Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 64

Thread: Thermal Defense Solutions Bantam II Suppressor

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,019
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt in TN View Post
    This. And there is no way you could make this design with traditional machining (coming from a licensed mechanical engineer and hobbyist machinist who has made two Form 1 cans already).

    There are lots of things that are 3D printed that could just as easily be traditionally machined, and I agree that is a stupid use of additive manufacturing. TDS cans are NOT that.
    Not only can it be made with traditional machining (we're talking manual lathe here), it can be made with off the shelf components. Will it require welding and or threads? Yes. Is that an actual downside? Heck no! By using a titanium tube and baffles (save for the blast baffle), you would likely get it down to 6oz for that same size, or be able to step up to 1.5" for about the same weight. The reason it's so light is the diameter is tiny, and you shed a ton of weight doing that, at the expense of volume of course.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,019
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt in TN View Post
    This. And there is no way you could make this design with traditional machining (coming from a licensed mechanical engineer and hobbyist machinist who has made two Form 1 cans already).

    There are lots of things that are 3D printed that could just as easily be traditionally machined, and I agree that is a stupid use of additive manufacturing. TDS cans are NOT that.
    Not only can it be made with traditional machining (we're talking manual lathe here), it can be made with off the shelf components. Will it require welding and or threads? Yes. Is that an actual downside? Heck no! By using a titanium tube and baffles (save for the blast baffle), you would likely get it down to 6oz for that same size, or be able to step up to 1.5" for about the same weight. The reason it's so light is the diameter is tiny, and you shed a ton of weight doing that, at the expense of volume of course.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,019
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    NSA says hi.
    Last edited by okie; 04-10-21 at 21:22.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,019
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt in TN View Post
    Part A above is the issue. You are saying flat out their claims are false, and you've never even heard the can. Part B I'd agree with - they have made some fantastic claims that have yet to be substantiated. I didn't believe them either, but eventually decided to take a chance to find out for myself.

    I don't have any test equipment so I sure can't offer proof to substantiate anything, but I'm more than happy with the can. That's all that I was trying to get across with my review. There is so much "they have to full of $hit" out there from people who have never even heard the can in person, I figured I'd at least add a countering perspective from someone who has shot it repeatedly.
    I never said the claims are false. But seriously. If what they're claiming is even remotely true, Dead Air, Knights, AAC, etc. had all better find another occupation, cause it's game over for them if it's true.

    Let's say just the part about being hearing safe on a 16". That size, weight, price, no back pressure, etc.? Yea, basically that would put everyone else out of business.

    And the 137db 10" 556? That's like the silencer equivalent of a car that runs on water. It's the holy grail of silencers.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    231
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I never said the claims are false. But seriously. If what they're claiming is even remotely true, Dead Air, Knights, AAC, etc. had all better find another occupation, cause it's game over for them if it's true.

    Let's say just the part about being hearing safe on a 16". That size, weight, price, no back pressure, etc.? Yea, basically that would put everyone else out of business.

    And the 137db 10" 556? That's like the silencer equivalent of a car that runs on water. It's the holy grail of silencers.
    I'm tired of repeating this. I own the can personally you do not. On a 16" rifle it performs like a full size can in decibel reduction. It has no noticable affect on back pressure and is smaller than most rimfire cans. And it's full auto rated. You keep arguing that it's a bogus claim and you aren't basing that off any evidence.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    231
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I never said the claims are false. But seriously. If what they're claiming is even remotely true, Dead Air, Knights, AAC, etc. had all better find another occupation, cause it's game over for them if it's true.

    Let's say just the part about being hearing safe on a 16". That size, weight, price, no back pressure, etc.? Yea, basically that would put everyone else out of business.

    And the 137db 10" 556? That's like the silencer equivalent of a car that runs on water. It's the holy grail of silencers.
    I'm tired of repeating this. I own the can personally you do not. On a 16" rifle it performs like a full size can in decibel reduction. It has no noticable affect on back pressure and is smaller than most rimfire cans. And it's full auto rated. You keep arguing that it's a bogus claim and you aren't basing that off any evidence.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,019
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatorangecat View Post
    I'm tired of repeating this. I own the can personally you do not. On a 16" rifle it performs like a full size can in decibel reduction. It has no noticable affect on back pressure and is smaller than most rimfire cans. And it's full auto rated. You keep arguing that it's a bogus claim and you aren't basing that off any evidence.
    It's somewhat impressive for a can that small not to ring your ears, I will give you that. That said, the human ear is extremely poor at noise level comparisons, and is easily fooled. Even high end meters are kind of iffy as to whether they're actually getting the peak or not. How a suppressor sounds often has little to do with how safe it is, because the human ear is even worse at detecting the peak than meters, and what you don't hear CAN STILL HURT YOU. Sometimes the more harsh sounding can is easier on the ears than a more pleasant sounding one. Unfortunately, damaging noise doesn't always produce discomfort, and the other way around.

    And like I keep saying, it's obviously a good can. Solid design, obviously solidly built. What I have a major problem with are the unproven and quite frankly wild claims being made by the manufacturer. You say stuff like that without any kind of testing and it's bound to make people suspicious, at least who are in the know and realize how truly wild those claims are. Like it's actually insulting to be told something like that, and told there's testing, and then not shown it. Like what, do they think I was born yesterday? I mean come on, throw it on a Mk18 and do a mag dump without ear pro. Something. Again, don't get me wrong, I'm sure they're fine. Enough people have them and like them. I would even think about buying one because they're basically right up my alley in terms of what I like. That said, I pretty much know what to expect.

    ETA: I've also read quite a few reviews on it, as this is something that obviously interests me, and while they're overwhelmingly positive, I think you're exaggerating a bit. Most reviews state that there was a noticeable reduction in back pressure, and a few say it was by a lot. Nobody said it was non existent.
    Last edited by okie; 04-11-21 at 00:31.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,019
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Seriously, it's every post now
    Last edited by okie; 04-11-21 at 00:25.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    231
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    So now I'm a liar because my personal experience doesn't line up with your expectations. 16" proof barrel, Vltor A5 with an SLR gas block. Bolt locked back on the same setting with and without the can. Was it exactly the same amount of backpressure? I have no way of metering that but it did not require any adjustment of the gas block. Once again we arrive at a point in the conversation where you refute my personal first hand experience. That has been my problem with you the whole time. I don't need you or anyone to validate my purchase. I don't care if you think it's a good can. I know what the can does because I own it. The issue is that you keep making claims about what the suppressor can and can't do. How about you quit pissing all over the thread and let people who actually have shot the can talk about it.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,019
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatorangecat View Post
    So now I'm a liar because my personal experience doesn't line up with your expectations. 16" proof barrel, Vltor A5 with an SLR gas block. Bolt locked back on the same setting with and without the can. Was it exactly the same amount of backpressure? I have no way of metering that but it did not require any adjustment of the gas block. Once again we arrive at a point in the conversation where you refute my personal first hand experience. That has been my problem with you the whole time. I don't need you or anyone to validate my purchase. I don't care if you think it's a good can. I know what the can does because I own it. The issue is that you keep making claims about what the suppressor can and can't do. How about you quit pissing all over the thread and let people who actually have shot the can talk about it.
    Coulda fooled me...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •