Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which sight(s) are you using on your dedicated NV carbine?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

Which sight(s) are you using on your dedicated NV carbine?

I'm new to this stuff so I'm still trying to figure is all out, so like the title says what are you using on your night fighting carbines, RDS, Halo, LPVO, irons? A combo or what? How do you set it up?

I'm thinking use my laser/iliminator for passive aiming under NODs and an Aimpoint Micro for when the lights come on. I know this will blend in with tactics so any insights would be appreciated.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Which sight(s) are you using on your dedicated NV carbine?

So, I’m about a year and 1/2 into becoming woke with NV. It’s been life altering. No expert, but learning.

My primary night carbine is a DD MK18 SBR, suppressed. I have been running a T2 as my passive and a DBAL A3 as my active. I don’t love the DBAL but it works. The illuminator sucks. I have a SF IR/WL WML that helps.

I know there are other options like a MAWL or Luna for better illumination and longer distance capabilities but training out to 100 yds with my setup is adequate.

To be honest, I barely use the passive RDS (T2). I train with it but it is more like backup if the laser go tits up. Laser is the shizdizzle on the carbine.

OTOH, the RMR on my Glock 45 night gun pistol is great. But, I’m thinking about a TOR mini but not sure what to do about the WL component.

I’m sure Robert from JRH and other experts will have more/better insight.

EDIT TO ADD: I’m running BNVD.

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I'm new to this stuff so I'm still trying to figure is all out, so like the title says what are you using on your night fighting carbines, RDS, Halo, LPVO, irons? A combo or what? How do you set it up?

I'm thinking use my laser/iliminator for passive aiming under NODs and an Aimpoint Micro for when the lights come on. I know this will blend in with tactics so any insights would be appreciated.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by arptsprt; 03-04-21 at 19:37.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Passive aiming means no laser.

I run a bunch of guns. They all have Aimpoint micros. Aimpoint Comp M5, a few T2s and a lot of T1s. But like arptspt said I almost never shoot passive. Like 99.99% I use a laser, unless it’s a handgun. Those are all RMRs.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 03-03-21 at 05:55.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I would really like to get into an NV class sometime this year to learn what I don’t know I need to learn.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I just picked up the newish Holosun HE530G-RD. Kind of shaped like an MRO but with a 30mm objective and micro compatible footprint.

This thing has amazing clarity and light transmission with a much better field of view than micros I had been using.

I hope to shoot a night match with it Friday.

My active aiming solution is a full power DBAL.

Metro just revealed their new O2 sight... Man that thing looks amazing. One button NV mode like eotech. Multiple reticules and zeros so you can shoot 300blk and just toggle between sub and super. Me want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Passive aiming means no laser.
    I thought it meant no optic. Thanks for the info.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I would really like to get into an NV class sometime this year to learn what I don’t know I need to learn.
    That's where I am, I plan to take a NV class with Bill Blowers and Chuck Pressburg this summer.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I find passive aiming easier with dual tubes, but it can be done with a PVS14.

In that vein the easiest setups to use for passive aiming that we own is a M4 with an Aimpoint PRO. We have another M4 that I have a 4X ACOG on with an RMR piggybacked. That works well also.

All have IR lasers on them as well- mostly DBAL-I2 9007 models (IR laser and IR illuminator) as well as Luna ELIR3 IR illuminators for longer distance applications.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)

My work rifle is:

EOTech EXPS 3-0, PEQ-15, M620V. TAPS Sync (V4) controls the light and laser.

Work pistol:

G19 with RM09, X300U.

Without going into tactics, I'm primarily under NODs on approach and we hit with white light.

I would avoid tritium sights on pistols if you plan to shoot under NODs with an RMR. I run plain black pistol irons. TAPS Sync is great; I have a room-filling IR and laser in tandem, or I can run white light with vis laser if I want to. This is handy when wearing a pro mask.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Augee
    As others have alluded to, the EOTech provides the best light transmission of any RDS I've tried so far, due to both the holographic technology used, which does not require the same types of lens coatings as projected LED dots, and bears more resemblance to a fighter aircraft's HUD than most other red dot sights available on the market.

Moreover, both the housing size and shape translate to better light transmission as well as field of view--not only is the EOTech's housing and protective outer hood thin, and designed to allow some light to pass through, the rectangular shape (as opposed to circular) means that more light can get "past" the optic housing due to asymmetry between the image intensifier's field of view and the optic. A circular FOV essentially creates a concentric "blockage" that ultimately prevents more light from reaching the image intensifier's objective lens, leading to a darker overall image--even if the optic housing is only "seen" as a blur or shadow, it is still blocking valuable light from reaching the user when placed between the target and shooter.

Night vision compatible EOTechs also not only have the convenient "NV" button that allows you to immediately switch between daylight brightness and passive NV use, but the buttons also "remember" the brightness settings, meaning you don't have to cycle through to find the "right" setting as much as you would on a rheostat dial.

Moreover, the NV-compatible EOTechs have ten brightness settings for NV use, as opposed to the 2-4 that are common on most other dot optics, allowing you to more precisely dial the brightness for your environment and intended use. Having shot passive for quite a while, depending on environment and conditions, I've needed to dial the brightness back to the "bottom" of the NV settings in extremely dark conditions, to actually needing to go into lower visible settings in brighter environments.

Our daylight optics often have 8-12 daylight brightness settings based on variability of conditions, I see no reason why our NV optics should not also. Four is less than ideal, and two pretty much only works for pistol applications.

Different optics have their own advantages and disadvantages, and I use a lot of other optics, including for passive NV use, including T1s and T2s depending on what my particular needs are for that rifle--I am far from saying that the EOTech is the only serviceable optic for passive aiming use.

However, if performance and capabilities for passive NV shooting are the sole consideration, EOTechs are still the best I've used by a wide margin.

~Augee
    Source: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/P...8878/#i5422567

So, for a dedicated night gun, there is a strong argument to be made for the EOTech, I guess. I personally run a CompM5 on a Scalarworks 1.93", as my laser-equipped rifle is intended as a jack-of-all-trades, rather than a dedicated night gun (also have a RAID-X with a TAPS Sync); I might get a dedicated no-light CQB gun down the line, but it seems unlikely for now. I also have adjustable RMRs at 1200 on my LPVO guns, so they are still NVG capable, even though they do not have any lasers yet.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast