Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any reason not to buy an old aimpoint?

Feedback Score

Any reason not to buy an old aimpoint?

Any reason I shouldn't buy an old aimpoint that's the exact model I carried in Iraq back in 2008? There's one at a local gun&pawn for $300, has the lens flash hider, bikini end caps, takes the fat watch batteries. I don't recall the mount that was on it.

Worth it? I'm not building a clone, but my other red dots are Sig Romeo 5 and a vortex Spark II. I Kind of want it just cause, and find the duck bill mount for an A2 carry handle and put it on my 20" but that's silly. A 3x prisim would make more sense on the rifle, so in actuality I'd probably replace the Romeo 5 on my 11.5" with the bigger but probably more trust worthy old Aimpoint.

Allegedly it came from a NG unit? Or so said the store owner.

Feedback Score
    So the store owner is admitting to possession of stolen property? That's the only way he'd get an NG optic.

My guess is he's just trying to make it sound more tacticool. Assuming it ain't hot I see no reason not to get it. $300 is a fair price for an M2 IMO. If it was civilian owned it probably spent most of its life in the safe. Check over carefully.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Well, you say that, but I got a couple SureFire weapon lights back in 2012 when my unit deactivated and well actually I got a lot of stuff over the years from deactivating units where stuffs either not on the books or the person(s) in charge of turn in don't want to mess with turning in some obsecure items with poorly kept records.

Got a lot of tools that way from the mechanics in my first unit. Sooo to me it's certainly plausible. Anyway looks like the exact optic. If there's no reason not to grab it, I'll probably offer this newer lighter Romeo 5 and $150 in cash and see if he takes it.
    Last edited by OldArmy01; 03-04-21 at 23:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can't help but think of all the young men that spent a night walking a line through the woods in Ft Jackson when that thing wound up missing.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Irigin of the light aside, for an aimpoint, I would not turn down an ikd one as long as it didn't look abused. 300 buchs is a bit off from a new one. Sure there are lots of aimpoints from era still running strong.

Feedback Score
    The question would be does Aimpoint warranty cover military red dots owned by civilians?

If they will I think it's a good buy.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They will not fix anything they no longer make

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I’d jump on that. I’ve been looking for a used Comp M2-4 at around that price. They aren’t super easy to find. Aimpoint is tried and true for me. I like that you can leave it on for months at a time. eBay has a lot that look very much like old army optics... some sellers have several up at a time. Maybe something they got from a surplus auction?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    They will not fix anything they no longer make

That's disappointing to hear.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldArmy01 View Post
    That's disappointing to hear.
    I have an old aimpoint that went tits up and I'm SOL. To be fair this thing is like 20 years old and I got it used a decade ago. But it would be nice to still have it working

It's one of the Comp models

Last edited by Arik; 03-06-21 at 07:59.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast