say its a 3/4 to MOA gun, with a shooter capable of getting it settled and I feel like it would do better with handloads. The gun was basically thrown together with a bcm upper and a Mk14? handguard, whatever geissele has mlok only on 3, 6, and 9 o'clock, and picatinny at the ends, and a non matched bolt, so there's plenty of room to improve the component and assembly if you were starting from scratch. Highly recommend them, I'll say they're not super over gassed, I think my port was something like .097, but it did seem to like a heavier buffer, my brother had a 18 CORE barrel with a light bcg and it went from shooting around an inch to 2+ with 75gr handloads when switching carriers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Faxon was the worst barrel we ever shot. Pappabear bought a thin profile/light weight version. We could never get it to shoot after running it for like 300-400 rounds. He sent it in to Faxon because the accuracy was poor, and they told him it looked like 10,000 rounds had been through it.

Bad QPQ/melonite job is our best guess.
    Same here. Absolute POS! It was all over the place - barely hit paper at 50 Yds. Not kidding.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I second this and I’ll add Douglas barrels as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I don’t know about a lot of barrels but I stick with Colt and Daniel Defense if I have the option and have never been let down.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    I second this and I’ll add Douglas barrels as well.
    Does Douglas chamber rifles or was the blank made by them? I’ve considered buying a barrel from Compass lake and they use some high quality blanks for their finished products.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post
    Does Douglas chamber rifles or was the blank made by them? I’ve considered buying a barrel from Compass lake and they use some high quality blanks for their finished products.
    I had a bolt gun rebarreled in 98 with a Douglas Premium Air Gauge and the blank was just bored and rifled and the smith had to chamber, turn the conture,cut it to length and do the crown. The rifle is still one of my favorites.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Every barrel I have bought has been for a SPR or RECCE build. Those barrels were plug and play.

I don’t know if that answers your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123