Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roll of a rifle and a new cast member

Feedback Score

Roll of a rifle and a new cast member

Well I have a classic first world problem, what new upper to add to a AR lower without a mate.

I have recently crawled out from under a rock and discovered AR pistol braces and now “have to have” a 11.5 setup.

What I am trying to decide is what sighting device I should be running with what length of barrel to optimize the rifles primary role.

How would you put these pieces together?

Rifles:
    14.5” lightweight fluted, free floating, Mid
    16” government profile, FSB, mid
    11.5” CHF, free floating, carbine

Sights
    T2
    Vortex razor 1-8
    Comp M3
    Aim point 3x

I was originally thinking of removing the FSB from the 16” but am now leaning towards leaving that “classic” setup with my Comp m3 and 3x.
    T2 on the 11.5
    LPVO on the 14.5

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nermol View Post

I was originally thinking of removing the FSB from the 16” but am now leaning towards leaving that “classic” setup with my Comp m3 and 3x.
    T2 on the 11.5
    LPVO on the 14.5

I’d do it the same way.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I’d do it the same way.
    Yup, same here.

Not that I G.A.S. but magnified optics on AR pistols was one of the criteria ATF was looking at in determining "intent" to use as a rifle etc.....All mine wear red dots as I think it's the most practical anyway....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I know some people like to “LPVO all the things” and put them on 11.5” and 12.5” guns but I would concur with the previous opinions.
    If an 11.5” were your only gun I guess I could see sticking an LPVO on it for max versatility but if you have multiple ARs I would (and do) put a red dot on the short barreled one.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    On an 11.5 I would run a red dot because my focus on a gun like that would be cqb.

I would be hesitant to put a lpvo on the 14.5 lightweight.

I have a 16" gun that naked tips the scales just under 6lbs. I have an acog on it because it still keeps it lightweight and handy. I recently tried a 1-8x on it and it changed the balance of the gun a lot and I put the acog back on.

I also don't like using a lpvo with a fixed front sight. I find the front sight on 1x to be very annoying because they don't have a true 1x like a red dot does and the lpvo will magnify the front sight a little.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Soli Deo Gloria

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jesuvuah View Post
    On an 11.5 I would run a red dot because my focus on a gun like that would be cqb.

I would be hesitant to put a lpvo on the 14.5 lightweight.

I have a 16" gun that naked tips the scales just under 6lbs. I have an acog on it because it still keeps it lightweight and handy. I recently tried a 1-8x on it and it changed the balance of the gun a lot and I put the acog back on.

I also don't like using a lpvo with a fixed front sight. I find the front sight on 1x to be very annoying because they don't have a true 1x like a red dot does and the lpvo will magnify the front sight a little.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Soli Deo Gloria
    I have the same concern with the LPVO on the 14.5. That Vortex is an awesome piece of kit but is definitely heavy. I have the LPVO on my 16” with the FSB today as it is already a “heavier” build but the FSB is distracting at 1x. This is why I started down the path to replace the FSB with a new gas block and hand guard.

I’ve always been a red dot guy on my AR’s, with the option to slap on the 3x when needed. Out to 400 yards was no issue, but beyond that the holdovers in space get tough. I kinda bought the LPVO whim, and am frankly trying to figure out what the best rifle for it looks like. That is how I got to updating my 16” mid.

The other issue is that T2 on the ELW-F barrel AR is super nice.....

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    “ I was originally thinking of removing the FSB from the 16” but am now leaning towards leaving that “classic” setup with my Comp m3 and 3x.
    T2 on the 11.5
    LPVO on the 14.5”

Yep. Same.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If it's legal to do so in your state, I would just SBR it. For the price of a decent brace you can pretty much buy a stamp.

As far as optic, what range are you shooting at? There's nothing stopping an SBR from going 300 yards or more, but the question is whether you would actually use it at that range or not. Do you even have access to a place where you can shoot that far?

The standard optic for the Mk18 has become the Elcan 1-4, so SOCOM and its troops obviously all see the advantages of magnified optics on short guns. Like I said, it just depends on whether you would actually use it at those ranges or not. If you're doing some kind of competition shooting, it would almost certainly be an advantage. If you're just shooting inside 100-200 yards then the additional weight and expense probably isn't worth it. Just throw an Aimpoint on it and be done with it.

Another option is to get an Aimpoint T2, which will leave you the option of putting a magnifier on it down the road. What gets said most often about variable scopes is that people seldom use the magnification settings in the middle, so you wouldn't be losing anything going that route.

Feedback Score
    You pretty much nailed the combo with what you listed, maybe put the razor in a qd mount and have either irons or one of the red dots in another qd mount to bounce back and forth, if you don't always want the extra weight

Feedback Score
    If you're using a brace - It's a pistol, not a rifle. :/
    ,——'¯¯';=====±—-
    !‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶
    One is just never enough...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast