Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Help me buy a .45 ACP pistol that's not a 1911 UPDATE: G21 it is

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    MP 45 fullsize thumb safety is a fantastic pistol. Accurate and reliable.
    I totally agree. Mine is exceedingly accurate (has a very tight chamber). I like having a thumb safety. You don't have to use the safety if you don't like it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks everybody. Leaning towards the M&P45 but the HK is pretty cool . . . .

ETA: going to gun show this weekend. M&P45 is high on the list. I sort of wanted something new, but the idea of a gun identical to my EDC but it throws out shells as big as those on the Battleship Texas is also cool.

UPDATE. At gun show I didn't see a single M&P45. Not one. There were few of anything in .45 ACP.

MORE UPDATE: thinking harder about Glock 21. Owners have opinion?
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 03-07-21 at 16:24.

Feedback Score
    If you're comparing plastic .45 options they'll all be kinda the same.

M&P45: good capacity for ban state travel, reasonably shootable trigger in the 2.0 series, grip texture may snag or tear up your clothing if carried IWB/AIWB. Owned two, now have one, an M&P45 1.0 Midsize I paid like $230 for back in the good old days. Use as a disposable carry gun to states with mag capacity limits.

Glock 21: Very mechanically accurate for whatever reason. Effin huge. Hope you have big paws. Get a Gen 4 to mitigate size. Owned one, now have zero. I'd buy one again in Gen 4 maybe.

HK45/45c: I'll never understand how HK can sell such expensive guns with such terrible triggers. I bet it will run though. Never owned one. Not my thing.

Really they're all kind of the same. If you goal is just "own plastic .45," buy the .45 version of whatever plastic 9mm/40 you carry most often or own the most copies of. If your goal is "own cool .45,' it doesn't matte what you get, they'll all work.

To be honest with the current prices of ammo, if you're not already sitting on at least a case of .45 ACP ball, I would probably save my money and wait until later. My M&P45 sits in my safe and rarely gets shot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Thanks everybody. Leaning towards the M&P45 but the HK is pretty cool . . . .

ETA: going to gun show this weekend. M&P45 is high on the list. I sort of wanted something new, but the idea of a gun identical to my EDC but it throws out shells as big as those on the Battleship Texas is also cool.

UPDATE. At gun show I didn't see a single M&P45. Not one. There were few of anything in .45 ACP.

MORE UPDATE: thinking harder about Glock 21. Owners have opinion?
    I absolutely love mine. It's accurate, fits my hands, and is easy to shoot and manipulate.

And in case you wonder about their legendary toughness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj5Kcs4dzro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOvFSTYcb7c

The torture test videos tend to get nuts.

-E
    Last edited by Entryteam; 03-08-21 at 09:21.
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    UPDATE:

Found a brand new Glock 21 at a reasonable price. I reckon I'll take it out and shoot it later this week. It was either that or find a M&P45.

The G21 is very large, but the Gen 4 seems to be slimmer and less square than the grips on the previous ones. Plus although I'm of average size I have XL hands, and it feels right just to pick it up.

Feedback Score
    Sig P220 or a HK USP .45

Can’t go wrong with either

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    UPDATE:

Found a brand new Glock 21 at a reasonable price. I reckon I'll take it out and shoot it later this week. It was either that or find a M&P45.

The G21 is very large, but the Gen 4 seems to be slimmer and less square than the grips on the previous ones. Plus although I'm of average size I have XL hands, and it feels right just to pick it up.
    I had the M&P45 and I am an M&P guy. Never warmed to the feel in hand.
    G21 Gen 4 and an Overreach trigger I was in HOG Heaven. It's a keeper next to a 1911.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    UPDATE:

I had the M&P45 and I am an M&P guy. Never warmed to the feel in hand.
    G21 Gen 4 and an Overreach trigger I was in HOG Heaven. It's a keeper next to a 1911.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Fired 100 rounds through the G21. Definitely cool. Gen 4 ergonomics do what you need them to do. There's muzzle flip, but recoil is dampened by the plastic frame and the wide hand grip. It's my new range toy now

ETA:

To be honest with the current prices of ammo, if you're not already sitting on at least a case of .45 ACP ball, I would probably save my money and wait until later. My M&P45 sits in my safe and rarely gets shot.

I'm fortunate to be sitting on a huge pile of bullets, powder and primers. I needed a .45 to shoot all that stuff!
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 03-17-21 at 17:46.

Feedback Score
    I have a Walther PPQ 45 and I vividly recall the "ah ha" moment I first picked it up. Very, very similar grip size and feel to 9mm PPQ and same great trigger.
    This pistol has been boringly reliable since day 1. And I am able to shoot it well.
    Really feel like this pistol is overlooked but has a lot of merit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast